Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,559,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Beautifully put: They come looking for validation in THEIR decision only to be left wondering why everyone doesn't agree with them. If you left NY and you're happy then good for you but don't come in raining on our opinions of the same state! It all begins sounding like sour grapes after a while.....
The part that gets me is that, at least here in NC, they love to "gang up" on the hometown and b**ching about how bad things are there and how much their lives have improved since they moved here. I've been in restaraunts and overheard large groups of freshly transplanted people that seriously spend at least half their time on their little "get together' talking about how Buffalo is headed nowhere, or Pittsburgh's been in the hole for 50 years or Long Island is now unliveable and blah blah blah.....some people just like to complain. There is a degree of regret in some people that the respond to by hometown bashing....but I think a lot of it is just arrogance that they "got out" and everyone else up there is "stuck" or "unreasonable" for not leaving yet. I WISH I were making this stuff up, but I couldn't. The funniest part is, NC is with almost 100% certainty going to be overcrowded (it already is IMO) overpriced, over-taxed and "less liveable"....just like the areas that everyone is flocking here from now....in another decade or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM

103 posts, read 653,315 times
In my opinion, the weather is a fantastic reason to move here. Some people don't care for heat and humidity that are so awful you cannot go outside after 9am from May - October. If you like that, you are of course entitled to your opinion and Buffalo summer weather is not for you. As far as winter, I have stated before and state it again - it really is not that bad and if you like winter it really is that good. There are many winter activities people enjoy. Those activities require cold and snow. It seldom gets "that cold" here. If you would like "that cold" you'll need to move to Maine or the mid-west, and Buffalo winters are not for you. Many people love fours seasons, others do not care for four seasons. If you do not, you are of course entitled to your opinion and I would ask you allow me the same courtesy.

As far as the job situation, there is a prevailing mentality to bash all things western NY as poor, economically depressed, not attracting large companies, etc. The News recently ran an article about a dirty-little-secret in the Buffalo area - wealthy people. *gasp* You mean everyone isn't on welfare!? You mean there are actual careers in the Buffalo area!? How is it possible for the Buffalo-Niagara region with its population of a million people to actually have jobs!? NO WAY!!! There cannot possibly be any small successful business, entrepreneurs cannot exist in Buffalo and skilled labor cannot possibly have a place there either.

The doom and gloom people are of course entitled to their opinions. Basing an exodus on a flawed 2000 census is probably not the wisest course, but whatever floats your boat. I better tell the people on my street, most of which were not born in this area that they cannot make a living in WNY. It will probably come as a shock to them as they appear to have done very well both professionally and economically in this area.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,068,186 times
xamsx brings up a couple of other amusing things that Buffalo supporters like to do. My favorite: it never really gets "that" cold here. The truth: the great lakes prevent the temperature from going much below zero. Instead of a clear day with a high of 5 and a low of -15, the coldest days of the year here have a high of like 11 and a low of 0, with snow squalls. I mean, who cares... are they so desperate to defend the winters they resort to this?

I am fully aware that there are rich people in Buffalo, and that there are thriving businesses in Buffalo. All I'm saying is that it's harder here. Harder for young college grads to get good jobs, and harder for companies to succeed because of the relative lack of wealth here and high tax rates. I honestly don't have anything against the place. I lived in DC once. I have seen the cars backed up from Fairfax County to downtown DC. Here I can get from anywhere to anywhere in 20 minutes. When I was in DC, I was forced out of my apartment because my landlord turned my building into 300,000 dollar 1 bedroom condos. Here I could get a huge house in the best part of town for that. All I'm saying is, these are the things that will convince people to come here... the rest is just not believable. Even people who like skiing and snowboarding don't want to have to shovel the stuff from their driveway every day.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,108,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
In my opinion, the weather is a fantastic reason to move here. Some people don't care for heat and humidity that are so awful you cannot go outside after 9am from May - October. If you like that, you are of course entitled to your opinion and Buffalo summer weather is not for you. As far as winter, I have stated before and state it again - it really is not that bad and if you like winter it really is that good. There are many winter activities people enjoy. Those activities require cold and snow. It seldom gets "that cold" here. If you would like "that cold" you'll need to move to Maine or the mid-west, and Buffalo winters are not for you. Many people love fours seasons, others do not care for four seasons. If you do not, you are of course entitled to your opinion and I would ask you allow me the same courtesy.

