Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,401 times

Advertisements

I am glad you and your family are enjoying living in Rochester. My question is are there things you miss about living down south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
He misses mild winters, I'm sure. And low property taxes.

I am from Rochester, and I live where he lived here in the South, and those are the only two things I'd miss.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Love brentwood do you live in the carolinas ? Do you like it or would like to move back to.Rochester. I hear alot from people who moved to NC they do not like it. I hear from people who moved to SC and they love it. Do you miss Rochester? Is there a difference between north and south carolina

Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Brentwood has it spot on...actually I miss the early springs more than the mild winters. I actually enjoy the fact that Rochester usually has a decent amount of snow from December thru February (except for this past freakishly mild and snowless winter) but I am sick of it by March. March in NC brought very pleasant spring weather and that's always the time of year I really miss from down there. I do hate the fact that property taxes in this area are so high as well. Not to the point where I feel like I can't afford to live here (the over COL is still about the same as Raleigh, potentially even lower) but I just find them unnecessarily high and annoying.

Overall I'm still very glad that we moved back to Rochester because it just feels like a more like "home"...very family friendly and community oriented. Raleigh was nice and was very well manicured and shiny and new...but that gave it a very sterile "anytown USA" feel to me. Also the school district situation down there was like a circus show and just kept getting more ridiculous. The suburban Rochester districts offer much more stability and we are glad that our youngest son will get that stability that he wouldn't have had in Wake County schools.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Thank you misinformed. Best to you and your family.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I moved from the Albany area to Aiken, SC. I CAN'T STAND IT HERE! I've been here 2 1/2 years and in the process of buying a house in the Finger Lakes. I'm VERY happy to be moving BACK to NY!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrica25 View Post
Love brentwood do you live in the carolinas ? Do you like it or would like to move back to.Rochester. I hear alot from people who moved to NC they do not like it. I hear from people who moved to SC and they love it. Do you miss Rochester? Is there a difference between north and south carolina
I live in NC. I visited the Rochester area last week. I wish I lived there -- at least between June and October.

It's been raining here in NC every day all summer, and summers are hot and humid. When I visited Rochester, I could BREATHE. I liked sleeping in a room where the windows were open (with screens), and no air-conditioning was necessary. The hottest part of the day was still comfortable to me. (And of course, people from Texas will say, "You don't know what hot is!" and they may be right, but I'm not ever going to live in Texas.)

In just a few (four) days last week, I went to Rochester, then the Thousand Islands (Alexandria Bay/Clayton), (then lost, and finding myself BETWEEN the U.S. border station AND the Canada border station...with no passport!), then Canandaigua and then half-hour south of Canandaigua (Branchport), and then I drove to Cheektowaga near Buffalo and back to Rochester.

Between Canandaigua and Cheektowaga, I became lost -- the GPS lost its signal, but it didn't matter because she'd been sending me in the wrong direction anyway. The Google maps were all wrong, too. There were no humans around to ask. The two businesses I passed were closed, even though their signs said they were open during those hours.

I didn't mind being lost at all. Fortunately, my cell phone worked, otherwise I'd still be there.

The beauty of the Finger Lakes area is STUNNING. I love, love, love it. The Canandaigua area has boomed a bit (and is still beautiful), but the Naples and surrounding area is still so untouched. I'm amazed that it has not been discovered by more people.

During this trip, as I drove all over the state, I realized that all the beauty and charm that so many attribute to North Carolina really does not exist -- yet it DOES exist in New York State -- in its lakes, mountains, small towns, and people.

So often, NY state is lumped in with NYC/NJ, but as you know, they are like different hemispheres.

One thing I like about NY state is that there are far more opportunities there for lakefront living. In the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, there are lakes, but many are often government-owned, some are man-made, and there is no building allowed on them -- no homes, no cottages, no restaurants. The water is murkier, too.

But taxes are so high in NY state. I pay $1,450 here a year. I looked online at a nice house on Lake Ontario in Rochester, with a price of maybe $50K more than mine, and the taxes were $6,450 a year. Egads. If I moved up there for half a year, I would try to rent.

Springtime, which begins in March (what a concept!) in the Raleigh area, are glorious here. But summers are brutally hot (for those used to northern summers). I don't go outside very much in the summers here.

New York summers, on the other hand, are glorious. I never wanted to go inside. I miss the summers terribly. I would like to be able to work remotely and spend June through October in the Finger Lakes area, and the rest of the time in Raleigh. I'm working on it.

Falls in Raleigh are like "Indian summers," and seem to go on and on, which is good. Novembers are not gloomy as they are in Rochester.

As far as the difference between SC and NC, I haven't lived in SC. But when I visited SC a few years ago, I was struck by these these things:

- Miles and miles and miles and miles of trailer homes. Nothing wrong with trailer homes. It just wasn't as scenic as the Finger Lakes or NC.

- At a Walmart, I saw many trucks and cars with Confederate flags. Apparently, they do not care about the flag's interpretation by some as a racist symbol.

- There are different parts of SC that are very different: Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and rural areas. Personally, I'd prefer not to live in a non-scenic rural area (with few lakes and too many Confederate flags), and I don't want to live in a really tourist-y area.

But I'm sure there are many people who are very happy living in South Carolina. And if I ever found the right place, I probably would be, too.

You just have to identify your own needs and investigate both states for yourself.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's been raining here in NC every day all summer, and summers are hot and humid. When I visited Rochester, I could BREATHE. I liked sleeping in a room where the windows were open (with screens), and no air-conditioning was necessary. The hottest part of the day was still comfortable to me. (And of course, people from Texas will say, "You don't know what hot is!" and they may be right, but I'm not ever going to live in Texas.)

I wold probably die in NC . I find the summers in Rochester to be too humid for my taste. I'm glad I've only been to the Carolinas during the fall/winter/spring.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I wold probably die in NC . I find the summers in Rochester to be too humid for my taste. I'm glad I've only been to the Carolinas during the fall/winter/spring.
Here in SC it's warm and humid year round at least in the part I'm in. I'm just outside of Augusta, GA and actually south of Atlanta which is called Hotlanta for a reason! It's usually cooler there than my neighborhood. You could fry an egg on my sidewalk many days of the year.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Here in SC it's warm and humid year round at least in the part I'm in. I'm just outside of Augusta, GA and actually south of Atlanta which is called Hotlanta for a reason! It's usually cooler there than my neighborhood. You could fry an egg on my sidewalk many days of the year.
I was down in Charleston this past winter and some days were nice, but some days were kinda hot for me. I can't imagine what the summer would be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area