Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2022, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

I've been in my apartment since October 2019. The people before us were here for at least 6 years. In that time the carpet was never replaced. I've asked my landlord if I could get it replaced as it's falling apart. They've said they will not replace it while I'm living in the apartment. Which I can understand as it's a pain in the butt with our belongings in the apartment. They also told me that if I wanted it replaced that I could pay to have it replaced myself. In this case as it's been years since it was put in who would be responsible for replacing it? I plan on living her awhile longer, but can't continue with it falling apart every time I vacuum. Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:49 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,041,816 times
The average cost to replace carpeting is:
The average cost to carpet 1,000 sq. ft. is $1,800 to $7,500

I would suggest, being a rental unit, the cost will be toward the lower side. Especially if I were paying for it myself rather than charging it back to the landlord.
My buddy rents about 30 housing units. He will normally work a deal with a tenant that requests new flooring be installed. Maybe half and half shared cost?
Have you given thought to installing a mid-grade LVP flooring and purchasing your own area rugs. If the landlord agrees to split the cost, the LVP would allow you more flexibility in purchasing higher quality area/room rugs for your own use.
Two years ago we did LVP in a downstairs of a townhouse condo we rent. 600 square feet for about $2400 dollars. It was good quality, but on sale closeout flooring.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,021 times
My landlords replacing the carpet as people move out. It's now getting to the point that the carpet is a liability issue. I have two kids that could easily step on carpet nails. That's how bad it's falling apart. I can't even vacuum without it falling apart.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:16 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieelizc View Post
In this case as it's been years since it was put in who would be responsible for replacing it?
VA does not have any requirement under the landlord tenant act to provide for the replacement of carpet. So, the landlord has no duty under the law to replace the carpet. Now, under the law, if the carpet's condition meets the statutory definition of a habitability defect, the landlord would be required to correct the defect. The three primary defects are health hazard, serious safety hazard or a code violation. I would suggest you take detailed photos and videos of the carpet. Seek the assistance of a qualified tenant's advocate or attorney to see if the carpet's condition creates a habitability issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area