As far as the job situation, there is a prevailing mentality to bash all things western NY as poor, economically depressed, not attracting large companies, etc. The News recently ran an article about a dirty-little-secret in the Buffalo area - wealthy people. *gasp* You mean everyone isn't on welfare!? You mean there are actual careers in the Buffalo area!? How is it possible for the Buffalo-Niagara region with its population of a million people to actually have jobs!? NO WAY!!! There cannot possibly be any small successful business, entrepreneurs cannot exist in Buffalo and skilled labor cannot possibly have a place there either.

The doom and gloom people are of course entitled to their opinions. Basing an exodus on a flawed 2000 census is probably not the wisest course, but whatever floats your boat. I better tell the people on my street, most of which were not born in this area that they cannot make a living in WNY. It will probably come as a shock to them as they appear to have done very well both professionally and economically in this area.
Tell you what, if you can HONESTLY look yourself in the mirror and tell me buffalo weather isnt that cold then there is no sense in carrying this on. I went to a Bill game in October (OCTOBER) and ended up with frostbite practically. Its called protecting ones hometown and it's the prevailing practice here at the city forum. For what its worth, you are right about one thing, you are entitled to your opinion. Shrug, I wasn't bashing buffalo, just YOUR comment about the jobs and weather being a reason to live there....never mind.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-25-2007 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: fix the quote box

Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,894,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I have been wanting to move up to either one of those cities for quite some time. We currently live outside St. Louis. My wife on the other hand thinks it is to cold. I have been trying to reason with her that yes the Winters maybe cold but the Summers are outstanding. Here in St. Louis it gets so hot and humid that basically your summer is ruined because when you step outside you immediately want to go back in. It also gets pretty cold here though for not as long as up North.

Can people post about some great family things to do in either of those 2 areas? Whatever you feel are some positives about the areas, also please don't shy away from the negatives either. Thanks for the help with the convincing.
Well, my husband and I are moving out to Rochester in Feburary or March. Here is what sealed the deal for us in no real order:

1) The number of city and state parks.
2) Lake Ontario, Erie Canal
3) The opportunity for real sailing and boating.
4) Lots of good hiking or really good hiking within reasonable driving distance.
5) Within reasonable driving or sailing distance to Toronto which we love.
6) Quite a few universities and schools for school age children seemed to not be too bad.
7) Cost of living is very comparable to Indianapolis.
8) Lots of festivals, things to do or volunteer for.
9) Four seasons and the weather. All of it.
10) Last unemployment rate was listed at 4.1%, again compareable with Indianapolis. We have checked and there are jobs in our fields or areas of interest available.
11) Seems more bikable than Indy, but then, maybe anywhere is more bikable than Indy.

For us, extended family is not really that all important. We have none in Rochester, but we have moved far, far away from them before and didn't miss them as much as we probably should have. If your wife really has strong roots in the St. Louis area and doesn't want to leave because of them, I think that would be the real problem in the end.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,527,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ok..I must explain. I said my comment TO THIS QUOTE. To give the weather as a reason to move to buffalo IS COMICAL. Yea, the summers are great I do agree. However, from October to April, Buffalo has horrible weather and if you want to argue that then well, forget it. As for the many jobs, well I actually think that borders on ludicrous.

I moved to North Carolina and its good here. Not great mind you, but good. The weather is great from October to May and sucks in summertime. Jobs here are hard to come by like everywhere else, but the lifestyle is more tempered which helps. . My comment ONLY referred to that person trying to sell Buffalo as this great place. I have family up there..alot of it and I've seen what Buffalo offers. Its not a great place but not a terrible place either. I will say this ..if you have stable job and enjoy the cold, Buffalo is not a bad place to live at all and I honestly mean that.
so 6 months in Buffalo are bad, and 5-6 months in North Carolina are bad?

sounds pretty equal to me Notice those lengths of time are coming directly from your quote.

