Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,554 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I will be joining the Rochester General Hospital as an intern in June and I will be moving here from India with my wife.
I have been looking at apartments near the hospital and so far have shortlisted
1. brambury apartments
2. northside manor
3. meadow oaks
4. parkway manor

Ne opinions/ reviews about ne of these places ? These are all walking distance from the hospital. I understand that its not necessarily the best area .. but how bad is it ?

also ne general tips abt renting and settling in rochester wil be great

thnk u for yr time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
You could possibly look into apartments in nearby Irondequoit as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 25,081 times
There aren't any real terrific options that are extremely close to RGH-that I know of at least. I would avoid Brambury like the plague because of the walking route that would be necessary. The few streets right across from the hospital off Portland might be ok just because of the proximity to the hospital but I would keep the lease short just in case-no more than six months. What kind of tips on settling in the area are you looking for? activities and such?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM

hey

thnx for the replies
proximity from the hospital is the only rreason i was looking into those apartments since rochester is going to be a totally new place for me. Ne other recommendation ..something not very far off and easy to get to and from using the buses or sumthin ?
and general tips : where do i get furniture, banks/ credit unions ?, activites and such wud be cool too. ne specific rochester quirks i should be aware of so that i dont anger people ... and nething else u feel wud be useful for me

thnx for your time

Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
Welcome to Rochester! It’s a great city; the summer months are almost perfect here and are right around the corner. BTW my grandfather worked at Rochester General Hospital back in the 1960s-1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGiuliano View Post
There aren't any real terrific options that are extremely close to RGH-that I know of at least. I would avoid Brambury like the plague because of the walking route that would be necessary.
I agree it would be best for you to avoid the Brambury apartments because it is on the other side of the expressway from the hospital. The area you would have to walk through to get between Brambury and the hospital is not the most walker friendly. It’s defiantly a safe area so you wouldn’t have to worry about anything like that. Just keep in mind that it may not always be fun to walk that route everyday especially in those cold winter mornings when the sidewalk may or may not be plowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehulil View Post
I understand that its not necessarily the best area .. but how bad is it?
The area you would be considering is fine. While I am not familiar specifically with those apartment buildings, I would suspect that they ok. I can also tell you that the area you are considering is very safe. . I’ve walked around this area several times and have never felt unsafe. The tentative cutoff line that separates the bad from the good areas is Norton St. Although I would argue that this part of Norton isn’t that bad either. This is because the worst parts of the city (which are also separated from better areas by Norton) are all considerably west of Portland Ave. If you were to go over to Joseph or Clinton Ave then you might not want to cross Norton. If you look at a google maps there’s an area of Portland where the street curves to the left…it would not be until you get south of this curve (around Lux St) that you have to worry about safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehulil View Post
and general tips : where do i get furniture, banks/ credit unions ?,
As far as banks I would highly recommend ESL federal credit union. It has all the perks of the big banks like online baking ect. I have a free checking account with them which is awesome since I never have to worry about monthly fees or minimum balances. ESL has two locations in Irondequoit not far from Rochester General.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 03-30-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM

120 posts, read 340,144 times
Maybe you've already looked but since Rochester has a lot of interns/residents I would guess the hospital might have some of this information?

Find out if they have a network of out of town or even foreign residents that may be able to help as they have already gone through it themselves.

And I don't know if you have any interest but there is an India Community Center in the Rochester area. (I know about it because my son played in a chess tournament there and they seem to have a lot of stuff going on) Here is the link

http://www.iccrochester.org/

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:37 PM

Hello everyone

Thank you for helping me out.
I spoke to sum of the residents in the program and most of them lived either in meadow oaks or northside manor. So i think i will probably rent a place there for at least 6 months.
I saw on google maps that there is a walmart close by and was thinking of getting furniture from there ... the usual - bed, mattress, chairs etc ... Ne other places u wud recommend ??

Cheers

Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
Wal-Mart should be fine. There’s also a Roc City furniture on ridge road

http://furnishyourhomenow.com/RocCityFurniture/

Also be sure to check out the festivals in the summer There’s a big one on Park Avenue in august which is always a lot of fun. There’s another festival at the end of June at the Maplewood rose Garden. The Maplewood festival is much smaller than the Park Ave festival but it’s a good opportunity to look at lower falls up close. The waterfall is in a somewhat secluded area and not far from some of the rougher areas of the city; so it’s not always the best idea to go there but during the Maplewood festival there a lot of people around.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM

59 posts, read 235,201 times
And check out rocwiki.org for a good resource on what's up in rochester.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey

I am looking forward to the summer in rochester and also the festivals.
Thanks for all the info ppl

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area