Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,392 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I'm a young female wanting to start a new life in the city I was born in. I was raised here in San Diego, CA and aside from what many would argue I will ONLY miss the weather and Mexican Taco Shops and those are worth sacrificing to get away from San Diego. This is not a city for me at all, besides ALL my family are on the east coast and I have ZERO interest here.

A bit about myself:

I'm 21, Nursing Major, No Children, My income is compared to an average American student (scrambling!) I will complete my prerequisites at Monroe Community College(heard they have dorms?) and then transfer.

My Questions & Main Concerns:

- What are nice, affordable areas and neighborhoods that I should consider?
- What are all areas and neighborhoods I should AVOID and stay away from?
- What is the weather like in Rochester during winters and how long does it last?
- What is the minimum wage? (I'm seeking a pt job while in school)
- How is Public Transportation? Is it dependable? Or is this a city I'll NEED a car for?

Thank you so much for taking time to read and feed me more detailed information about this city, I'm ecstatic to move here soon and become a permanent resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
This should give you some information about the area: Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 87,596 times
Weather Advisory

It starts to get chilly in October and progressively becomes bitingly cold towards the end of November (most years). When snow hits, it usually comes down in heaps. I'd argue most years we get many, many days filled with 'dumped' snow, a.k.a. lots of it at once. Welcome to Lake Effect. This year was an off year and we didn't get nearly as much (not enough to actively snowmobile in). Snowy and 'gray' weather can (and usually does) last until late March.

Prepare for wind and many dark days without sun (if you find it hard to adjust I'd recommend an S.A.D. therapy lamp). The upside to this is that when it does snow, it's usually the beautiful kind...fun to watch and do stuff in, not so much to drive in. If you have a car, I highly recommend snow tires or 4 wheel/all wheel drive. SUV's are good WNY vehicles. If you are not used to it, it may take some time to learn to drive properly in this kind of weather. Get ready to test those reflexes and reaction times!

Stock your closet full of boots, scarves, hats and even under-armor or leggings to wear under your pants if you want (always a good tip).

Adjusting to this kind of cold and gloomy weather will probably be hard at first, but as someone who was born and raised in Virginia I can say that if you're that determined to be here you will get used to it...and dare I say, might even like it.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM

192 posts, read 530,817 times
-If you’re going to MCC you might want to consider staying at their dorms, there is also a neighborhood of low rise apartment/townhomes (called Rustic Village) located directly across the street from MCC. I know that a lot of students, as well as some immigrants, stay there and the buildings always look very clean and well maintained.

The city is divided into four quadrants. The Southeast is by far the nicest and the most affluent quadrant. It’s also where most young people decide to live. Not only becuase its the safest but also because it’s the most trendy and just has the most services compared to all the other areas of the city. The Park Ave, Monroe Ave, and the South wedge neighborhoods are especially popular.

As for the bad areas, there are some pretty dismal sections of the Northeast and to a slightly lesser extent the NW and SW quadrants. Luckily there are really no parts of the SE that are dangerous, so if you strict to the SE part of the city you can guarantee that you won’t accidently stumble into the wrong neighborhood.

-Winter here basically lasts from November through April. Although April is always a mixed month, one day it will warm up and people will be out in t-shirts and the next day everyone could be back in their winter jackets.

-The NY minimum wage is $7.25 per hour

-Rochester’s public transportation is ok, depending on where you came from. For instance we don’t have any trains or street cars it’s pretty much all buses here. Each bus fare is very reasonable and only costs $1.00 a ride. The bad thing is that the buses don’t come by every 10 minutes like they do in a place like NYC. You’ll have to look at the schedules and make sure you’re at the stop on time or you could be waiting up to an hour for the next one to come by. Also MCC has their own private shuttle bus that runs between the main campus in Brighton and their satellite campus downtown. The shuttle is free with a student ID card.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
-If you’re going to MCC you might want to consider staying at their dorms, there is also a neighborhood of low rise apartment/townhomes (called Rustic Village) located directly across the street from MCC. I know that a lot of students, as well as some immigrants, stay there and the buildings always look very clean and well maintained.

The city is divided into four quadrants. The Southeast is by far the nicest and the most affluent quadrant. It’s also where most young people decide to live. Not only becuase its the safest but also because it’s the most trendy and just has the most services compared to all the other areas of the city. The Park Ave, Monroe Ave, and the South wedge neighborhoods are especially popular.

As for the bad areas, there are some pretty dismal sections of the Northeast and to a slightly lesser extent the NW and SW quadrants. Luckily there are really no parts of the SE that are dangerous, so if you strict to the SE part of the city you can guarantee that you won’t accidently stumble into the wrong neighborhood.

-Winter here basically lasts from November through April. Although April is always a mixed month, one day it will warm up and people will be out in t-shirts and the next day everyone could be back in their winter jackets.

-The NY minimum wage is $7.25 per hour

-Rochester’s public transportation is ok, depending on where you came from. For instance we don’t have any trains or street cars it’s pretty much all buses here. Each bus fare is very reasonable and only costs $1.00 a ride. The bad thing is that the buses don’t come by every 10 minutes like they do in a place like NYC. You’ll have to look at the schedules and make sure you’re at the stop on time or you could be waiting up to an hour for the next one to come by. Also MCC has their own private shuttle bus that runs between the main campus in Brighton and their satellite campus downtown. The shuttle is free with a student ID card.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Very informative information!! I'm very pleased you took time and replied to me as well as everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area