Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:00 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone feels isolated in Roanoke--like they're in the middle of nowhere? I'm not familiar with that part of Virginia at all and, honestly, I'd never considered it until I started reading posts here and now I am really intrigued.

I've also heard that there aren't any jobs, it's hard to find a job, etc. Is that true as well? I've got 3 sons and am looking to move to a place where they'll be able to find jobs & housing when they're out of school in a few years. Any/all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone feels isolated in Roanoke--like they're in the middle of nowhere? I'm not familiar with that part of Virginia at all and, honestly, I'd never considered it until I started reading posts here and now I am really intrigued.

I've also heard that there aren't any jobs, it's hard to find a job, etc. Is that true as well? I've got 3 sons and am looking to move to a place where they'll be able to find jobs & housing when they're out of school in a few years. Any/all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
A two-part question will get a two-part response.

I definitely do not feel isolated here. I live just outside the city, in a very rural part of the area, and still, I feel like I am involved in a lot of things. However, I do work in a job that keeps me very plugged in to the region, nation and world, so that definitely keeps my outlook broad. But my wife and I have lived in this area for only about six weeks. The first couple of those we spent preparing for and getting married But since then, we've been to see dancing Lippazaner horses, to schmooze at an art-show opening, to see Allison Krauss in concert, to hike and off-road in Jefferson National Forest, to see a bullriding event, and to attend "Macbeth" the opera. On top of that, we've been to at least three festivals, and more are planned. You won't feel isolated if you just get out to be around other people. Folks talk about all kinds of things, and a lot of it will be the familiar water-cooler/political/entertainment talk that you'd find in a bigger city.

As for your second question, I can't speak from first-hand experience, but several people have told me (both local residents and others on these boards) that the Roanoke Valley isn't doing so hot on jobs. My wife and I had great jobs lined up for us when we arrived, but lots of this area is very blue-collar. Some people like that, some don't. If you're OK getting a little dirty at work, you'll love it here. Office jobs are little trickier to land, though some nearby areas toward Va. Tech have some white-collar stuff if you so choose.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 AM

9 posts, read 27,542 times
ok, so i consider myslef more of a "city boy" (hence my recent move to south florida) but i used to live in blackburg and i must say that the middle of nowhere is relative. if you are used to the country, then roanoke will seem like quite the metropolis, but if you are a city boy like me (origionally from the boston area, now...like i said, south florida) then you will be like "ok...somebody said there was a city here...where did they put it?" as far as jobs go, i dont know about roanoke, but i will say that there are a good deal of opportunities in the blacksburg area. all in all, the area is very beautiful if you are the country-mountain type, and you will meet some of the most welcoming and friendly people in the world in southwest virginia. Good luck! :-)

Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
PaperTrail summed it up nicely. I live in rural Boones Mill - a 25 minute drive to Roanoke - and I don't feel isolated either Roanoke is a pretty eclectic metro area so even oddballs like myself find social circles and fit in quite nicely.

The metro area population is 300,000 - not large but certainly above average as metro areas go - and while your three children are not guaranteed to land work, it is quite likely that they will be able to find jobs in the Valley if their area of expertise is in demand in the Roanoke area. It's just a bit more competitive here because people drive 10 hours to apply for jobs in Roanoke.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Thank you for your honest/thoughtful responses. I appreciate them. So it looks like isolation wouldn't be an issue for us, but jobs might be. Wow, people drive 10 hours for jobs? Yeah, that's pretty competitive. Do you have any idea why there aren't any more businesses? Is it hard to get in and out of there? Maybe b/c it doesn't seem to be near a major airport? Anyway, thanks. Definitely given me some stuff to think about. And even if I don't live there I've still gotta visit and see some of these views for myself

Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Businesses in Roanoke in general are growing, but not explosively. There is no shortage of jobs, it's just that more people than average are competing for those jobs because families are becoming more aware of what Roanoke has to offer. So, when a new position is advertised, some local folks apply and ALOT of folks from other parts of the country apply as well. So, the local applicant is less likely to be hired. This is good for businesses, mind you. You get better quality employees. And it's good for Roanoke also. But it's not so good for the folks who aren't as competitive as they should be. This is not so much a factor in entry to mid-level positions. I'm speaking more of specialized positions in white collar segments of the work force. Due to the population growth it's fairly easy to locate an entry to mid-level position.

The Roanoke regional airport does the job. In my opinion, it's way more convenient than a major airport. It's easy to find parking, the long term parking is quite affordable, and there are no long lines to wait in to check in and check bags. On the other hand, a regional airport is more expensive to fly through because there are fewer direct flights.

Sean

Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 27,542 times
about the airport thing...flights in and out of ROA are EXPENSIVE!!!! but charlotte is a mere 2 1/2 hrs away.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 157,524 times
Default Roanoke

The first time I drove to Roanoke I remember thinking there is nothing out here and all of a sudden pops up a few buildings. I think to myself where did this come from? After a month of living there I felt like I was trapped in a bowl and I had to get out. I-81 is the most boring drive I have ever driven. But if you love mountains you may feel at home.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Ringgold has made all of 20 posts, nearly all of them anti-Virginia and the purported facts used to establish a basis for his/her opinion are grossly inaccurate (example: taxes). Here are the "few buildings" that ringgold describes:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/overlook2.jpg (broken link)

Is this a major metro skyline? Absolutely not. It is not Northern Virginia, nor is it [insert any large transient metro with over 1 million people]. It is Roanoke, a beautiful metro area consisting of 300,000 people. That's why many people are drawn to it. It is Virginia's fourth largest metro area, with it's own unique culture, natural beauty and economy. If you want Northern Virginia, then Roanoke is not for you. If you want Charlotte, NC, then Roanoke is not for you. If you want Chattanooga, TN, then Roanoke isn't for you. But that's the great thing about our country. We can find each our own great place to live.

Sean

Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 29,693 times
These posts are fascinating. Thank you so much to all! Some of you mentioned blue collar and "getting dirty" work. I have a job lined up when we decide to move. However, my husband is a plumber and we were wondering if anyone knew of reputable plumbing companies in the area? Since there is a lot of new construction, my initial thought is that he should be able to find a company to work for pretty easily. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area