Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 01:02 PM

26 posts, read 35,214 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband and I are 29 years old and we're debating where is best to move to start our business.

We've narrowed it down to Roanoke area (Bedford, Christiansburg, Boones Mill, etc), the tri-cities of TN, and Huntsville AL (much closer to my mom and dad in Mississippi though there are bad family issues).

The business my husband is starting is junk removal, hauling, and other things that can put the truck to work such as window cleaning. Now me being a nearly 30-year-old woman, I'm not sure how my stamina will hold out lifting and moving junk to and from a dump trailer. So we'll need to hire on a boy sooner than later, likely.

We currently live in Greenville, SC so we've visited these places extensively. All of these metro areas can be enjoyable places to live life. However, I know that the main factor is work, so I need to place priority on the demand for junk removal.

I've been afraid that with the tri-cities TN metro that there's not enough wealth for consistent demand to this business, and that the population would be more willing to remove their own junk, have their own truck and trailer, and basically would rather save money doing their own cleanouts/removals.

Please let me know if I'm wrong on that. I've already posted in the tri-cities forum, and given this is the Roanoke forum, please let me know if you think a new junk removal business would go well here.

The most difficult part is it's tough to do a market analysis for this type of business. Other people doing junk removal have told me all I can do is choose an area with growth and a population that can afford this service.

I know for a fact this business does great in Knoxville but it's notably more hot and humid (in my opinion) and having grown up in Mississippi, I've had a belly full of that. So I'd rather not move to Knoxville, but I know money and keeping a roof over my head comes first.

I also know this business does great in Charlottesville and as you move up towards DC. There's some people up there who've rapidly expanded their business, hired employees, added on trucks... within 1 year. But I really would rather not have to move up there.

If anyone can please let me know how you think junk removal/cleanouts/hauling would go in the Roanoke metro, or other places you think I should know about, please leave me a reply.

I appreciate your time you took reading post and replying. Y'all have a lovely day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 01:49 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I believe it would do well assuming it is not overly saturated there already with them. A friend of mine retired after 25 years as a police officer in NOVA and started the same business out in Orange County, VA which has a lot less population than Roanoke. I just had lunch with him. He has two crews and only goes into work at times with them as he has a manager for each crew he trusts. He's doing well in this business. He is not that far from Charlottesville but it is far enough out that he is not in the more wealthy areas in and around Charlottesville.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:08 PM

Thank you BigFoot for your reply.

That's great to know he's doing well there, especially since I know there are quite a few competitors in the general Cville area, so there must be enough work for everyone.

I just looked up his county, and I see it's not in the immediate Cville area so that's encouraging that he does well.

Although I do see Orange County is within an hour of Culpepper and Fredericksburg which I know are popular areas.

Would you consider Blacksburg/Cburg as well as Bedford, Troutville and Boones Mill areas to be similar in demographics, popularity, and wealth when compared to that Spotsylvania area?

Old 07-27-2021, 07:42 AM

183 posts, read 146,300 times
The same fears you have about the Tri cities would be applicable in the Roanoke area as well. They're in the same region and are not very well monied.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:10 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
As above... not much different in Roanoke vs the Tri-cities. Folks tend to be more do-it-yourselfers in the whole region, and alot of that is from the economics. But there is a bigger concentration of people in a given area size in the Roanoke Valley and so that would make it the better choice. Also, if you can got to Blacksburg, you might get a bit biz from the university staff there. I don't think there is much economic difference between Knoxville and the Roanoke Valley, so if Knoxville works.......

When I read your post initially, I had the same thought as others: C'ville and on up north in central VA towards DC would be the easiest spot to get going.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
As above... not much different in Roanoke vs the Tri-cities. Folks tend to be more do-it-yourselfers in the whole region, and alot of that is from the economics.
Basically speaking this is true and if they don't do it themselves, they'll have a relative, co-worker, neighbor, etc to help out. Not everywhere for sure, but Roanoke and the surrounding areas are pretty much blue collar. Not blue voters, lol, but blue collars.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Basically speaking this is true and if they don't do it themselves, they'll have a relative, co-worker, neighbor, etc to help out. Not everywhere for sure, but Roanoke and the surrounding areas are pretty much blue collar. Not blue voters, lol, but blue collars.
Yeah, took the words right out of my mouth, that's exactly what all I've been thinking. Lots of these people either have their own truck and trailer, or know someone that does who can help them with the job.

We watch lots of junk removal channels on Youtube and some of these people do so well it's just jaw-dropping. But here's the thing, they are in huge metros out in California, Texas, or if it's east coast, Philadelphia.

I'm not wanting to be somewhere like that, if possible. I'm a small-town girl from Mississippi and only lasted a few months in a big city each time I've tried, lol.

All we're wanting is to do well enough to live, plus have a little extra. But I know sometimes it's not like that, it can be either boom or bust. I suppose if I'm up near DC but business is going great I could easily be happy anywhere. Though I'd love for the New River Valley area to work out enough for us. If only hopes could be made into reality

Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
When I read your post initially, I had the same thought as others: C'ville and on up north in central VA towards DC would be the easiest spot to get going.
Yeah, I know for a fact we'd stay more than busy up there. That goes for many business ideas for sure.

When I was 25 we lived about a half hour from Fredericksburg in King George, VA. Probably should have stayed up there.

We live in Greenville, SC currently. I know lots of people are obsessed with Greenville and really like it. We like it decently enough, but it's still really hot, too far from mountains and physical activity (we hike and bike frequently) and getting crowded here with so many people moving in. I know this business would work well here as well.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingJunkBusiness View Post
Yeah, I know for a fact we'd stay more than busy up there. That goes for many business ideas for sure.

When I was 25 we lived about a half hour from Fredericksburg in King George, VA. Probably should have stayed up there.

We live in Greenville, SC currently. I know lots of people are obsessed with Greenville and really like it. We like it decently enough, but it's still really hot, too far from mountains and physical activity (we hike and bike frequently) and getting crowded here with so many people moving in. I know this business would work well here as well.
Roanoke has such a wide variety of folks and wages and with it growing I see no shortage of customers. If my friend can make it work where he is in Orange then I have to believe Roanoke and area would be a slam dunk.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Roanoke has such a wide variety of folks and wages and with it growing I see no shortage of customers. If my friend can make it work where he is in Orange then I have to believe Roanoke and area would be a slam dunk.
Thanks for the encouragement, it's appreciated. I do have a tendency to make myself too skeptical.

There is an income map called JusticeMap and it shows the income everywhere. There's a number of bluer (on the map, the bluer areas are wealthier) parts all surrounding Blacksburg, as well as west and south of Roanoke. That's nice to see. Your friend's Orange county area looks similar on that income map.

In my heart, I do want Roanoke to be my place. With me being so into biking and outdoors in general, knowing that the whole Roanoke area is known to be a premier destination for these hobbies with many beautiful miles to enjoy the outdoors whether by bike or motorcycle, helps make this place right up my alley!

I probably already said, but I'm not trying to get rich with this, if we can pull like 50K per year then that would be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area