Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,873 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I;m considering moving to rochester, Ny once i graduate from school in May from WVU (morgantown, WV). I was just wondering what life was like there. I love the outdoors, snowboarding/skiing, kayaking, hiking , swimming, etc ... Also, where do the young professionals live? What is the nightlife like there? And anything else you would like to add, would help me out tons... thanks alot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Look in the Southeastern quadrant: Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants

Monroe Village (http://monroevillage.org/default.aspx - broken link)

Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA

HOME

Welcome To Monroe Avenue

SWPC

Upper Mt. Hope Neighborhood

Welcome to Swillburg!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleC1 View Post
Hello!
I;m considering moving to rochester, Ny once i graduate from school in May from WVU (morgantown, WV). I was just wondering what life was like there. I love the outdoors, snowboarding/skiing, kayaking, hiking , swimming, etc ... Also, where do the young professionals live? What is the nightlife like there? And anything else you would like to add, would help me out tons... thanks alot!!
there are plenty of outdoor activities. There are a couple ski options within an hour of Rochester, but if you are really into skiing, VT and the Adirondacks are only a few hours away for a weekend trip. Plenty of kayaking, hiking, swimming options around. Many young professionals live in the Park ave area. Some of the more hipster types live in the South Wedge. The nightlife is pretty good for a city it's size. Several clubs, a wide variety of bars, music venues, restaurants, etc. Depends on what you are into.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
My condolences on your decision.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Of all places in the country, why did you pick Rochester?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Why not? Rochester still has plenty to offer and there isn't an area in the country that isn't feeling it in terms of the economy right now.

I'm just surprised that the OP hasn't considered Syracuse considering that WVU plays in the Big East and they could watch them play here.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM

355 posts, read 869,342 times
Well for skiing and snowboarding there is Bristol Mountain. You can kayak on the Erie Canal or on Irondequoit Bay. Hiking is fun to do at the state parks like Watkins Glen or Letchworth. Swimming can be done in the pools located at the two parks I just mentioned or you can head to Ontario Beach Park, Hamlin State Park, Durand Eastman Park, or go to Seabreeze our local amusement park that also features a water park.

Nightlife really isn't anything to brag about here. You can find young professionals anywhere, but as already mentioned by others, the park avenue area near downtown and the southwedge area are popular.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM

205 posts, read 456,489 times
Hi there. Great idea to post here for input on your move to Rochester. We did the same thing before moving to Rochester in 2009. There were many many constructive posts and links provided to us that helped us make our decision.

But also know that some people are jaded and negative, as they are everywhere. That's just a fact of life.

The links provided above for Park Ave are good. That's the part of town I live in. I also really dig Monroe Ave as it is the closest thing we have to a "BIG CITY" feel. If you are going more for suburban bliss, there is plenty of that here too.

I see that posting links here is okay, so here is another one. This is a page I built on my blog that has a list of ALL the Rochester Neighborhood Associations websites I could find. It took me 3 hours to do this research, so I hope that it helps you out a bit. Some are more active than others:

http://rocville.com/?Rochester-Neigh...ions&PID=15091

Let us know how else we can help!!! Cheers.

Last edited by purdue512; 01-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Rochester's real estate taxes are ridiculous.

In some areas, crime is ridiculous.

The winters last a little bit too long for good mental health.

Other than that, it's a great place to live.

The summers and falls are glorious.

Lake Ontario, the river, and all the Finger Lakes provide a lot of fun in warmer weather and beauty year 'round.

All the festivals are well worth attending.

It's great to be able to drive 2 hours and get to another country and all that it offers -- Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Toronto (4 hours away), to name a few things.

People are some of the nicest and most honest in the country.

Sometimes you have to move elsewhere to get a new perspective.

I lived in Rochester -- including Charlotte, the Maplewood neighborhood, and the town of Greece for decades and then moved South. There is a lot I miss about Rochester.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,019 times
Default from texas to rochester

I am going to move from the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas to Rochester-area for grad school. I have been comparing the two areas and it seems fairly similar, except for the weather. I think I can handle trading 100 degree heat for snow. Either way, they are extremes that one prepares for.

I am wondering what the community has to offer. I like to practice yoga, my husband and I are vegetarians, and am studying art therapy. Does Rochester have a liberal streak? Do people compost, are people "green" or environmentally aware? What is the arts culture like? What is the public transportation like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area