Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM

120 posts, read 316,430 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Roanoke in the next month or so and I'm hoping y'all can lend a hand on the various neighborhoods and such.

We're looking at a house in Virginia Heights. Can anyone give us the good, bad and the ugly about the neighborhood. My husband likes it. I haven't seen it yet, but we're hoping that we can get some more detailed information from this forum.

From what I've read and already experienced by just speaking to people in Roanoke, it seems like our kind of town--friendly and open and welcoming. Coming from the Northeast, we're looking forward to a more evenly-paced life. Can't wait.

Any info you can give us will be helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 AM

17 posts, read 54,051 times
Virginia Heights, per se, is somewhat eclectic. depending on what specific area you are in. But you are in close proximity to the area known as Raleigh Court & Grandin Village-restaurants, theater, organic food store, shops etc. (really nice). Also close to downtown (2-3 miles) with an active night life, great restaurants, farmer's market (all year) festivals throughout the year. It's kind of a "Georgetown" atmosphere and a great place to raise children. Welcome to Roanoke (soon).

Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM

246 posts, read 782,043 times
Yeah, it's pretty much Raleigh Court. Neighborhood boundaries are somewhat arbitrary in that part of town. Where does Raleigh Court end and Wasena or Grandin Court begin? If you're south of the river and the neighborhood looks well-kept, then you're alright. (Nothing against our friends in NW or NE!)

Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the great responses.

In Roanoke, what constitutes a "well-kept" neighborhood? Where we're moving from, "well-kept" means that you have a statue of the Virgin Mary on the front lawn and that a pot of flowers sits on the porch. In Southern Missouri, well-kept means that you don't have your old living room set sitting on the front porch and your old car isn't sitting in the backyard waiting for it to be gutted.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Can't say that I've seen any statues in the front yard!!! You will definately see the potted plants on the porch, for the most part well manicured yards and sidewalks for the evening stroll along the tree lined streets...homes built in the '20s & '30s large brick colonials (4-square as they are called) and the like. When you get here take a look @ Maiden Lane, Windsor Rd. Upper part of Westover Ave, Sherwood Rd.I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially coming into the fall when the leaves turn the tree colors will remind you of a bowl of TRIX cereal.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM

15 posts, read 58,726 times
I don't have much to add to what's been said. We (me, my wife, and daughter) have lived in what is considered Virginia Heights (it's also considered part of Raleigh Court)for two years now. We love it. It's a quiet, well-kept neighborhood that is very close to the Grandin Village which is a neat area. It's a very walkable neighborhood with a mix of young families and retired people. I don't have anything bad to say about it. And, yes, it is beautiful in the fall

coolasamoose

Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Turner View Post
Can't say that I've seen any statues in the front yard!!! You will definately see the potted plants on the porch, for the most part well manicured yards and sidewalks for the evening stroll along the tree lined streets...homes built in the '20s & '30s large brick colonials (4-square as they are called) and the like. When you get here take a look @ Maiden Lane, Windsor Rd. Upper part of Westover Ave, Sherwood Rd.I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially coming into the fall when the leaves turn the tree colors will remind you of a bowl of TRIX cereal.
The fall colors looking like a bowl of TRIX cereal - I LOVE that image!

Was curious about this area you mentioned - I have a friend possibly taking a job in Roanoke - what would the home prices be like? And are there any apartments for rent in that vicinity?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The fall colors looking like a bowl of TRIX cereal - I LOVE that image!

Was curious about this area you mentioned - I have a friend possibly taking a job in Roanoke - what would the home prices be like? And are there any apartments for rent in that vicinity?
Depending on the street, prices range from about $180K to $280K+ . There are some apartment buildings, duplexes and homes converted into duplexes as well as some single family homes to rent.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,947 times
Default Maiden Lane?

Hey! Moving to the area soon and looking at a place on Maiden Lane. I noticed there's a large apartment complex on that street. Does anyone know if it's low income housing and if so, is it a safe neighborhood? THANKS!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRN View Post
Hey! Moving to the area soon and looking at a place on Maiden Lane. I noticed there's a large apartment complex on that street. Does anyone know if it's low income housing and if so, is it a safe neighborhood? THANKS!
I know exactly the house you're thinking of. The apartment complex is not low-income housing. The architecture of the building leaves a lot to be desired. I know folks who live on that block and they don't have any issues. The building attracts mostly single, older folks and quiet single folks. I walk past the building all the time. Never an issue.

It's a safe neighborhood. One of the best neighborhoods I've ever lived in, by the way. It's diverse and quiet. It boasts a good mix of professionals and "blue collar" folk. Kids ride their bikes. Couples go out for walks. American flags are hung all summer. Really, really, a great place to be.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area