Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 141,111 times

Advertisements

Freshtracks,

Sometimes it's nice to ask a question, or answer one, without an agenda. Since you've made this personal, albeit in a snotty tone, I'll take the bait. I'm not from Portland (and your comment makes me wonder what you know - and don't know - about PDX). I was born in Chicago. I lived in Paris, France, for two years in my early thirties, and know a thing or two about the projects outside that city. I am not trying to achieve street cred (nor am I sure what that even means, except I know it isn't me, I am not a rapper). I just like checking out bad neighborhoods, not with a chip on my shoulder or looking for trouble or anything like that. Just walking around. Like I said in my first post. Rochester's blighted neighborhoods are -by the standards of Saint Louis, where I lived for four years in the ghetto myself - very tame. Tacoma is tougher by statistics, or at least it was, but doesn't feel quite as edgy. You're not addressing someone who hasn't ever been anywhere or seen anything. Now that that's clear, let's stay on topic. At this point, I live in Rochester, and have explored a fair amount already. People have generally acknowledged me and some have even chatted. I'm glad I'm here.

Last edited by ankagula; 03-06-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 35,424 times
If you're living in the south wedge... go outside... you've arrived!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 35,424 times
Plymouth Ave, Ave D, Portland Ave. Anything north of the inner loop. Carter st is very charming. But for that drive by shooting experience, anything around Genesee st will do. Fact is, you can get stabbed in the middle of the day at the liberty pole and that's on east Main street. But..... within these areas are some of the most beautiful homes you can imagine. The old mansions on West Ave. and most anything near Cobbs hill, some of the holmes and gardens are breathtaking.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 AM

192 posts, read 530,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed12 View Post
If you're living in the south wedge... go outside... you've arrived!!!
Plymouth Ave, Ave D, Portland Ave. Anything north of the inner loop. Carter st is very charming. But for that drive by shooting experience, anything around Genesee st will do. Fact is, you can get stabbed in the middle of the day at the liberty pole and that's on east Main street. But..... within these areas are some of the most beautiful homes you can imagine. The old mansions on West Ave. and most anything near Cobbs hill, some of the holmes and gardens are breathtaking.
Have you lived in Rochester in the past 20 years? Some of your info is so off base i dont even know where to begin…

The South Wedge used to have some problems (and is still more gritty then the other trendy areas) but it is far from dangerous. The S wedge is also a favorite spot of urban professionals it has a handful of restaurants some boutiques, and even condos. It’s also close to the Highland Park neighborhood which is home to several more middle class and affluent homes.

Genesee Street might not be the first place I would choose to live but it’s defiantly not “the drive by shooting experience”. There have been a lot of improvements, thanks to the new UR student housing on Plymouth Ave; and the growing Brooks landing development. Now most of Genesee ST is actually very safe (even areas that weren’t less than 10 years ago). Today you have to go pretty far down Genesee to get to the rough areas and even then I would not be fearing for my life.

Considering your post about Genesee St I’m surprised to hear that you think Carter St is so charming. Not to knock Carter, its miles ahead of some parts of the NE, but in my opinion it has a lot less going for in then Genesee st does.

I agree with you that crime can take place anywhere, so it’s always good to be vigilant regardless of where you are…although probably not at the liberty pole as there are always two RPD officers posted there during the day.

I also liked your point about the city having beautiful homes and great architecture; even in some of the most blighted neighborhoods…West ave is defiantly a good example of that. But not Cobbs Hill
CH is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city and its less than 100 yard from Brighton

Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM

8 posts, read 141,111 times
Arrived at the lesbian coffee chop and the chichi chocolate store? Maybe the overpriced bicycle shop? I was trying to address crime - so far, areas around Hudson Avenue seem to be the most dangerous. Avenue D, maybe. That's the neighborhood where people are always trying to sell me drugs or themselves.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankagula View Post
Arrived at the lesbian coffee chop and the chichi chocolate store? Maybe the overpriced bicycle shop? I was trying to address crime - so far, areas around Hudson Avenue seem to be the most dangerous. Avenue D, maybe. That's the neighborhood where people are always trying to sell me drugs or themselves.
Yeah that sounds right did you go up all of Hudson ave? what did you think of 05 vs 14621? Also did you go to any of the west side neighborhoods? There are some rough areas off Jay st and same thing for Emerson.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 18,664 times
Default How about west mainstreet .

My husband is getting an offer at alstrom west main street.can you give me a input about that side of downtown?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM

I just looked up Alstrom online; their address appears to be at 1 West Main Street. This is in downtown Rochester, a very safe area. There are some rough corners on West Main but they’re all in the residential part of the street which is a considerable distance from the central business district.

Our downtown is no Manhattan but there are a significant number of people who work in downtown Rochester so you should see quite a few people out and about during those hours.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,055 times
Can anyone tell me if the 513 Conkey area is ok to live? I am looking at the apartment on Monday and don't know the area well at all, just in desperate need of a one bedroom apartment asap.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:18 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithdnez View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 513 Conkey area is ok to live? I am looking at the apartment on Monday and don't know the area well at all, just in desperate need of a one bedroom apartment asap.
What is your budget? Do you need something close a place of employment? What else are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area