Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 27,825 times

Advertisements

Hi- In casual looking for real estate in Franklin County, I've become hooked on the county's online real estate records search <http://arcims.webgis.net/va/franklin/>. I was really hoping someone could offer insight into the usefulness of using the tax assessment records to get some sort of ballpark estimate for what houses and land are worth. In my limited comparisons it seems the tax assesments are generally lower than the asking price for real estate, but I never know how much the houses end up selling for. Any thoughts? I'm sure it has a lot to do with when the property was assessed, but any general rules of thumb would be appreciated. Have any of yall compared what you paid to what the tax assesment says your property is worth?
Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
The county real estate assessment values in the Franklin County GIS are closer now to market values because properties were reassessed for 2008. In 2007, they were wildly lower than market values. I think that in some cases, you're going to find that the market values are a bit higher, and in other cases, a bit lower.

If you give yourself a crash course in SQL you can use the query button in the mapping data site to pull sales transactions, and export results to Excel. You can then compare assessment values to sale transactions on property bought/sold in the last 12 months.

Sean

Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
I should also mention that, so far, all the economic slowdown seems to have done with most non-lake property values is curtail their appreciation. Of late the new home inventory around where we live has been selling at a higher rate, where earlier during the spring and summer there was a definite lull. I'm thankful to see that investors for the most part are nowhere to be seen, thereby mitigating appreciation.

Sean

Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 27,825 times
Thanks Sean. Thats a big help. Learning the SQL wasn't bad at all, so now I'm playing with all sorts of new stats!
Thanks,
Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area