Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 PM

56 posts, read 130,901 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and haven't lived in NY in 7 years, and even when I did I was on the island and I've heard the snow in upstate NY is way worse than on long island, so I'm not really sure what to do when it comes time to prepare for winter if I move to Rochester.

I'm weighing all my options on where to move after I leave Long Island (My husband and I will be moving into my cousin's house there in a few months and afterwards want to move upstate) and trying to figure costs of everything (I know it's early, but I'm anxious)

Anyway, I just got new tires two months ago and they're all season.. would it be best to switch to snow tires if we move to Rochester? Are they generally more expensive than all season?

Is there anything else I should be aware of during the winter times upstate?

Thank you in advanced
-Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,533 times
This same question was recently posted on the Buffalo thread, so you may want to take a look at that. Here's what I posted on the Buffalo thread - same applies to Rochester.

My "recipe" for snow preparedness in Buffalo/Rochester:

Home:
1) Snow plowing contract or snowblower. You still need a snow shovel, but you'll kill yourself trying to keep up with the snow by just shoveling.
2) Have salt or those pellets on hand for icing walkway/driveway days
3) Be sure your gutters are cleaned out prior to the winter deep freeze

Car/Driving:
1) Good tires. Some will say you need snow tires. Unless you live out in the country or have to drive up/down alot of hills, you don't need them as long as your regular tires are good. I never had them and did fine.
2) Always keep wiper fluid filled - you will use it alot in the winter to clean windows from salt road spray
3) Get winter rubber mats for car (or your rug car mats will get ruined from the salt)
4) Practice "fish-tailing" and turning into skids in a parking lot - you need to be able to react automatically if you skid.
5) Always have a good car brush and scraper on hand in your car. I also had one of those retractable car snow shovels - just in case you get stuck - it can help dig you out of a rut.
6) Slow down driving when the road conditions are bad! Don't panic if you go through a white out - try to follow the lines or makers on the road to stay driving in the lane.

Clothing:
1) Snow boots - you don't have to spend a lot - Target, Walmart or any department store will have plenty to pick from.
2) Good coat - one of those puffy down-type coats is best. Again, you can get this at any dept store, Target or Walmart.
3) Hat, scarf and gloves

Your Sanity:
Get involved in some winter activities or you will go stir crazy. Go for a walk on those rare sunny days. Try ice skating or cross country skiing. Get out of the house!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM

56 posts, read 130,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
This same question was recently posted on the Buffalo thread, so you may want to take a look at that. Here's what I posted on the Buffalo thread - same applies to Rochester.

My "recipe" for snow preparedness in Buffalo/Rochester:

Home:
1) Snow plowing contract or snowblower. You still need a snow shovel, but you'll kill yourself trying to keep up with the snow by just shoveling.
2) Have salt or those pellets on hand for icing walkway/driveway days
3) Be sure your gutters are cleaned out prior to the winter deep freeze

Car/Driving:
1) Good tires. Some will say you need snow tires. Unless you live out in the country or have to drive up/down alot of hills, you don't need them as long as your regular tires are good. I never had them and did fine.
2) Always keep wiper fluid filled - you will use it alot in the winter to clean windows from salt road spray
3) Get winter rubber mats for car (or your rug car mats will get ruined from the salt)
4) Practice "fish-tailing" and turning into skids in a parking lot - you need to be able to react automatically if you skid.
5) Always have a good car brush and scraper on hand in your car. I also had one of those retractable car snow shovels - just in case you get stuck - it can help dig you out of a rut.
6) Slow down driving when the road conditions are bad! Don't panic if you go through a white out - try to follow the lines or makers on the road to stay driving in the lane.

Clothing:
1) Snow boots - you don't have to spend a lot - Target, Walmart or any department store will have plenty to pick from.
2) Good coat - one of those puffy down-type coats is best. Again, you can get this at any dept store, Target or Walmart.
3) Hat, scarf and gloves

Your Sanity:
Get involved in some winter activities or you will go stir crazy. Go for a walk on those rare sunny days. Try ice skating or cross country skiing. Get out of the house!

Thank you for responding
I will definitely keep this in mind for when it's time to move up there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area