Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,893,297 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know what their reputation is...was it a good experience? are they fair? I think they're hands down the BEST grocery store in the country and we're pretty damn lucky to have em..just wondered what it's like on the "other side" of the register...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,547,886 times
I feel like I was the only kid in my high school who DIDN'T work at Wegmans; I have no personal experience, but I mean, it has been rated as one of the top 10 companies in America to work for every single year that list has been compiled. They must be doing something right!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,496,592 times
Working at any of the minimum wage (or near minimum) positions sucks no matter what the survey said.

I spent a few years working in various parts of the stores (cashier, helping hands, maintenance, bulk foods). I also spent a couple of summers in the grocery warehouse and frozen foods warehouse... which was equally miserable. No air conditioning, no natural light (all the lighting is the yellow sodium lights), dark, smelly and fly-infested areas from broken/rotting products in hard-to-reach areas, significant union presence and job hierarchy.

I was also offered a position upon graduating college in software development for a measly $35k... which was a bit of an insult after having worked for the company for 5 years. I turned it down though, so I can't offer much insight from the corporate side of things.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,687,813 times
Friends that have worked in management seemed to like it. The company treated them well. Friends in HS that worked there treated it like any other part time job.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM

23 posts, read 110,453 times
I worked there for six years, starting in High School and going through the end of my college career. While I just was a cashier, there's alot of opportunities for growth...you can move to different departments in the store, or work in the corporate office, which is in Rochester (I interned there for a summer, and it was a good experience).

Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,298,828 times
No, but I do know it was rated the best company to work for one year, and it's constantly in the top 10 lists.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
No, but I do know it was rated the best company to work for one year, and it's constantly in the top 10 lists.

Yeah.. I guess it depends on where in the store you work. And what your long range- or not- plans were.

When I was in college I worked in the deli department at Bells -an old now defunct super market chain in Buffalo. I sliced meat all day. I came to hate the smell of meat. It eventually made me mean and rabid toward the customers.

I am a vegetarian today by the way. Enough said.

Back to Wegmans...I'd hope to get in their corporate communications dept with my background..I think those Alec Baldwin spots are just awful. Who cares what some bloated "I'm over 40 and still think I'm hip" bad actor feeds his mother from Wegmans...he'd be the LAST person I would want as a spokesman for my company.
Cheers!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Working at any of the minimum wage (or near minimum) positions sucks no matter what the survey said.

I spent a few years working in various parts of the stores (cashier, helping hands, maintenance, bulk foods). I also spent a couple of summers in the grocery warehouse and frozen foods warehouse... which was equally miserable. No air conditioning, no natural light (all the lighting is the yellow sodium lights), dark, smelly and fly-infested areas from broken/rotting products in hard-to-reach areas, significant union presence and job hierarchy.

I was also offered a position upon graduating college in software development for a measly $35k... which was a bit of an insult after having worked for the company for 5 years. I turned it down though, so I can't offer much insight from the corporate side of things.
Just curious (nosey I guess!) -where did you end up working and do you still shop there? A friend of mine moved to Buffalo from Sacramento and ended up managing one of the stores in Amherst and just loved it there...I special order stuff there they don't stock due to shelf space issues and they couldn't be nicer

Who knew there was such a colorful "netherworld" in Wegmans behind those swinging doors? Sounds like a biochemist could have a lot of fun back there

Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,496,592 times
Oh, don't get me wrong... I love shopping at Wegmans... just not working for them.

I worked for a local HMO in the Rochester area, but have since moved on to working at a different company.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM

1,865 posts, read 3,418,459 times
Definitely a good old boy deal going on when I worked there, years ago. BTW, those surveys don't mean much, really, no more than the "Rochester 100" the D&C posts once a year. Granted, the benefits are good but the pay was never all that great for folks in most positions in the stores.

Conversely, the Teamsters make sure their folks are taken care of, and they love to mess with the stores, sending rotten food and whatnot, especially around contract time. Drivers intentionally agitate the loads, etc.

Some skilled and educated folks do well at that company, however some of their behind the scenes business practices, especially with regards to promotions, are questionable. They'll put the screws to employees who move up the ladder, while depriving folks of education benefits for master's degrees and whatnot. The commitment to the company can be especially demanding for those who move up, even folks willing to relocate. So people have to take these points into consideration.

That said, they have a great 'brand', so to speak and have one of the best supermarket chains in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area