Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Hey Y’all! My husband and I are looking for a new hometown. We originally planned on WNC, but my husband cannot get past all the single wide trailers and high cost of buying. He then turned his eye to this area as a potential place to live so I started to research it. I’ve read a lot on this forum, but a few things I didn’t see. I do like 99% of what I’ve read, though. We are both RNs, early 50’s and we’re looking for a fixer. Not a total rehab, but one that needs some love. I wanted a little farm,but that’s apparently not gonna happen, so a street close to downtown with trees would be awesome. We love breweries and taking our pups out for a walk. It seems that random crime is not really an issue, so what area should I be looking in? Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Start by looking at 24015 and 24016 - these are areas close to downtown that are very desirable for urban neighborhoods.

You will get a little more bang for the buck in 24012 north of downtown - the schools aren't quite as well thought of, but some of the neighborhoods are hidden jewels.

Vinton (24179) is directly contiguous to Roanoke and has its own little downtown area that has seen a lot of improvement and is modest but safe!

Start there and see what your price range tells ya!

Highland Park is a city park in Old Southwest (24016) that has a dog park - so keep that in mind.

24014 has some great neighborhoods but the neighborhoods closest to downtown (like South Roanoke) will not be cheap. But it would be a great place to live!

The neighborhoods with the worst reputations are "Northwest" (24017) and "Southeast" (24013). NW is largely African-American and Southeast is predominantly Anglo. To be honest I think NW has neighborhoods with nicer appearance than much of SE, but the neighborhood amenities aren't always quite so good.

GOOD LUCK! We moved here six years ago and haven't looked back. You are right that random violent crime is not a huge issue. I am an Uber driver and there is nowhere I won't go. Probably the sketchiest street scene would be 2 a.m. downtown when the bars close and a lot of people pour out onto the street at the same time. And of course there are some folks who live pretty rough lives as with most metro areas.

(I haven't really covered the suburban areas further from downtown - based on your original post...but I know others read this too - so there are plenty of nice choices in Roanoke County and of course Salem.)

Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Keep in mind that the trailer thing is going to be common anywhere in the country in Appalachia. There won't be much difference between Roanoke and that part of southwest VA vs. most of WNC. There are plenty of parts of WNC that are actually very affluent.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind that the trailer thing is going to be common anywhere in the country in Appalachia. There won't be much difference between Roanoke and that part of southwest VA vs. most of WNC. There are plenty of parts of WNC that are actually very affluent.
Maybe I'm wearing blinders but I sure don't see all that many trailers in and around Roanoke.

I'll try to pay better attention. (But I also am not sure which part of "WNC" you are talking about!)

Old 06-16-2019, 11:58 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Maybe I'm wearing blinders but I sure don't see all that many trailers in and around Roanoke.

I'll try to pay better attention. (But I also am not sure which part of "WNC" you are talking about!)
Exactly correct, there are not many trailer areas here and the real estate is significantly different than WNC, we looked there before deciding on Roanoke. The housing prices in WNC were high, as far as we were concerned and when we were shown something with in our price range, there were shacks and run down houses either next to or near a home that was something we would possibly purchase. In Roanoke, the neighborhoods are pretty well balanced depending on your price point and modestly priced by comparison.

Also, for those with careers in the medical industry, Roanoke is prime since there are huge expansion plans that are in progress due to the affiliation between Carilion, Virginia Tech and Jefferson College of Health Sciences with Redford University. There’re attracting all kinds of new medical professionals and it should be happening for quite some time.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,695 times
So does this mean that houses & malls are being built rapidly? I assume it does. Are there zoning rules that mean anything in the area? Where is one more likely to escape the development, if anywhere?

Old 07-07-2019, 05:47 PM

New construction is slow - not rapid!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,695 times
That's a surprise, if the medical field is expanding a lot -- other industries tend to follow. I live in one of the fastest growing counties in NC and the constant building breaks my heart, forests, pastures & farm fields dozed out of existence, their animal residents dying because they have nowhere else to go. Population & all its problems have changed this area into a place we wouldn't have moved to, or will soon. It used to be so beautiful. We have good zoning laws but all anyone needs to do is ask for a waiver, and presto! a mall is okayed or yet another housing tract. We want to move to a place where this isn't so prevalent; I know it's impossible to prevent completely.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM

I used to live in the Houston area where the sprawl was unending. A major shopping area would lie dormant while another would be built with huge parking area a mile away.

Because of the terrain, it seems like Roanoke does a better job at redeveloping existing structures rather than just paving paradise. Maybe it is my Houston eyes, but Roanoke has very little sprawl.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Warfield View Post
So does this mean that houses & malls are being built rapidly? I assume it does. Are there zoning rules that mean anything in the area? Where is one more likely to escape the development, if anywhere?
If you take Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem together, the combined population estimate 2018 is 219,636.

In 2000 it was 205,436. That is a small steady growth, but nothing like rapid out-of-control development. Fortunately (imho) a good bit of the population growth is happening "close in" so that the beautiful countryside is mostly preserved (with a few exceptions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area