NC has nicer winter but horrible summer

BUF has nicer summer but horrible winter

Sounds like a personal preference to me and no reason to rip on any one place.

I guess I am at a loss about why people are going on and on about how cold it is and they don't want to be outside and the 2 posts later someone comments about the south and how hot the Summer is and they don't want to go outside. Don't they kind of equal out? I live in St. Louis. The summers here SUCK. It is so hot, humid, sticky, etc... that it is tough to make yourself go outside (not to mention we still get about 3 to 4 months of cold weather.

I like doing stuff outside but in the summer here, you go out for an hour and you are just ready to come back in.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,074,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
so 6 months in Buffalo are bad, and 5-6 months in North Carolina are bad? sounds pretty equal to me Notice those lengths of time are coming directly from your quote. NC has nicer winter but horrible summer
BUF has nicer summer but horrible winter
Sounds like a personal preference to me and no reason to rip on any one place.
I guess I am at a loss about why people are going on and on about how cold it is and they don't want to be outside and the 2 posts later someone comments about the south and how hot the Summer is and they don't want to go outside. Don't they kind of equal out? I live in St. Louis. The summers here SUCK. It is so hot, humid, sticky, etc... that it is tough to make yourself go outside (not to mention we still get about 3 to 4 months of cold weather.

I like doing stuff outside but in the summer here, you go out for an hour and you are just ready to come back in.
The weather does get rather long in the tooth in upstate NY and we have actually considered Roanoke VA (years before the entire south became "the place") for a retirement home ---Smith Mt Lake area --- but now it's been discovered and the real estate prices have skyrocketed ---so probably downsize and head south when it's at it worse here. But as for the worse (cold vs humid) weather, let's be honest, they both are bad. And so far this sp/summer NY has been experiencing weather similar to Raleigh (have a brother there and we compare notes). Today, 6/26 7AM, 79 degrees and heading for the 90s with stagnant air warnings...there goes my plans to paint, garden, take the dog for a nice morning walk....hmmmmm....I'm stuck in the house with the AC on (which I hate) WATCHING the weather instead of FEELING it. Except there's one thing about a cold day in January that differs from a oppressive summer day in NC: the sun is glistening off freshly fallen snow, you can bundle up, slip on the cross country skis and head to a park....sunlight snow is nothing short of breathtaking....

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 06-26-2007 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post

Bravo, bravo....may I also add that Buffalo has some of the coolest art deco buildings in the country ( I believe they won some kudos for that a few years ago)...

Old 06-26-2007, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE I moved to North Carolina and its good here. Not great mind you, but good. The weather is great from October to May and sucks in summertime. Jobs here are hard to come by like everywhere else, but the lifestyle is more tempered which helps.[/quote]

Ok, you have slightly redeemed yourself LOL....I have a brother who jumped on the "NC train" last summer and has slowly began to take off the blinders and realize ..yes, the winter was great but the pay is awful, the housing prices are skyrocketing, (he's resigned to being an apt dweller for life if he stays), the groceries are as high as NY prices, gas is as high if not higher, anti-Yankee opinions rein (at work (construction) he's been told not to talk at certain stores as they don't take kindly to Yankees )......he'll probably stay as my sil would never accept "egg on the face" and move back to NY but I have my suspicions that moving there 10 years ago was a lot easier than now with the influx of so many.....it's bound to make the natives turn and snap at you .....

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 AM

639 posts, read 1,068,186 times
I don't know why everyone is assuming the alternative to living in W NY is living in the South somewhere.. I mean the country is really big, you can pick some other part of the country which doesn't have sweltering summers or miserable winters. Say anywhere in the west for example. Or the DC area. The summers there can be hot, but you can still go out and do stuff. If I had a normal career where I could actually have some say where I'd live, I'd go to Portland Oregon.. it's beautiful there, weather is decent enough most of the year, cool city, I could go on. I'd actually stay here rather than move to North Carolina for a lot of reasons. Jesse Helms territory, yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area