Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,104 times

Advertisements

I will soon be relocating to Lynchburg with my husband who just accepted a job offer. I am a social worker (currently a LMSW in New York) and I will need a job immediately. I have only seen a handful of places to apply. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 AM

125 posts, read 510,774 times
I'm not from Lynchburg, but I took a quick look at job postings (All Social Worker Jobs in Lynchburg, VA | Indeed.com) and looks like Centra Health, City of Lynchburg, and Carilion Clinic in nearby Bedford have the only current openings. Perhaps someone from Lynchburg will offer more info for you.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,664,850 times
I would not count on finding such a job very quickly. Many employers seem to give priority to local residents. It might take 6-12 months. Take whatever you can find for now.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM

42 posts, read 131,444 times
Fitzy80, here is the current Centra listings: Job Postings (http://www.centrahealth.com/career/jobs.aspx - broken link)

Contact for Campbell County Social Services: Campbell County, Virginia - Social Services

Contact for City of Lynchburg Social Services: City of Lynchburg : Social Services

Hope these links copied correctly.

R0adrunner

Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,508 times
Central Virginia Community Services Board - the public mental health/substance abuse services agency.

Central Virginia Community Services

Carilion Clinic in Roanoke needs social workers big time.

Carilion

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Let us know how it works out. Many have said it's hard to get a good job in Lynchburg if you are not a local. My wife found that to be true. She's a MA and surgery scheduler and nobody would even give her a serious look for six months. When we moved back to Seattle she had a great job in a week and at least five solid interviews..

Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM

345 posts, read 1,017,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Let us know how it works out. Many have said it's hard to get a good job in Lynchburg if you are not a local. My wife found that to be true. She's a MA and surgery scheduler and nobody would even give her a serious look for six months. When we moved back to Seattle she had a great job in a week and at least five solid interviews..
Could it be fair to say that since you and your wife were "locals" in Seattle (you said you "moved back there"...) it was easier for your wife to get a job there, too? I think, these days, it's difficult to get a good job anywhere but in the past I found there were only a couple of places I lived where you could move there - NOT being a local - and get a job fairly easily. Those two places being NYC and L.A. But I haven't lived in L.A. in more than twenty years (so I don't know if that's still true) and I left NYC seven years ago. But everytime, in the recent past, I sent my resume in companies in NYC I got a bite.

Perhaps your theory is partly true but I would venture a guess that it depends on what skills and experience you have, too.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:16 PM

Oh sure. But she applied to several jobs in L she was very well qualified for and hardly had any interest. She got one real interview and they picked a local over her. But Seattle is a huge market with constant demand for her skills. L much smaller with lots of competition for any good job. Centra especially seemed to advertise lots of jobs and you never heard from them. I don't mean it as a slam--just a fact of life in smaller towns. Same for Roanoke and CVille. I still look forward to retiring to L but we won't be counting on getting jobs there.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,104 times
Well, so far I had one interview and they want me to go down and meet them. I have another one scheduled for Friday in Lynchburg. So far, so good!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM

69 posts, read 274,241 times
Good to hear. I have a master's degree in counseling and the comments on this board have me anxious about next year when I try to find a job in Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area