Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM

123 posts, read 345,082 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a idea of the cost of a 2nd parent adoption in NY. It seems to be more of a process then in MA. Up to 6 month waiting period, home study, criminal background check and so forth. In MA for uncontested 2nd parent & step-parent the waiting period & home study can be waived saving time & money. However, due to timing we will probably need to complete our 2nd parent adoption in NY.

I've been on google and have found a lot about the current process. However, I have not found much about the average costs.

Anyone have experience with this and willing to share information about the costs?

Feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Gets lots of quotes.

When I adopted years ago in Rochester, NY, it cost a fortune, and it should not have cost a fortune. I knew the mother, and it was a simple adoption.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM

123 posts, read 345,082 times
Lovebrentwood- Was it a "full" &/or "Private" infant/child adoption? I know the cost of a "Private" adoption is most costly than on step-parent/2nd parent adoption. When researched private infant adoption it was an average of $25,000-$50,000.

I am specifically interested in the costs & process associated with step-parent / 2nd parent adoption. We are a married lesbian couple considering relocating to Rochester /NY state. Due to timing we might find ourselves needing to complete the 2nd parent adoption in NY state.

In our current state of MA I found generally a uncontested & simple 2nd parent adoption can be completed for $1,500-$2,500. Often for a 2nd parent adoption the for a home study and waiting period can be waived. Heck some people complete it privately with out a attorney.

Any information on costs & resources for 2nd parent adoption in New York State / Rochester City/ Monroe County?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Private. And those quotes are highway robbery! Sorry I can't help you with resources. Maybe a new post asking about a good adoption lawyer? I have found through experience that lawyers mis-handling an adoption can cost you dearly in many ways. It's very important to get the right person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj79 View Post
Lovebrentwood- Was it a "full" &/or "Private" infant/child adoption? I know the cost of a "Private" adoption is most costly than on step-parent/2nd parent adoption. When researched private infant adoption it was an average of $25,000-$50,000.

I am specifically interested in the costs & process associated with step-parent / 2nd parent adoption. We are a married lesbian couple considering relocating to Rochester /NY state. Due to timing we might find ourselves needing to complete the 2nd parent adoption in NY state.

In our current state of MA I found generally a uncontested & simple 2nd parent adoption can be completed for $1,500-$2,500. Often for a 2nd parent adoption the for a home study and waiting period can be waived. Heck some people complete it privately with out a attorney.

Any information on costs & resources for 2nd parent adoption in New York State / Rochester City/ Monroe County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area