Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 PM

240 posts, read 557,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
You do realize that not every employee will do that, and that circumstance falls squarely on the character of the employee. And no, Wegmans does not strictly hire people that will stop what they're doing to take you to an aisle for a product, let alone make sure you got the right ones. I could go in to a Tops in the city and have a 50/50 chance of that happening, and I could go to the Pittsford Wegmans and have the same odds.

Some of you people really have your heads stuck so far up your ass it's amazing you can even drive yourself to a Wegmans. Little pro-tip: Wegmans as a company is NO WHERE near as good as people make it out to be.
False. I worked at Wegmans. They do hire people who they believe will drop what they're doing and help costumers. We go through literally hours of training to ensure that we do that. Also, if we don't do that and a manager sees, or someone complains, we (employees) get reprimanded. You're 100% wrong. If you had a bad experience at a store, you should have told someone. I almost guarantee that you would have gotten something for free, and I can 100% promise that employee would be talked to.

Also, Wegmans is a great company. You get a raise every 6 months NO MATTER WHAT, part time employees can get health insurance, they are understanding, and when I worked there (which was less than a year ago), my department had a christmas party where I got over $50 worth of Wegmans products. We also had an employee Gala where all employees and their dates/+1's were treated like royalty, AND Wegmans makes an attempt to help our community by providing quick, BUT STILL NUTRITIOUS meals for a reasonable price.

Consistent low pricing is no joke.

I think the thing is, now many grocery stores emulate Wegmans, and that is why it isn't such a big deal to people outside of Western NY, but they were one of the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, you're not alone. Other realists like myself are simply dumbfounded by the extremely overrated reputation that Wegmans has received over the years. They're just another evil large corporation who pretends to put their customers first through clever marketing and fooling their blind customers on to thinking they're the second coming of Jesus.
You seriously do not know anything. Wegmans is not a corporation, it is a privately owned company OWNED BY THE WEGMANS FAMILY. Are the Wegmans filthy rich now? Yep. But are they evil? No way. They got what they deserved. And Danny Wegmans comes into stores frequently and talks to employees. Regular part time employees. Because he cares. And the costumers do come first.

Here in Philly, we have "Super Fresh" and "Whole Foods" both which lack Wegmans costumer service. Once at Wegmans, a $30 can of lump crab meat was mis-marked as $23 SO THEY GAVE IT TO ME FOR $23.

The literal exact same thing happened to me at Whole Foods and they were a. Pissed that they had to go check the price, and b. did not offer any apology for their mistake.

At super fresh, I had a similar situation with cat liter. They were REALLY pissed that I a. Questioned them, b. they had to go check the price and c. that I held up their line. And again no apology for THEIR mistake.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Just a small addition. Like I previously stated, the "Wegmans" level of service might not be such a rarity among chains anymore, but Wegmans also offers an extremely diverse selection of produce and grocery goods. Sometimes I can't even find spicy peppers except jalepenos at Whole Foods. Wegmans also had really high standards for their meat and seafood, and an amazing selection of both. Compared to Tops, or Aldis, or super wal mart, Wegmans stocks all the weird things you need to make anything you can imagine. So maybe the foodie element plays into it a little bit.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Don't worry, you're not alone. Other realists like myself are simply dumbfounded by the extremely overrated reputation that Wegmans has received over the years. They're just another evil large corporation who pretends to put their customers first through clever marketing and fooling their blind customers on to thinking they're the second coming of Jesus.
Hahahahahaha......This post gets my vote for best "Just trying to get a rise outa the people of Rochester 2011"

Oh and I love Wegmans and have 20/20 vision.....best grocery store in the world

Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Until I moved to SC, I had no - I mean absolutely no clue - on how fabulous grocery stores in NY are. I didn't live in Wegmen's country, but I had a super Hannaford. Now I have Kroger which blows, ghetto Food Lion which looks like it has never been cleaned, and ghetto Bi-Lo which was last cleaned in 1950. Seriously, how hard is it to remove the plastic meat trays that have black, thick, dried blood on them. Talk about absolutely DISGUSTING and unsanitary!

