Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Not 1 (ONE) police car was observed (and I'm very observant), in daytime driving from SC to NYS.....And just miles into NYS, 2 out of the 3 troopers we saw had someone pulled over.....I was stunned how fast people drove thru PA in the 55mph zones and est it at 75 mph at the rate they pulled away yet not a one was ever seen pulled over....

As for the trailer homes/decaying houses: it's the 1st group of residences you see as you enter NYS via rt 15; I did not infer it was the entire state....not a great 1st impression for an already much maligned state...

As for the increase of residents? Take a look at the profiles; it's mostly people looking for the "welfare lifestyle" as NY is touted as the state with the best freebies, if you will....

And for no other reason to be tired of NY, here it is, April 25 and our previous weeks weather was cold and wet, this weeks is the same as is the following week....that alone will push me to packing my bags and heading out....Mother Nature doesn't even like us
so first it was no police from FL to NY. Now it is from SC to NY.... which is still hard to believe as they are all over the place... Even more so driving through MD and on rt 15 in PA. I can think of several states where the first thing you see when entering is something unfavorable... big deal.
And what data do you have to support that the increase of population in this area is due to welfare folks?
And you do realize that crappy rainy weather isn't localized to WNY this spring, right? My friends down south were complaining about the crappy spring too... some having to deal with tornadoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
A couple of weeks ago, I drove to Columbus Ohio. Seemed like a boom town to me, but the person I was visiting talked about forclosures in his neighborhood of almost brand new suburban houses selling at forclosure auctions for $50,000. Driving down 271, Cleveland looks like a boom town. Cleveland. I guess you can't get a good feel for an area just driving through on the expressway.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Not too many people take Route 15 into NY anyway. You could say the same thing for any other state on a similar route.

I also agree about the police presence in terms of being visible, as my brother is a cop in VA and they do not play there.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
OK NYS fans; think what you want but the stats show differently...the state is dying and people are leaving in droves and not coming back.....

As for not taking to 15 into NY from the south, I drive with a former over the road trucker and it's the route we always take from the northern part of PA into NY onto Rochester...guess he's been wrong all these decades

As for boom towns in Ohio....there isn't a boom in existence in Ohio....

And again, no police presence giving out tickets all the way up from SC (I started in FL but the one day trip was from SC into NY) except NYS.....please stop telling me what I didn't see

I only wish I could see NY like you all do but I don't and all the friends and family that have moved and now say "Best thing I ever did; should have done it sooner...." confirm it my opinion....

And finally, my job has me working with relocating families and in the last 4 years, more have moved out than in and the ones moving in all are at the lower economic scale....facts are facts....

Now I'm moving along to the VA/NC forums planning my move.....

Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
You didn't observe one police car because most of the speed traps in NC at least (and trust me there are TONS) are unmarked; usually dodge chargers.

I'm also confused....do you think it's a GOOD think that people in states south of NY can get away with driving at such higher and more dangerous speeds without getting pulled over? It's a very mixed response from you. There are in fact higher death rates from motor vehicles down south pretty much across the board when you compare northeastern states to southeastern states; which you acknowledge by saying that you are no surprised by that because of how fast they were going. But then you make it sound like NY is so bad for pulling people over for speeding? Which is it?

All I can say is this...after LIVING in the south, for 13 years. And after previously living in Rochester for 30 years before that...I have found myself on both sides of this fence at different times. The anti-ny sentiment is understood to a degree; but I agree it often gets extremely exaggerated

The property taxes here are outrageous (really that is the only one that makes any significant difference; much of the taxes we pay here are similar to if not lower than those down south). Nobody has ever denied it.

The weather here is cold and dreary for much longer periods of time than down south. Our summer weather on the other hand is much more pleasant; and honestly I like to be able to spend the whole day outside in the summer than I liked being able to have a few days where I needed no jacket in the winter down there. The transitional seasons are hit and miss in both areas though obviously spring comes earlier down there (which, especially this year, I have missed!)

But NY is not some crumbling unlivable hole where everything is going wrong and nothing is going right. And the south is CERTAINLY not all blissful boomtowns with endless jobs (Charlotte and Raleigh both have higher unemployment rates than Buffalo or Rochester), perfect weather (been paying much attention to the tornado outbreaks down there the past few weeks?), and flawless infrastructure.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....except it's really not.

It sounds like you have very reasonable reasons for wanting to move, and by all means I'm not here nor is it any right of mine to tell you you'd be wrong or foolish to do so. However for the love of god please do not come on to this forum or the D&C discussion forums after you move touting about how much better your new location is compared to Rochester while you are still in your honeymoon phase with your new location. I've read other posts of yours over the years and it seems like you are a very fairminded and respectful individual; It would be a darn shame if suddenly having warmer weather and shiny new houses and commercial areas surrounding you suddenly made you feel entitled to bash the rest of us for choosing to remain in our hometown.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 04-25-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You didn't observe one police car because most of the speed traps in NC at least (and trust me there are TONS) are unmarked; usually dodge chargers.

