Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,851 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Roanoke within 6-12 months.. Trying to find the best hospital being that both of us work for Pittsburgh Healthcare systems. She’s an RN and I’m in Corporate HR. Can anyone help?

We also have 2 young boys (6 and 3) and both love soccer and looking for area youth soccer organizations to plug them into.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Your best choice may be Carilion Healthcare. Here in SWVA they own about 8 hospitals. Here is a shortcut to their employment page:

Carilion

The other major hospital in the Roanoke metro is Lewis Gale in Salem. Try both but your wife might have more fluidity within Carilion between hospitals while you're sorting out where exactly you'd like to live. No sense working at Lewis Gale if you find your home in Daleville or Rocky Mount or Boones Mill. I suspect an HR position in Carilion would put you near their HQ in Roanoke City. If thats the case then to minimize commute you might stick with Old SW City neighborhoods for the city life, or with the Boones Mill / Hardy / Blue Ridge area for country life (15-25 minute commute one-way).

Hopefully someone can better answer your soccer inquiry. I know that our girls' private school (North Cross) has a great soccer program. Here are some Roanoke youth soccer links:

Valley AFC of Roanoke Virginia
Roanoke Star > HOME ( Blue Sombrero Premium 4.2 )

Sean

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks much and very appreciated.

My wife and I have only driven through Roanoke. We are just looking for a major change in our lives and like that area (according to the map). Of course, we are extremely unaware of different areas/boros/townships, etc.

What is traffic like going into downtown Roanoke?

AND, what are the winters like there? Again, I’m in Pittsburgh and don’t like too much snow…(in fact, I’d rather be in my home of Bakersfield, CA, but I’m married and there’s a level of compromise we are dealing with)

Thanks so much.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM

31 posts, read 144,772 times
My son plays for the Roanoke Star Soccer Club. They are the best club around. They have the best teams in the area at the older ages. They play in two different leagues. So they can accomodate different skill levels. They offer an academy for the younger ages that is excellent. All the coaches are paid, professionally trained coaches. No parent coaches.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshound View Post
What is traffic like going into downtown Roanoke? AND, what are the winters like there?
Depends on where in downtown you are heading to, and from which direction you are coming into downtown. Generally, though, traffic is a non-issue. Winters are mild. We got a couple/few snows last winter. It didn't pile up too bad, and was basically gone in a few days. Do some reading back through the threads here, and you will find tons of info.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 AM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times
I agree with Carilion - it's one of the largest employers in the area. Check out Carilion Also look into the VA hospital in Salem (that would be a federal government job). I think they post on the US Jobs website. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

I would advise to go ahead and start applying for jobs now, especially if your timeline ends up being on the shorter (6 month) end. Carilion takes a long time to get back to people, set up interviews, follow-up, etc.

Traffic is a non-issue, likely coming from Pittsburgh.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks to all.

My wife has already had a job offer from Carilion. She’s a nurse and can find a job in a hole in the wall. I, being in corporate HR, don’t have that type of luxury…

We are not sure whether we will immediately buy a home or look at renting for a year to determine what is best for us.

Again, thanks to everyone for their contributions to this post…it is much appreciated.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 112,805 times
I disagree with the people who suggest Carilion. I would go with HCA Virginia hospitals. They have one in Salem, Lewis-Gale Medical Center which is GREAT saved both of my grandparents some more than once! they also have more hospitals in SW Virginia, Alleghany Regional and others in the New River Valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area