Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM

123 posts, read 343,876 times

Advertisements

Hey! We are hoping to move to Rochester soon, we even hit some open houses last time we were in town! My wife grew up there and we've been thinking about moving back for a while. We know really enjoy the Park Ave area and its top on our list for living/house hunting. But we are open to other areas and are hoping for some constructive input. We are thinking about including Corn Hill, Cobb Hill, Park Ave & East Ave....

Should we include Pearl-Megis-Monrone, North Winton Village, Atlantic-University, or others??

We are looking for a relativity safe area, well kept homes/neighborhood, walk-able/bike-able (ideally side walks and within 5-25 minutes walking distance to restaurants/parks/bars/coffee/a few shops, etc..)
A diverse/flavorful area & school system. Family friendly; preferably were we won't be the only lesbian family on the block/school system. Dog Friendly would be great too.
Good schools would be great but, privates schools are a option too. (School systems can change a lot over time so I'm not too focused on buying solely based on the schools.)

We would love all of this in a area were we have a reasonable expectation of finding a single family home. ( would consider a multifamily home that mostly for the owner with small legal rental "in-law" home.)
Private Yard & Off Street Parking is a must 1+ garage would be great. 3+ Beds and 1.5+ Baths. Ideally AC, updated wiring, newer roof & windows, kitchens & baths would be great. Needing some updates is not a deal breaker. And of course we would like to have all of these thing including the awesome neighborhood for under $300,000 the closer to $200,000 the better!

I do realize that may of the areas/neighborhoods are "patchy". (A few blocks are clean, safe, well kept homes and then a few blocks over not so much.)

Please bring on the constructive feed back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM

55 posts, read 131,709 times
You forgot to mention the South Wedge, which should be your next choice after Park Ave. The closer to Highland Park the better. You will get something NICE for between $200K and $300K. You can squeeze into Park Ave. for that price too, if that's what you prefer.

Corn Hill is great but maybe not so much with kids.

I think you can do better than Pearl-Meigs-Monroe. I lived there for a while (on Edmonds). Maybe someone else on this forum can sell you on it.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
All of the neighborhoods you have mentioned would suit you well for what you are looking for with the exception of one thing....schools. The public schools in the city of Rochester are pretty bad all around. There are some good charter schools, but overall, most of them are very poor performing schools; especially when compared to the suburban Rochester school districts which rank among the best in the country (especially Brighton and Pittsford). If you are either a) accepting of the fact that your kids will be in a rough school but probably be amongst the best in their classes; or b) foot the bill for private school.....then this situation could be alleviated. If you want good public schools, I'd suggest the suburb of Brighton. Brighton is one of the best school districts in the country, and in many ways Brighton is an extension of some of the nicest neighborhoods in the City (Highland Park, Browncroft, Park Ave, etc.) but it is going to be a little less diverse and a little less walkable than those city neighborhoods.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM

120 posts, read 338,890 times
Pretty much any of the places you mentioned would work.

I am a former Rochester Lesbian (still a lesbian just not in Rochester) Any way. My partner and I and our 2 kids lived in Merchants Culver area for 15 years. I wouldn't say it's real walkable as far as restaurants and shops though, but there were other lesbian families in the neighbor hood. Quite honestly most of our friends in Rochester are straight. Our former neighborhood has tons of kids. It's really nice.

I'm thinking Monroe, South Wedge, look at streets around Mulberry, Meigs etc. And quite frankly I don't think you'll find yourself the only lesbian family in any area of the city you live.

As for schools. We had a bad experience with the city schools but we know plenty of people that have had good experiences, it just depends Many of my daughter's friends (she's going into 7th grade) will be attending School of the Arts in the Fall (and RCSD Middle School/High School). We know many families that have been happy at 23, 12, 58 etc. So don't count out city schools in spite of what others (including myself may say) Our 9 year old son was at Urban Choice Charter School when we left Rochester 2 months ago and our daughter was there 2nd to 5th grade and was Home Schooled for 6th grade.

If you would ever consider Home Schooling, Rochester is an excellent place to do it. Our daughter was bowling, playing chess and ice skating (all for cut rates) in addition to her nighttime soccer and Irish Dancing.

Are you tuned into GAGV, they have a lot of good information.

Here's a link to the website.

http://gayalliance.org/

And if you're wondering why we left, it was because I got a new job out of state (though we had considered a move to Brighton if we'd stayed in Rochester)

Good luck! and if you want any more information, please feel free to send my a PM or ask here.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM

92,082 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Brighton around 12 Corners may have the best balance of walkability and very good public schools. I believe that parts of the West Irondequoit and maybe the East Irondequoit SD's could also fit the bill too.

There seem to be some solid choices within the RCSD for elementary schools, but for 7th grade and up it is either School of the Arts and certain programs at Wilson Magnet or pretty much bust. There are charter options as well within the city of Rochester. Perhaps even consider private options if you go with a walkable urban neighborhood, as you may get the home you want for less and use the leftover money saved for private schools. Swillburg and Highland Park(aka Ellwanger-Barry), as well as Charlotte and perhaps the southern end of the 19th Ward maybe urban neighborhoods to consider as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

120 posts, read 338,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Brighton around 12 Corners may have the best balance of walkability and very good public schools. I believe that parts of the West Irondequoit and maybe the East Irondequoit SD's could also fit the bill too.

There seem to be some solid choices within the RCSD for elementary schools, but for 7th grade and up it is either School of the Arts and certain programs at Wilson Magnet or pretty much bust. There are charter options as well within the city of Rochester. Perhaps even consider private options if you go with a walkable urban neighborhood, as you may get the home you want for less and use the leftover money saved for private schools. Swillburg and Highland Park(aka Ellwanger-Barry), as well as Charlotte and perhaps the southern end of the 19th Ward maybe urban neighborhoods to consider as well.
And don't count out School 58 aka World of Inquiry which is building up to K-12.

I'm very hopeful with Varga at the helm, I'm just hoping the School Board can be kept under control as in my experience the Board's lack of cohesiveness is a huge stumbling block for the district as a whole.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM

92,082 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
And don't count out School 58 aka World of Inquiry which is building up to K-12.

I'm very hopeful with Varga at the helm, I'm just hoping the School Board can be kept under control as in my experience the Board's lack of cohesiveness is a huge stumbling block for the district as a whole.
Agreed..... I forgot to mention urban neighborhoods like Upper Monroe, Upper Mount Hope and Browncroft that could work too.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM

123 posts, read 343,876 times
Any incite on the 19th ward?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
19th ward is one of those "tricky" neighborhoods. Driving down the streets you see a pretty nice looking neighborhood with well-kept looking homes. However crime in that area is pretty high compared to a lot of other neighborhoods. Overall the further south closer to the Canal that you get, the better; not really a top choice for walkable neighborhoods though (there is also not as much retail there than in some of the other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread). This area IS however likely poised to become the next to become "up and coming" IMO with the collegetown development across the river from UofR.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM

55 posts, read 131,709 times
It would be hard to spend $200K on a house in the 19th Ward. It's hard to spend even $100K. But some new housing is going in close to U of R- you might consider New Housing Development In Rochester's 19th Ward - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area