Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times

Advertisements

In that price range in Rochester, you will have your pick of beautiful,new homes with lots of upgrades!
Depending on where you are coming from, the taxes may seem high, but in reality, they aren't that much different than many other places.... people in Rochester seem to always want to "complain" about their tax struggles, however, they need to look at what they are getting in a house for that amount of money.
Even in today's Real Estate environment, in many places, that price range will get you a townhouse with no upgrades and terrible schools.

Don't want to sound as though I am against Rochester, it is my hometown and I will always love it, it just seems that whenever housing prices come up, someone always has to complain about their taxes and here in SE PA and in the mid-atlantic area, our taxes aren't that much lower and our homes cost 3x as much as new construction in Rochester..... suburbs included.
It's a beautiful area, and am partial to Webster,Penfield,Pittsford because it is where I grew up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
not to be redundant, but as others have said your price range will get you MUCH more house even in the most expensive suburbs of Rochester (the aforementioned P' towns) than you will find in most areas of the country. Yes your property taxes will surely be high but the overall COL in Rochester is very reasonable. It would also help to know where you are working and what kind of commute you would like, if you'd like to waterfront (lake, bay, or canal), etc. Best website to check out with probably be Nothnagle.com. All of their listings have multiple pictures and they list the property taxes.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

254 posts, read 522,082 times
I will be working in all of Upstate NY, I am a Regional Manager, I will be covering Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, and Syracuse. Golf or Water front communities would be great, I would love either.

My taxes now are like $8k, but I have lived on Long Island so I know what you are all talking about.

Thanks for the replies so far

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM

93,308 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I will be working in all of Upstate NY, I am a Regional Manager, I will be covering Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, and Syracuse. Golf or Water front communities would be great, I would love either.

My taxes now are like $8k, but I have lived on Long Island so I know what you are all talking about.

Thanks for the replies so far
Not to hijack this, but if you want Syracuse, look at the Eastern suburbs(Fayetteville-Manlius, DeWitt, Pompey, Cazenovia, etc..), Onondaga Hill and Skaneateles. For the Albany area, look at Niskayuna, Loudonville, Guilderland, Clifton Park and Latham, among a few others. In the Buffalo area, Williamsville, Lewiston/Youngstown, Amherst, Orchard Park, Clarence and Lancaster.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM

25 posts, read 100,093 times
I would highly recommend Webster. Nice, friendly community, lots of nice, new homes, and the Webster school district is very good and seems to fall under the radar - my kids' school just won a prestigious national award, the Blue Ribbon School award. If circumstances were different for me I would definitely stay here. Overall, just a very pleasant family town to live in... also, it is the closest on the east side to the lake - if you wanted a beautiful, waterfront home you could get that with your budget. good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
I live on Long Island and usually I just read the posts from Long Island and Westchester. My only real knowledge of upstate was visits to family members in Niagra Falls during the 70's when I was a kid. My aunt's family lived near the Love's canal. Going to Suny at Binghamton during the mid 80's, where all of the Rochester students raved about Wegmans. I never understood why teens would have such a love affair with a supermarket. I've never been in one so it's still a mystery to me. I looked in the Rochester forum out of curiosity and was surprised to see posters telling the OP he can have the pick of the litter of homes at 450,000. On Long Island that is a typical home 3 beds, 1 or 2 baths in a working or middle class area but nothing special. In Westchester, a small starter home in a less desirable area or your best bet a condo. What is the median price of homes in Rochester? I know that Binghamton is a depressed city but I always assumed that Rochester was a vibrant and wealthy city, the jewel of upstate NY. Prices on par with Toronto or Pittsburgh. Can someone give me a written visual of the city and why Wegmans is so amazing?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
I don't know the APR however, I visit quite regularly as my family still lives in Webster,Pittsford....
My sister has a brand new beautiful home, about 3200 sq feet and all the beautiful upgrades to go with it.... I don't know exactly what they paid, but it was in the low 3's......
In many areas you can find a 4 bedroom home fairly new ,for less than $200K! (Ontario County mainly)....
Just go on realtor.com and type in what you would be looking for on the average and see your pick of homes.... it is shocking when you come from an area such as LI or where we are in the mid-atlantic.
Our home is a 4 bedroom colonial and is 10 years old, needs updating and we paid in the low 4's! there is a HUGE difference in our home and our families homes in the Rochester area... and again, our taxes are not that much lower.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
What is the median price of homes in Rochester?
On average the cost of a home will be $100/sqft..... if that helps.... some towns you can expect a tad more/sqft...

Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM

93,308 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I live on Long Island and usually I just read the posts from Long Island and Westchester. My only real knowledge of upstate was visits to family members in Niagra Falls during the 70's when I was a kid. My aunt's family lived near the Love's canal. Going to Suny at Binghamton during the mid 80's, where all of the Rochester students raved about Wegmans. I never understood why teens would have such a love affair with a supermarket. I've never been in one so it's still a mystery to me. I looked in the Rochester forum out of curiosity and was surprised to see posters telling the OP he can have the pick of the litter of homes at 450,000. On Long Island that is a typical home 3 beds, 1 or 2 baths in a working or middle class area but nothing special. In Westchester, a small starter home in a less desirable area or your best bet a condo. What is the median price of homes in Rochester? I know that Binghamton is a depressed city but I always assumed that Rochester was a vibrant and wealthy city, the jewel of upstate NY. Prices on par with Toronto or Pittsburgh. Can someone give me a written visual of the city and why Wegmans is so amazing?
Even that area has some nice areas, even within the city. Take a look at the West Side and Vestal, Endwell, parts of Johnson City north of Route 17, parts of Endicott and Port Dickinson have some nice homes as well.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
I agree, in Vestal next to the university there are some really nice homes and they get better as you go further into the hills. I was however under the perception that Rochester was the most desirable city in upstate NY with a vibrant and beautiful downtown and the home prices were on par with Long Island. I can't say the same for Binghamton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area