Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,186 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, another moving thread here.

I'll be moving to Rochester pretty soon and I'm torn between Greece and somewhere in the city, like Park Ave or Southwedge. Anyway, I've found a decent place in the Park Ave area (near alexander and meigs) and I was wondering how this area was in terms of safety. I know the Park Ave area is supposed to be relatively safe, but how safe is specifically the meigs/alexander area??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 05:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
It really depends on where you are on Alexander or Meigs; if you are on the north end of either of those streets, closer to Park Ave; you are in a nice area; if you are more towards the south end of those streets, especially in the area south of Monroe and North of 490;; it isn't as nice. It's not that that area of the neighborhood is particularly dangerous or run down; it just isn't considered as nice or happening of a neighborhood as the areas a little further north closer to Park Ave.

But when you say you are deciding between Greece and the city; the question that comes to mind is what type of lifestyle are you looking for? Do you want the walkable city neighborhood where you can easily walk to shops and restaurants; or do you want the larger home with the larger yard with more family oriented nieghborhoods of Greece and other suburbs?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,186 times
I think I'd prefer the walkable city life to living in a suburb, but it also comes down to where I find employment in the sort of Greater Rochester area. Either way I'd be living in an apartment, so no real yard or anything in Greece either. I'll probably choose inner city Rochester, just to be close to more things to do.

Anyway thanks for the info!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
ok, well if you are looking for an apartment you definitely want to be in the Park Ave area of the city The suburbs don't really have many apartments. I do have to caution you though that moving without a job in any area is pretty risky, especially in this day and age. While it is nice that you want to move here, I'd strongly suggest finding a job first. That would not only keep you from ending up unemployed and broke in a city you are unfamiliar with; but will also help you decide what area is best for you to live based on where you'd be working.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 33,062 times
Default Park Ave

I second that, Park Ave is a much nicer and seems like it would suit you well. Anything in the Southeast is a safe bet.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM

169 posts, read 476,322 times
Meigs and Alexander get a little dicey between Monroe Avenue and South Clinton. North of Monroe Avenue they are fine streets except for the portion of Alexander that extends north of East Main. I personally would stay south of University Avenue on Alexander. The portion of Alexander that stretches south east of South Clinton into the southwedge is less nice than the portion of Meigs that stretches south through the Elwanger-Berry neighborhood.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggz3 View Post
Meigs and Alexander get a little dicey between Monroe Avenue and South Clinton. North of Monroe Avenue they are fine streets except for the portion of Alexander that extends north of East Main. I personally would stay south of University Avenue on Alexander. The portion of Alexander that stretches south east of South Clinton into the southwedge is less nice than the portion of Meigs that stretches south through the Elwanger-Berry neighborhood.
x2

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,986 times
Overall, and this is just my opinion - when weighing the pros and cons of all areas, Greece is definitely preferable.

The pros you're looking for are pretty much all there, and less negatives. Apartments are a little more, but there's a reason for that. Also, Greece is pretty big; I would suggest staying away from the border of the City and Greece.

Depends on who ya are I guess and what you do and don't mind.
Good luck

Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM

19 posts, read 29,282 times
If you are looking in the Park Avenue area, I would suggest a little further down. The intersection of Park and Berkeley has a lot to offer -- tons of restaurants, a small convenience/grocery store, a CVS, bank, bars, parks, etc. and it's super safe. I lived at Berkeley and Milburn (a block away from Park) for a while and absolutely loved it. It's a nice mix of people there -- there are many young professionals, families, college students, and many of my old college professors live in the area.

Meigs street is closer to East and Alexander if you like the club scene, but otherwise it doesn't really have anything on Park and Berkeley, Culver, or Oxford. It's also a little less safe as you get closer to Monroe Ave. Another thing to be aware of in this area is the possibility of noise from all the clubs on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Southwedge is definitely an area with "pockets", meaning the safety kind of varies from block to block. I would look around Gregory and South Avenue. There are lots of little shops and bars there, and it tends to be safe.

I don't really know much about the suburbs. If you moved to Greece, it is fairly convenient to shopping, but I don't know anything about neighborhoods, as I have only lived downtown or in the Park Ave area.

Rochester is a wonderful place to live. Good luck on your move!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM

9 posts, read 16,106 times
I've been searching for apartments in the Park Ave area. While searching, it became clear that I wanted one in Park Ave. I'm young, single, and like the ability to walk to restaurants, shops. I work in Fairport, but I've grown up here my whole life, and need a change.

In terms of safe, I think the more southeast you go in Park Ave, the better. Definitely stay east on Monroe, and I'd say south of South Goodman.

I am curious about the safety on the outskirts of the Park Ave area, towards Monroe. Like around Oxford Street. How much less safe is that area as opposed to the better parts of Park Ave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area