Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
I wonder if that is because many people who are Rochester transplants get directed to move to the east side on forums like this and therefore "dilute" the accent?
That could be it. When we moved from the city to Webster, a large amount of my friends in school were part of transplant families. I'd say there is at least a 50/50 split with my east side friends who have roots in Rochester opposed to having parents who moved here from somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
webster/iron/pen/fairport all have it REALLY bad ..its all of rochester trust me..to an outsider, it wouldnt matter if you're from north/south/west/east/ or anything in between, we'd all sound 'funny' to them. i am at school right now, and i literally have 1 person a day comment on how i talk, its obnoxious. i always thought we talked like a typical midwestern newscaster.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
trust me there absolutely is a Rochester accent--I am away at college right now, and I am reminded of how 'different' I talk almost daily.

and I wouldn't be caught dead calling pop 'soda'....i cannot stand that word.

LOL. In Texas we call all carbonated cola drinks "Cokes." Makes it a lot easier.

"Want to stop for a coke?"
"Yes, I'll have a Dr. Pepper."

Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
webster/iron/pen/fairport all have it REALLY bad ..its all of rochester trust me..to an outsider, it wouldnt matter if you're from north/south/west/east/ or anything in between, we'd all sound 'funny' to them. i am at school right now, and i literally have 1 person a day comment on how i talk, its obnoxious. i always thought we talked like a typical midwestern newscaster.
Really, I kind of consider myself an outsider, and at first I couldn't tell the difference between the east and west sides, but to me newscaster is a good way to describe it on the east side. But I'm serious here. I don't hear it nearly as much on the east side. The west side it is more noticeable.

Being raised in North Jersey, I know what you're going through at school. I get ripped everytime I open my mouth when I go anywhere, and it does get annoying. Now, after being here for a while, I get ripped at home, too lol. Maybe I've been here too long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
You mean like "Qpawns"? That's how I've always said it...
Not trying to start anything, but when you pronounce sports coupe, you don't call it a "Kewp", do you? But don't worry about it - there are ways that I pronounce things that probably drive everyone around me nuts. No sweat.

Last edited by aaron4040; 10-24-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
But when you pronounce sports coupe, you don't call it a "Kewp", do you? But don't worry about it - there are ways that I pronounce things that probably drive everyone around me nuts. No sweat.
After reading this, I thought I should clarify. That's "kewp" like "Kewpie Doll".

Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 AM

233 posts, read 685,593 times
I've never, in my entire life, said "sports coupe" or "Kewpie Doll" (whatever that is). Not helping!

But I looked at my HS French textbook and figured out the right way to pronounce it. Language is a great reference tool.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
coupons= coo-ponz.

Also, the accent is prevalent everywhere; but it is definitely stronger/more noticeable on the west side vs. the East side; with the distinct exception of Irondquoit, which while laying to the west of the Genesee, we all know is really more of a west-side town. I say this while sitting in my home office in my house in Greece, near Bryeaaadic Bay, so I'm not just stereotyping the west side from a snooty Pittsford perspective

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I've never, in my entire life, said "sports coupe" or "Kewpie Doll" (whatever that is). Not helping!

But I looked at my HS French textbook and figured out the right way to pronounce it. Language is a great reference tool.
That would be awesome if upstate New York were in France, but it's not. And why do you still have your HS French textbook? In my school we had to give ours back at the end of the year. I kid. Anyway, according to dictionary.com:

cou·pon

{koo-pon, kyoo-] Show IPA
–noun 1. a portion of a certificate, ticket, label, advertisement, or the like, set off from the main body by dotted lines or the like to emphasize its separability, entitling the holder to something, as a gift or discount, or for use as an order blank, a contest entry form, etc.

2. a separate certificate, ticket, etc., for the same purpose.

3. one of a number of small detachable certificates calling for periodic interest payments on a bearer bond. Compare coupon bond.

Both pronunciations are considered correct - I was talking about where the line is between coopon and qpawn. I promise I'm not trying to knock anyone for saying it either way lol.

And a couple more while we're at it -

Kewpie Doll (ˈkjuːpɪ) — n 1. trademark a doll having rosy cheeks and a curl of hair on its head 2. ( often not capitals ) any brightly coloured doll, commonly given as a prize at carnivals

coupe

1     [koop]
–noun 1. Also, coupé. a closed, two-door car shorter than a sedan of the same model.

2. coupé ( defs. 1–3 ) .

The more you know

Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM

233 posts, read 685,593 times
Wow, you know how to copy/paste from dictionary.com? Stellar.

I did mention, in the second line of my post, that I figured out how to pronounce it correctly, so why does it matter how I came to that discovery? Oh right, it doesn't.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wow, you know how to copy/paste from dictionary.com? Stellar.
Yes I do. And it is quite stellar. Thank you. Jeeze, maybe I forgot to mention that in the original post -
Quote:
Anyway, according to dictionary.com:
Oh, wow, looky there. I did mention it. I used the internet as a reference and actually acknowledged it. Weird.
Quote:
I did mention, in the second line of my post, that I figured out how to pronounce it correctly, so why does it matter how I came to that discovery? Oh right, it doesn't.
Yes you did. And no it doesn't.
Maybe I didn't mention in my post that I was kidding?
Quote:
That would be awesome if upstate New York were in France, but it's not. And why do you still have your HS French textbook? In my school we had to give ours back at the end of the year. I kid.
seriously though, I was just teasing. Sorry if I offended you.

Last edited by aaron4040; 10-25-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area