I'm also confused....do you think it's a GOOD think that people in states south of NY can get away with driving at such higher and more dangerous speeds without getting pulled over? It's a very mixed response from you. There are in fact higher death rates from motor vehicles down south pretty much across the board when you compare northeastern states to southeastern states; which you acknowledge by saying that you are no surprised by that because of how fast they were going. But then you make it sound like NY is so bad for pulling people over for speeding? Which is it?

All I can say is this...after LIVING in the south, for 13 years. And after previously living in Rochester for 30 years before that...I have found myself on both sides of this fence at different times. The anti-ny sentiment is understood to a degree; but I agree it often gets extremely exaggerated

The property taxes here are outrageous (really that is the only one that makes any significant difference; much of the taxes we pay here are similar to if not lower than those down south). Nobody has ever denied it.

The weather here is cold and dreary for much longer periods of time than down south. Our summer weather on the other hand is much more pleasant; and honestly I like to be able to spend the whole day outside in the summer than I liked being able to have a few days where I needed no jacket in the winter down there. The transitional seasons are hit and miss in both areas though obviously spring comes earlier down there (which, especially this year, I have missed!)

But NY is not some crumbling unlivable hole where everything is going wrong and nothing is going right. And the south is CERTAINLY not all blissful boomtowns with endless jobs (Charlotte and Raleigh both have higher unemployment rates than Buffalo or Rochester), perfect weather (been paying much attention to the tornado outbreaks down there the past few weeks?), and flawless infrastructure.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....except it's really not.

It sounds like you have very reasonable reasons for wanting to move, and by all means I'm not here nor is it any right of mine to tell you you'd be wrong or foolish to do so. However for the love of god please do not come on to this forum or the D&C discussion forums after you move touting about how much better your new location is compared to Rochester while you are still in your honeymoon phase with your new location. I've read other posts of yours over the years and it seems like you are a very fairminded and respectful individual; It would be a darn shame if suddenly having warmer weather and shiny new houses and commercial areas surrounding you suddenly made you feel entitled to bash the rest of us for choosing to remain in our hometown.
Funny, in a round about way, you upheld my view completely and as for where I move, it won't be Raleigh or the like; I'm more Roanoke VA/Hickory NC or even Lititz PA as it's amazing how the weather improves just 5 hours south of here.....I'm really about the weather and the lack of sunny days combined with a great decline in NYS's overall fianacial health that has us so disenchanted...

And finally, the speed thing was strictly an observation and truly, there were no pull overs seen until NYS and then there were 2 within a few miles over the state line....I was unnerved at the speed that was allowed prior to NY and I traveled well within the posted while being bumper rode until passing was possible and away they flew.....a light tap on the brakes and you'd have mayhem....scary

Again, I wish I lived where the sun shined more.....and no, the grass isn't greener but I didn't coin the term "snowbird"; older folks have left the drearyland for decades....I'll take a sunny, hot morning walk over a snow-shoveling frigid morning anyday and more and more so as I get older.....

And I promise I won't harrass the NYers when I move: I'll be too busy enjoying the outdoors If you look at the timing of my posts over the years, they coincide with bad weather happening out my front door and I'm trapped indoors......from the looks of the next 2 weeks around here, I'll be on here a lot.....

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 04-25-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Actually, hasn't Roanoke lost people in recent years? Hasn't every major metro in NY, minus the Buffalo area, gained people this past decade? Isn't the overall cost of living between Upstate NY metros and many Southern metros a virtual wash? I think people just need to put things into proper perspective and realize that there are pros and cons to each area, including the Rochester area.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Lol @ the idea of speeding and higher speed limits causing more accidents. Yeah, there's really a huge difference between 55 and 65mph

Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, hasn't Roanoke lost people in recent years? Hasn't every major metro in NY, minus the Buffalo area, gained people this past decade? Isn't the overall cost of living between Upstate NY metros and many Southern metros a virtual wash? I think people just need to put things into proper perspective and realize that there are pros and cons to each area, including the Rochester area.
no doubt there are pros and cons to all aspects in life but when someone states they do not like an area (Rochester/NY in this case), that doesn't seem to apply: everyplace else is as bad....I respect some people actually seeing the sunny side of the state but I don't and would move today if feasible with no looking back.....respect that in return

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
smalltown, you're not allowed to dislike Rochester unless you can provide specific, quantifiable statistics proving why you have the right to dislike it And also, no generalizations!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area