U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 20,612 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to the Rochester area for a 2-year opportunity with RIT. We'd like to scout out potential neighborhoods for house/condo/apt. renting. Brighton strikes us as a quite suburban, so we're hoping for a few areas within Rochester.

Our ideal neighborhood would have grocery shopping within walking distance and nice walks/parks for little kids. Even better, would be a neighborhood with food, shopping, AND A DOG PARK within walking distance, or reasonable drive.

Also, if there is an area that has good bus service (especially connecting to RIT/Route 18/19,) that would be a perk - we'd love to be a one-car household if that could be helped!

Thanks so much for your time and help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,100,425 times
The most walkable neighborhoods with amenities are Park ave area and the South Wedge but I don't know if I would call them family friendly. They are neighborhoods with lots of younger, childless people living in them. The south wedge or even swillburg or the highland area may be a little better.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM

69,408 posts, read 96,197,771 times
I thought that Brighton had some walkable neighborhoods close to the city of Rochester?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,996,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought that Brighton had some walkable neighborhoods close to the city of Rochester?
Definitely, off Elmwood, and close to Highland Park.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM

99 posts, read 212,091 times
Consider the Elwanger Barry neighborhood in the city of Rochester just north of Highland Park. The best streets are Rockingham, Crawford, Mulberry and Linden. Great family area with front porches and sidewalks.

Also, I would not discount Brighton entirely. The neighborhoods around the twelve corners area have sidewalks and are really nice for walking.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,739,501 times
Find a better city to work and live in.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM

33 posts, read 70,396 times
I would definitely recommend "Upper Monroe".
It's on the border of Brighton and the city and right next to Cobbs Hill Park.
Safe, quiet, walkable and beautiful.

Streets:
- Alliance Ave
- Avondale Park
- Crosman Terrace
- Roosevelt Street
- Pinnacle Rd
- Rosedale Street
- etc

Zip Code = 14620

Neighborhood website:

Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM

350 posts, read 1,015,887 times
The Brighton area is very family friendly with highly regarded schools, very safe, offers lots of amenities (restaurants, shops), has nice houses with lots of character on tree lined streets (many with sidewalkds), and is very close to other fun areas to walk around in (i.e., Park Ave area - OK for families, but more multifamily homes and younger people). It is also very convenient to the RIT area - just go down Winton Road and down Brighton-Henrietta Townline Road and you'll be right at RIT; or you can easily also take the expressway.

I would highly recommend the Brighton area for what you are looking for. I don't think you would be disappointed and would really like it!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,633,924 times
Well it looks like its been a few weeks since the OP has visited this thread to read all of the suggestions, but I'd definitely have to agree that she shouldn't right off Brighton. Brighton offers excellent nationally ranked schools, very safe, walkable, charming neighborhoods with many older houses with character, and is right next to RIT (at least the western portions of the town are). Much of Brighton is essentially an extension of the desirable areas of the City; but with better schools and more families vs not great schools and mostly college students/recent grads/wealthy empty nesters. If the OP is looking to rent it is true that Brighton is mostly owner-occupied homes but I'm sure there are at least a few rentals to be found. The Park Ave area of the city would have a lot of rentals, but most would be in multi-family units.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 AM

69,408 posts, read 96,197,771 times
Would Swillburg be a possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area