I recently went back to Albany for a visit and one of the places I had to stop was my super Hannaford. I texted my husband that I could kiss the ground of the store! I spent over an hour in there. I miss so many of the things they sell - local produce, honey, peanut butter, bread, baked goods, etc. These things do NOT exist at the grocery stores where I live in SC. It's tragic!

Yes, I am one of those people who almost peed their pants the first time they went to Whole Foods, Dean & Deluca (in Charlotte), and The Fresh Market. Why? I went to all of them after I lost my super Hannaford and now have ghettoville grocery stores with rude employees and places that haven't heard of a mop or soap. I now drive an hour to go grocery shopping at The Fresh Market in another state! No, it's not the same as my super Hannaford, but it's the closest thing to it for hundreds of miles around.

My love affair with Hannaford is much like Wegmen's lovers. I never understood it until I moved away. I'll be in Skaneateles this summer and I'm going to Auburn to check out Wegmen's.

Oh how I miss self checkout! I buy the basics like toilet paper at WalMart because it's much cheaper than The Fresh Market. Why spend a million bucks on something you wipe your rear end with? In NY, we had self checkout at Wallies. Not down here! OMG! The cashiers are some of the rudest people I have ever met in my entire life. I bring my own bags AND I pack ALL of my own groceries. The attitude I get is astonishing! I'm giving you much less work to do for a few minutes and you give me crap? You say snotty things to me? I REALLY wan to deck you with that pack of 24 toilet paper!

Now Publix is clean and has the best produce of all of our grocery stores. Not as nice as Hannaford or as large, but they DO have customer service. So I do understand what people mean with that. Like I said, I bring my own bags and bag my own groceries. At Publix, they ALWAYS put up a big fuss and ask me repeatedly if I'm sure about packing my own groceries. Someone actually got reprimanded for me bagging my own items last time. I had to explain that I wanted to pack myself and turned them away. I felt bad for getting the guy in trouble! He even asked if I needed help bringing my groceries to my car or loading them. Now that's customer service!

This is what I imagine Wegmen's to be like...a mix of my super Hannaford along with the customer service I have witnessed at Publix, but better!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
ss20ts, if you time during you vacation in Skaneateles, check out the Wegmans in the Fayetteville. It is supposedly the or one of the biggest supermarkets in the country and is in a pretty affluent area as well. Fairmount has a pretty nice Wegmans and is closer to Skaneateles.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Wegmans was just awarded the "best supermarket" in America, I believe by Consumer's Report.

I know all Wegman's are good, you may want to check out the Pittsford Wegmans to get the full blown Wegman's experience. They also operate a resturant across the street and a liquor store in adjacent Pittsford Plaza.

A Trader Joes is also openning in Pittsford Plaza soon.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
ss20ts, if you time during you vacation in Skaneateles, check out the Wegmans in the Fayetteville. It is supposedly the or one of the biggest supermarkets in the country and is in a pretty affluent area as well. Fairmount has a pretty nice Wegmans and is closer to Skaneateles.
Ooh thanks for the tip! I'll have to do that. Love me a huge grocery store! I miss them so much!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Hannaford and Food Lion are the same chain. Also Sweet Bay and others. If you give them time they will clean them up. Location can be a problem, ghetto stores are, well, ghetto. Walmart in New Hartford NY is nice while Walmart in Rome is disgusting.

Wegmans is the best ghetto avoiding chain of all. With few exceptions Wegmans are in the richest suburbs so always a clean safe bet.

Delhaize Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Hannaford and Food Lion are the same chain. Also Sweet Bay and others. If you give them time they will clean them up. Location can be a problem, ghetto stores are, well, ghetto. Walmart in New Hartford NY is nice while Walmart in Rome is disgusting.

Wegmans is the best ghetto avoiding chain of all. With few exceptions Wegmans are in the richest suburbs so always a clean safe bet.

Delhaize Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hannaford and Food Lion are owned by the same company. They are NOT the same chain. VERY far, far, far from it! The stores here in the South would NEVER survive in the North. They're dirty, out of date, limited on products, etc.

Give them time to clean them up? The 2 Food Lion's here have NEVER been remodeled even though they're well over 30 years old. That's the Food Lion way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area