Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the Rochester area would you prefer to live in?
The City of Rochester 5 33.33%
An inner ring suburb (Irondequoit, Brighton etc.) 2 13.33%
An outer ring suburb (Henrietta, Penfield etc.) 7 46.67%
A small town outside of Rochester (Caledonia, Palmyra etc.) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times

Advertisements

In which part of the Rochester region would YOU prefer to live and why?

Last edited by 585WNY; 11-19-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Since I reside in Greece and have lived here my entire life, with the exception of my first year and a half when I lived with my mother at my grandmothers house, I chose the outer ring option. I personally like having a good size yard, and neighbors that aren't right on top of me. I personally see no reason whatsoever to live in the city. I guess if I liked century old buildings with drafty windows and odd layouts, off street parking, and no personal yard space it'd appeal to me.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I also live in Greece, which can kind of fit into both the outer ring suburb and inner-ring suburb categories. Southern/Eastern Greece is more inner-ring esque whereas northern/western Greece is more outer-ring-esque. I grew up off Ridge Road just west of 390, in what would decidedly be called inner ring suburbia. When I first got married we lived off of Vintage between long pond and 390, which is kind of right between the two. Currently we live in N. Greece North of Latta Road, which definitely feels more outer-ring suburbish to me. Honestly I could live in any of the choices available. I have enjoyed my time in Greece (all but 13 years of my life); and when our last little guy is grown up and out of the house I'd love to own one of those old houses with character and charm in the city. Have never lived out in the country towns like Caledonia, HF, Mendon, etc. but I imagine they would all be nice places to live too.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
If I lived in Rochester, I'd most likely live in an inner suburb like Brighton, western Irondequoit and parts of Chili. I could live in any of them though. I'd probably go with Caledonia, Scottsville or even LeRoy if I went with the small town thing.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM

99 posts, read 228,106 times
City (quiet side of Park Avenue east of Culver) - hands down except for having school-age kids. With kids, in Brighton somewhere near Highland (first choice) or Pittsford village (second choice).

Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,198 times
i'd live in the city. I like rochester. it needs our support to grow. I can't stand suburbs anymore with its strip malls, asphalt oceans and apartment complexes. If I were to move back to Roc (I moved away last year to the DC area), I'd buy 2-3 houses side by side in either the 19th ward or the upper monroe area. I'd live in one, and rent the other 2 out to UofR/RIT kids. Then I would bash mayor duffy over the head for his plan to fill in the subway with dirt. I'd buy out that aqueduct too and reinstate the trains!!! what is wrong with the city government? so much potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area