Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

As for the people desire to live in the city in the South comment, that is because a lot of city neighborhoods in the South are similar to first ring suburban neighborhoods in the Northeast due to having more sprawl/square mileage in terms of size. Rochester is 35.6 sq. miles. When you compare that to say Greenville SC which is 26.1 sq, miles, but has about the same population as Utica or Schenectady, shows a difference in density. So, many city neighborhoods there are really psuedo-suburban neighborhoods that were annexed in the recent past. You have cities in the South and west with the same population as Rochester that might be twice the size in sq. mileage. So, it's comparing apples to oranges in that regard.

As for the dominance of the economy being education/government and healthcare, look at what dominates these economies that are doing relatively great right now:
//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Economy.html

//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...s-Economy.html

//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...h-Economy.html

//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...a-Economy.html

I realize that these numbers have most likely changed a bit, but it gives an idea of what type of economy that areas that are doing well have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM

169 posts, read 476,375 times
As to the list of cons: I would add "race relations." These tend to be bad in many places but the levels of fear and hostility (in both directions) in Rochester appears freakishly high sometimes. This has to be the number 1 cause of the inner city's decay, but it seems no one in authority wants to deal with this issue in a constructive way.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
When the levels of crime and the attitudes of a certain group of people change in public places like the beach and the mall, then relations will change in a more positive direction. I don't see that happening anytime soon though, so until then, relations will be strained. I personally don't see relations as a con as much as I do the attitudes of people who feel they're entitled and what not.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggz3 View Post
As to the list of cons: I would add "race relations." These tend to be bad in many places but the levels of fear and hostility (in both directions) in Rochester appears freakishly high sometimes. This has to be the number 1 cause of the inner city's decay, but it seems no one in authority wants to deal with this issue in a constructive way.

if u go take a trip to virtually any city down south, i can almost guarentee that you'll have an entirely new perception of 'race-relations' in rochester.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
if u go take a trip to virtually any city down south, i can almost guarentee that you'll have an entirely new perception of 'race-relations' in rochester.
It's more integrated, down here, in fact census stats bear this out.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 AM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
It's more integrated, down here, in fact census stats bear this out.

LOL uhhhh…maybe we define ‘integrated’ differently. All those census stats can really tell you is that there is a higher percentage of multi-racial neighborhoods in the south. What the hell does this have to do with racial tension/relations?! The fact that there may be more racial diversity in southern neighborhoods (or living quarters, whatever you want to call it), says NOTHING about the realities and attitudes of those living there! Here, how about an example: during slavery whites and blacks LIVED together! Does that mean it was more integrated back then? No, I didn’t think so.

So, now that we’ve established that the census stats fail to ‘bear out’ anything relevant to this topic, good luck arguing that race-relations are better in the south than the north—your going to need it!

Race-relations are by no means perfect in Rochester--there's definitely room for improvement. But compared to many cities, there's very little racism/racial tension in Rochester.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 08-26-2010 at 04:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Race relations are no different here than any other northeastern city. There is racism everywhere. The only place I've seen where racism is worse is in rural areas. I have not been to a decent sized metro area where race relations were horrible(compared to other areas).

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
LOL uhhhh…maybe we define ‘integrated’ differently. All those census stats can really tell you is that there is a higher percentage of multi-racial neighborhoods in the south. What the hell does this have to do with racial tension/relations?! The fact that there may be more racial diversity in southern neighborhoods (or living quarters, whatever you want to call it), says NOTHING about the realities and attitudes of those living there! Here, how about an example: during slavery whites and blacks LIVED together! Does that mean it was more integrated back then? No, I didn’t think so.

So, now that we’ve established that the census stats fail to ‘bear out’ anything relevant to this topic, good luck arguing that race-relations are better in the south than the north—your going to need it!

Race-relations are by no means perfect in Rochester--there's definitely room for improvement. But compared to many cities, there's very little racism/racial tension in Rochester.
You bring up some very good dynamics as to how it works "Down South". My dad, who is from Mississippi, told me about how he used to hang out sometimes with a politician son's back in the 50's and 60's. This was in the Mississippi Delta too. Blacks and Whites have been living in the same neighborhoods in the South for longer than many people know. There is a saying that has been mention on other forums here that goes" In the South, you can get too close, but not too high. In the North, you can get up high, but not too close". That seems to be the case when you take everything into account.

With all this said, I don't know if Rochester is any different than most places, to be honest. If anything, the fact that out of the Upstate NY metros, it seems like Blacks live throughout the Rochester metro in a way you don't see in the other metros and have been for a while. I think some of that has to do with the Urban-Suburban program, Kodak hiring more people of color in the early 70's, it is the major city in NY with the highest percentage of Blacks and even places like LeRoy, Sodus, Lyons and Caledonia, amongst some others in the metro, have a long history in terms of the Underground RR and having a Black community.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 AM

99 posts, read 228,131 times
Back in 2004, I tried to do a business deal in downtown Rochester with a mixed race group of prospective partners/investors, including some incredibly entrepreneurial albeit hard-core inner-city guys (i.e. Conkey Avenue). The deal made sense in terms of economics but never got done due to almost entirely to mistrust, paranoia and general inability to communicate across racial lines. It was a pretty eye-opening experience about racial dynamics in Rochester. It seemed neither "side" had any ability to take off its blinders and look past race which was unfortunate since, as in any business deal, the only color that should matter is green . . . .

Just my two cents

Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:

You must be joking.

I've heard nonsense out of the mouths of garden variety union people in NY that would make a Klansman blush (wherever klansman hang out; I haven't seen nor met any and we've been here 3 years). I don't recall blacks venturing too far into Rochester's 'burbs, with Greece, Henrietta, Irondequoit, and Gates being exceptions. Workplaces here are integrated (I remember potential employers in Rochester going out of their way to tell me on interviews they were "off the bus line").

It's integrated, here. Urban, suburban, etc. People of all types of backgrounds have done well, here, going back 20+ years (particularly in the last 15), in fact we keep meeting Rochester folks of varied backgrounds who are considering a move to Greenville, when we venture downtown (we hang out downtown at least once a week).

Hmmm, "says NOTHING about the realities and attitudes of those living there!"? So, you've lived here, I take it? My ZIP is 60% black, and I've yet to encounter any "tension" or "racism" amongst the blacks, whites, etc., who live here. People of all "types" have prospered, and they deal with whatever life throws at them like rational, responsible adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area