Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM

75 posts, read 210,198 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So we will be relocating to Roanoke in the summer and have visited for a few days, driving around with a realtor to see what would could get for our money. We like the SW County area for the views, schools and proximity to husband's job. I have combed through the forums for details on specific areas/neighborhoods in Roanoke. Many people describe desirable neighborhoods in Roanoke City, but SW County seems to be lumped into one area with no distinction for specific neighborhoods. We have 2 small children (not in school yet, but will start soon) so we would like to find an area with lots of other young families (we will not know anyone when we get there and I know my kids will want to have friends nearby)... We have looked at homes in The Groves, The Gardens, Canterbury, Bridlewood. Should any of these be avoided or are there other neighborhoods we should consider as well?

Also, is there really any distinction between being zoned to Hidden Valley or Cave Spring schools? I know HV is newer, but does that necessarily mean better? Thanks for any insight you can give. I was really impressed with how friendly everyone was when we visited Roanoke. Being from Texas (the friendship state) that means a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 16,385 times
I moved to Roanoke in the summer of 2008 and it is truly a great place to raise a family. I live in Steeplehunt of Canterbury Park which means my children go to Cave Spring Elementary which feeds into Hidden Valley MS and HS. Most people will say you can't go wrong with the HV or CS systems. The Canterbury Park neighborhood and neighborhoods connected to it are a wonderful area. Friendly, safe and beautiful. Close to everyday conveniences but yet far enough away. I have two in elementary school and one who eventually will be. I love that the bus just goes thru our neighborhood and across Brambleton to our school. CS elem is undergoing a major remodeling and will be a much envied school. It was already a truly great school but the building will now truly match the quality. We have a new principal who is young and innovative. We have one of the best PTAs you will ever find (I plead bias b/c I am on the board). Tens of thousands of dollars go into the school because of the PTA and with budget cuts abounding this helps keep us from feeling it. I strongly suggest you visit with the principal, Mrs. Poff, and you will be won over to find a house in the CS elementary district!

I think all the neighborhoods you mentioned are favorable. I would be careful about Bridlewood and areas out that way because road construction work will start soon which will have the primary way in out of that area and back towards Back Creek messed up for a while.

I love my neighborhood. I am from Arkansas which is a very friendly place so I am used to nice people, but my goodness, this area of the country is the best. As for my little corner of SW County, it feels like a small town. Started making connections so quickly. Our neighborhood has back to school parties, halloween parties, easter egg hunts, etc. Last year, some Moms put together an impromptu first day of school party. A large group of us got all our kids off at the same stop and had all kinds of treats for them. I could go on and on!!

Good luck! I am open to any way I can help.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM

567 posts, read 2,143,326 times
I'm not much help but I just have to put my 2 cents in - we loved Bridlewood! When we moved, there was just one house for sale in there and it was terribly outdated. It's one of the few neighborhoods around that has contemporary homes. Very pretty area and nice neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks very much for the replies!

Erin, Bridlewood definitely looks beautiful from what I've seen, I was just wondering about the nature of the community as far as being family-oriented?

And Roanoker2008, thanks for all the info about your neighborhood and especially the school. My husband and I both really liked the Canterbury neighborhoods and your experience of being welcomed right away and all the kid-friendly activities just confirmed what we had already heard about the area. Trying to find just the right house (at a decent price) will be the trick for us! And thanks for the heads up about the construction. The realtor mentioned that to us when we were there before, but somehow that slipped my mind! Definitely something to consider...

Anyone familiar with The Groves/Gardens or the Kingston Court area?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 16,385 times
I never looked in those neighborhoods but I believe they are very favorable. Prices have of course gone down in SW County. You can get a lot more money for your house than when I moved here two years ago. The prices will range from 350k in Canterbury Park up to 600k in Steeplehunt of Canterbury.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Good to know. Thanks again for your thoughts! I am very nervous to be moving away from all our friends and family, but everyone says Roanoke is a great place to raise a family so we're not looking back. Anyone know any mom's groups in the area? (PTA sounds great but still have another year before my oldest is in Kindergarten...)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
WGH

16 posts, read 48,839 times
Hey Txtransplant, I am curious to see what you thought about the area when you visited and what you think is the best place to live. My family is moving to VA as well this summer (end of June). Finding a rental property has been a bit of a challenge, but I am sure we will find something. We are visiting the area again the middle of June. Hopefully we will have a home when we leave.

I will be working from home for just a short period of time 2-3 months and then I will be a permanent stay at home mom. Have you been fortunate to find any mom groups out there? I am a new stay at home mom and I am desperate to find things for my children to do (2 1/2 years old and a 6 month old).

Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Hey WGH, check your messages. I'm sending you a PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 PM

126 posts, read 324,864 times
Hi WGH, Have you found yourself a place yet? You were asking about Mothers' groups. I recommend Covenant Presbyterian Church on Deyerle Road. They have a Mothers Day Out program and great music directors for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area