Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM

810 posts, read 1,443,263 times

Advertisements

So the RG&E guys are in my back yard today.

I have a typical city house with a row of trees along the back fence life everybody else, and the RG&E wires also along everyone's back fences.

Well, the chainsaw maniacs cut a very large portion of my rather large tree away. The man says that RG&E has decided that any part of your trees has to be TEN FEET away from the wires. And FIFTEEN FEET above them.

This is, of course, insane. A tree branch does not have to be TEN FEET away from a wire to not interfere with it. There is no wind that can move a branch TEN FEET.

Now, it's pretty pointless to argue with chainsaw maniacs, they love their chainsaws, but I think that RG&E ought to be influenced somehow to adopt some reasonable standards, which TEN FEET certainly isn't.

S

PS and oh by the way, there were a couple of branches leaning right on my Frontier line, pushing it down. They could have whacked them off with a flip of the wrist, but they wouldn't do it. They're not RG&E wires. Despite him standing right there with a chainsaw in their hand, in reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM

5,478 posts, read 3,952,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
So the RG&E guys are in my back yard today.

I have a typical city house with a row of trees along the back fence life everybody else, and the RG&E wires also along everyone's back fences.

Well, the chainsaw maniacs cut a very large portion of my rather large tree away. The man says that RG&E has decided that any part of your trees has to be TEN FEET away from the wires. And FIFTEEN FEET above them.

This is, of course, insane. A tree branch does not have to be TEN FEET away from a wire to not interfere with it. There is no wind that can move a branch TEN FEET.

Now, it's pretty pointless to argue with chainsaw maniacs, they love their chainsaws, but I think that RG&E ought to be influenced somehow to adopt some reasonable standards, which TEN FEET certainly isn't.

S

PS and oh by the way, there were a couple of branches leaning right on my Frontier line, pushing it down. They could have whacked them off with a flip of the wrist, but they wouldn't do it. They're not RG&E wires. Despite him standing right there with a chainsaw in their hand, in reach.
The last time RG&E (actually a subcontractor) trimmed branches by my house I asked them to remove even more than they did and they refused. I'm glad they are doing that now (sorry about your situation). Keep in mind, we the customers of RG&E are picking up the tab for this. It's cheaper to trim every 5 years or so rather than coming back every year. I'd rather have the branches trimmed than have my power knocked out and have to wait for an emergency crew to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area