Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What areas should we NOT look to live in, in the Rochester Area?
Central City / 19th Ward 9 60.00%
Charlotte 2 13.33%
Susan B. Anthony 7 46.67%
ANYWHERE inside the city is no good!! 5 33.33%
East Rochester 1 6.67%
Western Suburbs 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
So, is that to say that staying in the SOUTHERN and EASTERN areas of Rochester (city) would be the better options?
Correct, if you want to live in the city, I'd stay out of the northern part of the city except maybe right along Culver/Winton up to the Irondequoit border, or possibly Charlotte. If you are childless and like the bar scene, I'd recommend the east end. If you are more family oriented, South Wedge would be my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Correct, if you want to live in the city, I'd stay out of the northern part of the city except maybe right along Culver/Winton up to the Irondequoit border, or possibly Charlotte. If you are childless and like the bar scene, I'd recommend the east end. If you are more family oriented, South Wedge would be my choice.

Okay, so as such, it looks like the East End or maybe Irondequoit should be the main places for me to look.

TGhanks everyone!--I appreciate the info!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Just popping the post

Quote:
Hi!-- My gal and I are New Yorkers; she, a native, and I, having lived previously in Chicago, St. Louis & Dallas.

We are looking to relocate to the Rochester, NY area sometime after October, 2008, and are interested in learning anything we can about where is good to live, and perhaps, more importantly, where is good NOT to live!!

We are not averse to living in culturally diverse areas, but do want to stay clear of any areas known as "crime hotspots"....

We're looking to find a nice pair of 2-3BR houses (her elderly parents will likely be moving, as well), that would be reasonably priced (Under $130K), in a nice, quiet (SAFE) area, and would be walking distance to Public Transportation and decent grocery stores.

I own a Cleaning Company here in NYC, and will likely be opening up a branch of it in Rochester, unless I decide to take on other employment opportunities, but she will need to have a job in the city, doing administrative work.

Any info you could offer as far as where NOT to look for housing would be appreciated, as well as any info about Irish neighborhoods, waterfront-area housing prices, and ease of transport to the city.

Thanks, in advance!

--Mike

Just popping the post for more answers.....

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Okay, so as such, it looks like the East End or maybe Irondequoit should be the main places for me to look.

TGhanks everyone!--I appreciate the info!

I second that persons post. If you are childless and into nightlife you could live in the east end, but you'd be living in an apt or condo. The park ave area has lots of younger people and you could have a house with a yard. South Wedge has some nightlife and is cheaper than the park ave/east end area. In Irondequoit you'd be in the suburbs. I live there now and its only about a $12 cab ride to the East End if you want to go out.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,840 times
Hello:
This is Oscar Negron from Puerto Rico and I am looking for a nice place in Rochester to buy a house. Which are the best areas according to my price range of 90K to 130K? We are only my wife, my son and I.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negron View Post
Hello:
This is Oscar Negron from Puerto Rico and I am looking for a nice place in Rochester to buy a house. Which are the best areas according to my price range of 90K to 130K? We are only my wife, my son and I.
Hey, Oscar... scout around throughout the thread and I think you'll find a bunch of your questions answered. Also, there seems to be at least one Real Estate agent on here, ready to answer questions and perhaps gain some new business!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 AM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times
I'm looking at an investment property at on Hudson Ave, zip 14621 - it looks like an older property - but looks to be in good shape. Is Hudson Ave located in one of the not so safe areas mentioned above? Would I be able to find good tenants who would want to live in this area?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
I'm looking at an investment property at on Hudson Ave, zip 14621 - it looks like an older property - but looks to be in good shape. Is Hudson Ave located in one of the not so safe areas mentioned above? Would I be able to find good tenants who would want to live in this area?
I'd stop by in your car and check it out. Hmm, scratch that, I would only drive by...with the doors locked...and make sure it is daylight. Sorry to be sarcastic, but I see this question over and over. Search this forum for "14621"

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times
LOLOL - Dag - no wonder the price was SOOOOOOOOO good!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM

OKay - - so what ARE some GOOD Zipcodes, within the city of Rochester, then?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area