Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Here is our situation.

My spouse and I currently live in Sacramento, Ca. Born and raised. My spouse works for a company that has an office in Roanoke, and we are seriously considering moving, as he can transfer. We love the mountains (and cost of living).

How is the job market? I am going to have to take the Virginia bar, but was hoping to have something in the mean time while I studied.

I would love to hear how you all like living in Roanoke too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM

6,371 posts, read 4,199,434 times
First off, I would advise you to read through the first post on the thread page where you posted your thread. Watchful has compiled some great information that includes video and it’s very helpful in gaining an insight into this area.

As you mentioned, the cost of living here is a major attraction along with the entire state of Virginia as being listed asa tax friendly state. Roanoke is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains and beyond it’s scenic beauty, it offers huge outdoor activities that attract many outdoor enthusiasts from adjacent states. Carvins Cove, which is a large natural preserve, has more than 60 miles of trails for hiking, biking or horseback riding. This area has been awarded with a Silver status medal for biking which few other states have obtained. The award process is international, not just limited to the US.

The Appalachian Trail also passes through this area and we have two nearby decent sized rivers for fishing or kayaking, the New River and the James River or you can fish and kayak at Carvins Cove or on the Roanoke River depending on its level. Roanoke also has a Greenway along the Roanoke River for cycling, walking, dog walking etc.

Roanoke had two large medical systems, one of which is the Carilion system who has partnered with Virginia Tech for research and development.

We have moved here from the Northeast about 2.5 years ago and we love it here!

Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions and Good Luck with your search!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:30 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,065,167 times
As far as the job market, the general unemployment rate is at a pretty low level, but that is not transferable to all areas of employment!

https://www.roanoke.com/business/new...e018eed90.html

Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 3,624 times
Hello-

I am curious...have you decided yet if you are moving to the Roanoke area?

Regards,

j
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: