Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,130 times

Advertisements

It's not even a good money grab... the county is only getting something like 25% of the fines, the camera company gets the rest. The city didn't even want them... the city council voted them down but the county (Maggie Brooks) managed to push them through anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
We keep trading our freedom for security. The problem is that security is just an illusion. So we just give away our freedoms for, really, nothing in return.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM

205 posts, read 456,426 times
I sure would like to see some data on this. Anyone have a citation?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM

192 posts, read 530,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
It's not even a good money grab... the county is only getting something like 25% of the fines, the camera company gets the rest. The city didn't even want them... the city council voted them down but the county (Maggie Brooks) managed to push them through anyway.
The red light cameras are only in the city of Rochester and I believe they are maintained by the RPD traffic section. I don’t think it has anything to do with the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
We keep trading our freedom for security. The problem is that security is just an illusion. So we just give away our freedoms for, really, nothing in return.

The red light cameras only look at the license plates of the car running the light. Also they are fixed meaning they can’t pan around to look at pedestrians or anything else. The red light cams are not the cameras attached to the small grey boxes with the RPD patch and the flashing blue lights.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,130 times
Sorry... it appears I flipped my information. It was the county legislature that voted down the red-light cameras, and the city pushed it through[1]. The company that's managing the cameras is called Redflex[2].

I can't find the source at the moment for the percentage of the revenue that goes to the city... but I'll do some digging.

[1]Rochester’s Red Light Cam Plan on Hold
[2]Red Light Traffic Cams - Genuine Safety or Invasion of Privacy

Old 10-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
The red light cameras are only in the city of Rochester and I believe they are maintained by the RPD traffic section. I don’t think it has anything to do with the county.

The red light cameras only look at the license plates of the car running the light. Also they are fixed meaning they can’t pan around to look at pedestrians or anything else. The red light cams are not the cameras attached to the small grey boxes with the RPD patch and the flashing blue lights.
I'm well aware of what they look like- they have a ton of them on intersections in NJ. I believe they are an invasion of privacy whether or not they photograph the driver or not.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
Criminal surveillance.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 9,522 times
Easy fix: don't speed through intersections, pay attention to the road, and leave enough space between you and the car in front of you so can react to them slamming on their brakes. This is ridiculous. If you're following the law, you shouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 PM

192 posts, read 530,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I'm well aware of what they look like- they have a ton of them on intersections in NJ. I believe they are an invasion of privacy whether or not they photograph the driver or not.
Really? Then what exactly is an invasion of privacy just b/c the police are utilizing new technology does not make it an invasion of privacy. The new police tactics have to be actually intrusive to be an invasion of ones privacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Criminal surveillance.
What do you mean? Are you calling the cameras criminal or are you just saying that the cameras are being used to watch criminals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaichuk View Post
Easy fix: don't speed through intersections, pay attention to the road, and leave enough space between you and the car in front of you so can react to them slamming on their brakes. This is ridiculous. If you're following the law, you shouldn't be overly concerned about it.
Nice post I agree with you 100% the cameras aren’t a problem if people would actually drive like they should anyway. And as an added bonus it will generate some money for the city, which is cash strapped. It beats raising taxes.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
Really? Then what exactly is an invasion of privacy just b/c the police are utilizing new technology does not make it an invasion of privacy. The new police tactics have to be actually intrusive to be an invasion of ones privacy.

What do you mean? Are you calling the cameras criminal or are you just saying that the cameras are being used to watch criminals?

Nice post I agree with you 100% the cameras aren’t a problem if people would actually drive like they should anyway. And as an added bonus it will generate some money for the city, which is cash strapped. It beats raising taxes.
Technology and privacy are not mutually exclusive. What is non-intrusive to you might be intrusive to others. Personally, I find the idea of red light cameras to be a stepping stone to other intrusive government activities, such as National ID cards, RFID's, govt database of medical records, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area