Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 11,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I would not recommend not having a car and having to go to Brockport. It is true that there is public transportation but it is not anything like NYC in the frequency.
There are people that live in Rochester without a car, but if you have to travel to Brockport on a regular basis, I would recommend having one.
Google makes it seem like it runs frequently and I have night classes and dont wanna get stranded. Do you like living up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBeth View Post
Google makes it seem like it runs frequently and I have night classes and dont wanna get stranded. Do you like living up there?
Maybe it does run more frequently. I'm just assuming that since Brockport is more of a rural area, public transportation will not go there as often. I could be wrong.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 32,171 times
Default Former NYC living in Brockport

I live in B-Port. Rent is real cheap; there are many places to rent as its a college town. B-Port has all the stores you need Wegmans, Super Walmart, banks, places to eat, etc. You need a car; forget the buses. I suggest living in the Village of Brockport or the Town of Sweden which encompasses the Village of B-Port. It has a nice quaint Main Street with the Erie Canal running through it.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 11,365 times
Thanks FormerNYC! How long have you been up there?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBeth View Post
Hey all,

I'm moving from NYC to Brockport or the Rochester area. I will be attending SUNY for graduate studies. I do not know anything about Rochester or Monroe County. To be honest I haven't visited Brockport's campus, yet. I know a few people who attend RIT but they live on campus. If anyone can help me out by answering the following questions, I'd really appreciate it.

-What is the cost of living there? (For a 1 bdrm or studio)
-What are neighborhoods are best to live in? (Safe)
-What's generally included in rent, heat, hot water, electric, ect.?
-How public transportation or would it better if I get a car?
-If anyone know anything about SUNY Brockport, the campus culture, please let me know about it.

Thanks in advance
I can't comment on the rent or cost of living because it was a very long time ago living in Rochester during my college days. But you WILL need a car even if you're living on campus. Without one you're sort of marooned, nothing is within walking distance, and you'd be dependent on others for rides or shopping. I don't know about Brockport, but RIT made a huge effort to provide for student's every need on campus so you could get by without a car, but it still wasn't happiness and you'd need to find a friend to mooch rides. I don't know if SUNY Brockport has invested the same infrastructure as RIT (facilities, numerous restaurants, stores, gym, copy centers, convenience stores, etc, etc...) to make students less dependent on vehicles. RIT also chartered a bus to shuttle students for free to and from the mall and the nearest Wegmans... But if possible I highly recommend getting a car either way.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,151,588 times
We live in NYC but own a condo in Brockport. You can reach Brockport from Rochester in 20-25 minutes taking 531 off of 490. 531 has been extended all the way to Washington Street where you can catch 31 (Brockport-Spencerport Rd) to Brockport. 65 mph on 531 from 490 to Washington St makes the drive quick! Brockport is a cute little area and very affordable...it also has an Abbott's, a Bill Gray's and Wegman's so you're set with a few of the Rochester institutions...no Schaller's as of yet, though. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area