Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 19,348 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are thinking of moving to Roanoke. We are from N.J. but are in Florida right now. Can anyone please give me some information about Roanoke?
Decent neighborhoods?
Crime?
Average rent?
I am used to New Jersey, where the population is highly Hispanic. Some Mexicans, thousands of Hondurans, Guatemalans, Colombians, People from Central and South America, by the thousands.
My town in Jersey is a small town, 2 square miles by 2 square miles, 18,000 people. 15,000 are Hispanic. It is rated as the cleanest town in the area, (very clean), the crime rate has dropped by 80% in the last 10 years.
We are used to very diverse cultures and areas.
I am sure that Roanoke is not over populated by hispanics, but I am sure their must be some....??
Can anyone please give me some information on the good, bad, pretty, and ugly of Roanoke?
I do not care if their are many people of different nationalities and/or races. I just need to be in a safe area.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 19,348 times
I think it is very amazing that 53 people have read this post, and not one has anything to say!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,893 times
Have you read anything in the archives? There are really only a handful of people who post here at all, and this question has come up 100 times at least. There are lots of good discussions about neighborhoods, crime, rent, diversity, race issues, etc.

I've lived in Roanoke a little over a year and I just love it. I'm from DC, which has a very diverse Hispanic population, but had been living in a very vanilla upstate NY town for five years when we moved to Roanoke. It's not as diverse as DC, and it's a conservative-ish Southern town in some ways, but it's got a decent immigrant/ethnic population and a very active multicultural nonprofit that puts on all kinds of ethnic festivals & celebrations.

I hope you find the archives helpful. I sure did when I was looking to move here.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,882 times
Hi Jersey69boy, overall Roanoke is safe so no need to worry about those concerns here. All realtors will tell you to move to SW Roanoke County, that is the lilly white, republican part of town. It is also the most boring. Personally I like some diversity, although not of what you describe. Look at Roanoke City, you may like the Raleigh Court area(Grandin Village)it has a nice shopping/entertainment/school district all to itself with much diversity.
Good Luck and if I can help with other suggestions, please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area