Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,065 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am very new to the boards, but have been lurking for quite a few months. I am seriously considering a move to Roanoke this summer/fall and would love the opportunity to talk to you about it.

A little about myself, I am a single 26 year old and will complete my Masters in Teaching from UVA this May. I am not a native Virginian, but I love it in Virginia and know that I would like to stay. I am not sure where exactly I want to go right now, but I feel a strong pull towards the Roanoke Valley. My sister went to school in Lexington and I have always loved it. Unfortunately, I am getting called crazy by many of my friends and family when I broach the subject of moving to Roanoke. They believe, as a single twenty-something, that I would do better in a larger city like Richmond.

The thing is, I am not a city person at all. I went to college in rural Maine and spent two years after school living and working on a ranch in Wyoming. I have done all my student teaching in rural schools and I loved it. I like the outdoors and a slower paced lifestyle. I LOVE the mountains and the country, love to horseback ride. I grew up 20 miles outside of NYC and have had quite enough of the city! My family is just worried about my ability to meet people in Roanoke. Thus, I was hoping I could talk a little with you all and pick your brains. Of course, my moving depends entirely on my ability to get a job. I know representatives from Roanoke County, Roanoke City as well as Botetourt County will all be at the job fair up here in C'ville in February. I would, as stated, prefer teaching in a rural school, but honestly I would be happy with any job.

Anyway, I hear so much about young families moving to Roanoke and how great it is for families, but what are your opinions about a single twenty-something schoolteacher moving there? Are my family and friends right, am I crazy to want to move here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM

120 posts, read 316,844 times
We're new to Roanoke, and we love it.

I think you should listen to your heart. If you love the area, then you'll be happy. There are single people in Roanoke, and apparently, Roanoke has a decent social scene. (We hear this from our neighbors. We're homebodies.)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,663,241 times
We attend a city church here in Roanoke, and there is a pretty thriving 'young-marrieds' and 'college & career' community within our church. Lots of 20 and 30-somethings around downtown as well...Mill Mtn Coffee, the farmer's market...also in Grandin around the Natural Foods Co-op. I think, if you can snag a job in the area, you'd be pretty stoked here. And you could teach in a small rural-feeling school in one of the counties while still enjoying the stuff going on downtown.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 19,021 times
I am dealing with the exact same issue. I'm guessing your sister went to W&L? I grew up in Lexington and I think it's the most fabulous place in the world. I'll be curious to know what you decide to do! The shenandoah valley is beautiful

Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 8,065 times
I actually went down to Roanoke this past weekend for the job fair and loved it! I went down with a friend who grew up in SW Roanoke and she showed me around a bit. I am getting very excited to make the move. Unfortunately, the budget cuts will make finding a job very difficult. Roanoke County, which usually hires between 50-75 new personnel a year, will only be hiring about 10. Consequently, I've had to open up my job search and am applying to jobs in Franklin and Montgomery County. Cross your fingers for me! I would like to move to Roanoke, but at this point, I'll go wherever there is a job.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM

219 posts, read 878,483 times
I agree with the last poster. Budget cuts are nation wide right now and you've got to go where the best job is. I'd strongly advise against moving before you have something concrete. My girlfriend and I, both mid twenties recently moved here. I had a job line up and she did not. It's taken her 2 months and several interviews to finally land an excellent job. (And I've heard thats pretty fast). Most places favor the locals or at least Virginians before out of state folks.

In terms of the social scene, I've found downtown and southwest roanoke to be the best spots for people our age. There a couple good pubs and come warm weather I'm sure there will be much more to do. It's amazingly beautiful with ample hiking, fishing, camping, ect. I took my dog to fishburne park last weekend and there was a very good mix of younger people to chat with.

We've found the best way to meet people is to get involved with as much as possible....volunteer, join the YMCA (Roanoke just built a brand new one and its VERY nice).

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area