Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,111 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are a young family moving from Watertown to Rochester. We have been in Watertown for the last several months and before that lived in Cleveland for a very long time. In looking over real estate, we're trying to get a feel for one area vs. another... I hear lots of good things about Pittsford, Penfield, Fairport and Brighton. Could someone tell me more about Greece? Webster? Irondequoit? (And by the way, how exactly is that pronounced? I feel like I'm butchering it everytime I try.)

I have also heard that there is an east vs. west? Eastern suburbs are higher class, west are more middle class? We have 2 young sons (under 5) but school systems are of utmost importance. Also, communities that have lots of activities for kids -- sports, or other recreation-center type related activities (swim lessons, karate, music, etc)...

Rochester Public Market -- is it as awesome as it sounds? Cleveland has the West Side Market which sounds very similar and is AMAZING. I miss it greatly.

Are there any other great things about Rochester that we should make a point to check out?

I have heard wonderful things about Rochester as a whole so I'm very much looking forward to experiencing it for myself. Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Webster is an Eastern suburb and is similar to the other Eastern suburbs. It is on Lake Ontario too. Greece is a big town and is more middle class. North Greece is mostly in the Hilton SD, if I'm not mistaken. Irondequoit is more of an older suburb that ranges from lower middle class to upper middle class. There are 2 SD's(East and West Irondequoit) in the town. It's pronounced eye-ron-di-koit. Henrietta is another suburb that has a lot of shopping and lower taxes. Rush-Henrietta is the SD and is pretty good. Pittsford is arguably the most affluent community in Upstate NY. Very good schools as well. Chili is another town and some kids go to Gates-Chili, Churchville-Chili or Wheatland-Chili. All are good, solid districts. Brockport and Spencerport are western suburbs that are further out and are on the Erie Canal. Brockport also has a college campus.

I'm not sure about the market though.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 AM

192 posts, read 530,676 times
The Public Market is a brilliant place to shop if your used to the Western Market in Cleveland you should like it a lot (although our public market might be more similar to the Eastern Market in Detroit because its more of an open air market) also in my opinion Rochester is like a smaller version of Cleveland as both cities look and feel very similar

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
You might want to check out the Strong Museum of Play, as there are plenty of things for your boys. Perhaps Seabreeze Amusement Park as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
We have two young kids (5 and 7) and we are NEVER short on activities. We live in the Park Ave area and frequently walk down to the Science Museum. We go to the Eastman House sometimes. We hit the planetarium frequently as well as the Museum of Play. In the summer, there are tons of swimming opportunities, etc. Seabreeze is always a huge hit. We do that at least once per year.

I would also 2nd the public market. Great experience. Great people. Really quite authentic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area