Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,947 times

Advertisements

Aight so I am originally from saltville which completely different than roanoke so if im stating something obvious sorry anyways I moved into roanoke city area around melrose and 17th street near melrose park. Anyways I enjoyed place at first for cheap rent but wow never guessed this. recently lot guys been chillin on my street late night ringing shots and yelling melrose quanie gang “die heights,sw,and lansdowne.” I put two and two together more being in roanoke city and they are insulting other neighborhoods who have gangs and they are big size gang themselves sometimes up to 50 deep. I was just confused no one ever told me inner city roanoke had gang problems within neighborhoods. I dont regret moving to roanoke city as the greenways and food places are amazing and love the trails. I am just saying my neighborhood isnt the safest with guns and drugs all the time and just never knew anything about it. Dont get me wrong my next door neighbors cool just late night crowd sketchy. So is it true inner city roanoke has neighborhood clicks/gangs? if so why hasnt the local media covered them much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 07:28 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Yeah 17th and Melrose would not be my first choice for a quiet neighborhood!

If the rent is extra cheap, it's probably worth checking out the street scene!

Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Here is one news story from '19...

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/R...563812861.html

Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 PM

54 posts, read 50,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post

Thanks for posting this!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
I grew up in San Diego and live in Roanoke now, it's starting to remind me of California with all the gang related shootings that's happening this year. Not sure what gangs exactly operate out here except the Rollin 30 Crips in Lansdowne, which originated in Los Angeles. The media in Roanoke doesn't mention the names of gangs, just says "gang related". 4 people were just shot yesterday and another today, it's every other day now

Old 11-30-2020, 04:08 PM

50 posts, read 143,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoestline View Post
I grew up in San Diego and live in Roanoke now, it's starting to remind me of California with all the gang related shootings that's happening this year. Not sure what gangs exactly operate out here except the Rollin 30 Crips in Lansdowne, which originated in Los Angeles. The media in Roanoke doesn't mention the names of gangs, just says "gang related". 4 people were just shot yesterday and another today, it's every other day now
Some of the gangs here are; lansdowne,lincoln terrace projects/hunts,8th street,melrose/17th,southwest (like hurt park area),and southeast (indian village/jamestown/dale ave),and the villa heights. Now the news has no problem saying a shooting or fight was gang related but as you said never mention the names of the gangs. I dont know why they dont maybe they feel the gang members will “feel good” to be mentioned by media outlets to be honest have no idea why. Only way to know about them really is being in the inner city lf roanoke which I have through my job doing work through hud all across the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area