Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,287 times

Advertisements

As I said from the title I'm moving into the rochester-ish area. Most likely the penfield/pittsford area. I want to know what high school is like there.

Are the students stuck-up rich kids/friendly?
Are the sports competitive, especially soccer?
Where do the teens hangout?
Is style and brand name clothing a big thing for the girls?
Are the academics competitive?
What are the class sizes?
etc etc etc...

Tell me everything you know, even if it has nothing to do with the high school. Please&Thankyou !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,287 times
...also, do the students have jobs and if so where?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 32,202 times
The three best towns for a family are the three "Ps"; Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield. The best school district is Pittsford (ranked in top 50 in US). The Pittsford school district is the best around. People in the Rochester suburbs are friendly. The Fairport school district is good. Stay on the east side of Rochester. The best area in Rochester is Pittsford.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 AM

117 posts, read 434,750 times
hi

We have lived all over but grew up on LI...had several opportunities to go back to the tri state area but couldn't do it bc we were afraid of the snob and materialistic factor for the kids....

I have 1 in HS in Pittsford and 2 in middle...love love love it....There are stuck up kids everywhere and kids concerned with labels but no where near what you would experience down state...for example: My 10 yr old niece on LI just got her first coach purse!!! Here kids are likely to have a coach clutch in High School but just as likely to have something from Target and be happy with it. My daughter tells me that there are stuck up kids but she is involved in sports (crew) and it doesn't bother her. I have a son on travel soccer and it is very competitive...most sports are quite competitive here...in fact there was a special in the dc a month ago detailing the accomplishments of Pittsford athletically this year...amazing!! I cant say enough about Pittsford....schools and teachers are caring and involved...because there are so many out of area families that move here it is pretty friendly...if you are worried about that I would move in a newer neighborhood bc those families tend to be new to the area and looking for friends also...
Teens tend to hang at the mall, pittsford plaza and the village...
I have found class sizes at high school quite good...ranging from 7 to 24 but tending to be around 21

Kids tend to work at Wegmans, the mall etc

hope that helps

Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Brighton would be another great choice and it is a pretty diverse suburb as well. Webster is another nice Eastern suburb. A sleeper that has an old money to it is the West Irondequoit SD. Hilton is another very good SD that many forget about.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,480 times
Hi NJ !

Good questions.

I think we all look a school districts differently. I will make the assumption that this is the area that you are specifically interested in. With that in mind, Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield and Brighton are great schools. If your thinking sports then Pittsford, Fairport and Penfield are the schools you will be more interested. All districts have lots of Soccar (very important sport in this area). There are snobs in all the schools yet you will find that the majority are really great kids and you will be most welcomed. It's a mix on the name brand clothing-- Some wear designer, other do it sometimes and some never wear them -- it is not probably make 'the difference' here.

These are web sites for the school district

Pittsford Central School District Pittsford Schools mostly in the town of Pittsford but some in East Rochester School District

Fairport High School Fairport School in in the town of Perinton. Some of the town of Fairport is in the Pittsford school District

Penfield Central School District Penfield School District is mostly in the town of Penfield. Some of Penfield is in Brighton School district

The areas are all really close and every school has it's own flavor. It would be really good if you could shadow someone who is interested in the same things as you are for a day this summer. I gather you are interested in Soccar -- what else is really important to you. All are cool schools yet offer different things.

I am a realtor and I work with a lot of parents with questions like yours, ...good questions by the way. I suggest you study the web sites and if you have anything specific that you are worried about email me cbarton@rochester.rr.com

Oh, by the way I have 3 kids and I grew up in the Greater Rochester area. I lived in Pittsford for a while and now I live in Perinton (Fairport School district).

Warmest Regards,

Cathy Barton

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 16,106 times
Yes, the kids are stuck up. But I personally love it.

Perhaps I am stuck up myself.

In general, the towns are very friendly and they really are great areas.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerNYCinRochester View Post
The three best towns for a family are the three "Ps"; Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield. The best school district is Pittsford (ranked in top 50 in US). The Pittsford school district is the best around. People in the Rochester suburbs are friendly. The Fairport school district is good. Stay on the east side of Rochester. The best area in Rochester is Pittsford.
There's nothing wrong with the west suburbs. Certainly less affluent, although there is money in certain pockets. Otherwise pretty middle class. The east side has 2/3'ds of the population and most newcomers settle there.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There's nothing wrong with the west suburbs. Certainly less affluent, although there is money in certain pockets. Otherwise pretty middle class. The east side has 2/3'ds of the population and most newcomers settle there.
True and the Western suburbs have canal towns in Brockport and Spencerport, homes on the shore, solid to very good schools and are generally more diverse in terms of volume(ethnic/racial and economic).

Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,155 times
Default some knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontoya6595 View Post
As I said from the title I'm moving into the rochester-ish area. Most likely the penfield/pittsford area. I want to know what high school is like there.

Are the students stuck-up rich kids/friendly?
Are the sports competitive, especially soccer?
Where do the teens hangout?
Is style and brand name clothing a big thing for the girls?
Are the academics competitive?
What are the class sizes?
etc etc etc...

Tell me everything you know, even if it has nothing to do with the high school. Please&Thankyou !
i dont live in pittsford but the pittsford schools are top notch..soccer of course is number 1 since it is abby wambach's old high school ..im guessing name brands are somewhat popular with the girls but i have to say i do see a lot of boys in name brands then girls..i work in fairport which isnt to far from pittsford..and both schools are wonderful..pittsford has a wonderful village where teens hang out ..again im not from pittsford or fairport and fairport has a nice hang out for the teens as well in there village.. everyone knows everyone and the school system was rated very high in academics..

hope this was a little helpful to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area