Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM

14 posts, read 46,679 times

Advertisements

That is when Rochester winters were real. Lol the snow was up the power line poles. Everybody would help everyone and all you could see was white every where. We all played out in the snow making tunnels and sledding in the yard. We had so much fun with the old time snow mobiles
lol remember what they looked liked? My father was stuck at work for two days.

What were your experience, what were you doing that day and what things did you do or fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM

32 posts, read 135,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX ROCHESTER View Post
That is when Rochester winters were real. Lol the snow was up the power line poles. Everybody would help everyone and all you could see was white every where. We all played out in the snow making tunnels and sledding in the yard. We had so much fun with the old time snow mobiles
lol remember what they looked liked? My father was stuck at work for two days.

What were your experience, what were you doing that day and what things did you do or fun.
That was a localized Western New York storm. It hit Buffalo, due in large part to snow on the surface of Lake Erie blowing in from the west, which did not reach Rochester. So to answer your question, I remember being glad I didn't live in Buffalo at the time. It was business as usual here, but bitterly cold and windy.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,782,060 times
Lake Erie had frozen and something like 2 feet of snow was sitting on the ice. A real blizzard moved in and the wind added that snow to it. Result? A huge mess, 90% of the worst, staight east of the city

Over 20 boxes of snow in the attic of our ranch, blown in thru the vent. House under drifts ( pics to prove it). The mark on the pole is where kids climbed up on frozen drifts -- it is over 13 feet and in spray paint. The minus 20 temp here did not matter. The only transportation was snowmobile "trains" for a few days, courtesy of the sheriff. We needed a hi-lift to "plow" the driveway. NOt a fun 2 weeks where we live 20 miles east of Buffalo. Oddly, we lost no power or phone or gas... thank God!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,551,624 times
I was just a kid but remember hearing about how crazy it was in Buffalo and being like "what blizzard?"....we didn't get squat in Rochester.

I wasn't living here in 2006 but I know that it was a similar case for the "October surprise". Buffalo got all that snow so early in the season...and in Rochester; nothing. It was in the 50's with a light breeze. It's crazy how isolated these storms can be!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,821,586 times
I had moved to SoCal in the summer of 77, but the winter of 76 was so brutally cold. It did snow alot but I remember it being way below zero for many weeks and if I went outside, I couldn't breath because the air just froze my lungs. It was bad...I didn't move to California particularly for the weather, but it was a bonus! Now it seems the winters there aren't nearly as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area