Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times

Advertisements

A member of the Sibley family is attempting to bring a new Ferry linking Toronto and Rochester back to the port by May 2012, and a second one in 2013.

Sibley descendant floats idea to restart ferry service | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

I don't know guys, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 AM

76 posts, read 169,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
A member of the Sibley family is attempting to bring a new Ferry linking Toronto and Rochester back to the port by May 2012, and a second one in 2013.

Sibley descendant floats idea to restart ferry service | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

I don't know guys, what do you think?
I'm all for it, provided it's a private venture and doesn't rely on public tax dollars to survive. While the ferry wouldn't shave a whole lot of time off the trip, it provides a lot of convenience of not having to drive, or have lengthy waits sitting at the border (and burning fuel).

Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
The first ferry was a disaster and not realistic. A scaled down version would be more appropriate. Hopefully this one works if put into place.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 PM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
Great! I'm ready for the second installment from the Native Canadian.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Unless they open it up for commercial use, it will be another flop. Our economy is in too huge a hole for anyone to use the thing consistently, and nobody from Canada will want to come here and burn more money for less experience than they get in Toronto. Remember last time this was tried? The only way it will survive is if they allow semis to use it. But I'm sure there will be too much red tape to allow that to happen.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM

From what I read, a good amount of Canadians did come over the first time they tried the ferry. There was interest but the boat was way too big and expensive. A scaled down version might work. Canadians do come here for festivals, the wineries nearby and to shop. In the winter time, not so much.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
What exactly would a Canadian come here to shop for that they can't get in Toronto? I could see maybe coming for the wineries, but I highly doubt they're coming here for any of our small festivals or shopping. It's not like we're comparing Toledo OH with Rochester, this is Toronto we're talking about.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
What exactly would a Canadian come here to shop for that they can't get in Toronto? I could see maybe coming for the wineries, but I highly doubt they're coming here for any of our small festivals or shopping. It's not like we're comparing Toledo OH with Rochester, this is Toronto we're talking about.
Things are cheaper stateside, and our dollar is at par and promises to be so for many years. I think you'll get many visitors from Toronto. The outlets just east of Syracuse aren't too far away either. The Finger Lakes wine region too which I think is better than Niagara.

If I lived in T.O., I'd take this ferry.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM

I've come across many Canadians that come to here, Syracuse and Buffalo for shopping since it's cheaper for them at many times. And those festivals do attract people from Canada and places much farther. Try getting out and talking to people.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've come across many Canadians that come to here, Syracuse and Buffalo for shopping since it's cheaper for them at many times. And those festivals do attract people from Canada and places much farther. Try getting out and talking to people.
I can co-sign on this statement, as this past Sunday, I saw several Ontario plates in the Northern suburbs of Syracuse. Even on city-data, a poster from Ottawa says that he takes the airport here in Syracuse for flights, because they are cheaper. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see quite a few Canadians taking the ferry to Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area