Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,455 times

Advertisements

Dia dhuit a chairde,

I have recently learned that I will be working in and living in Rochester from January to March 2013 - I am Irish and I am living in Ireland at present. I am a keen follower of all American Sports. I have been told by a few people now that Rochester is a great city for Sports fans yet I note there are no professional teams playing in the NBA / NHL / NFL. I am aware that the Bills and Sabres are close but what can I expect during my stay?

Are the Amerk games usually a good nights entertainment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
The Amerks aren't bad to watch, especially now that the NHL is locked out. I went to the home opener on Friday night and they had 7500 people there, and it was a good time. Little packed for my taste, but it wasn't too bad. If you like hockey then seeing an Amerks game is as good as an NHL game for the most part; the only thing really different is the smaller arena.

As far as other winter sports go, there is Rochester Knighthawks indoor lacrosse, and those games are always fun to watch. Better than hockey in my opinion! Faster pace and higher scoring.

And then there is curling, which being European I'm assuming you're familiar with. We have a pretty good curling club here in Rochester if you're interested in partaking in a sport instead of just watching.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,455 times
Thanks for the response - appreciate it. I plan on getting to a few Amerks games. Are the college hockey or basketball teams worth going to see? What kind of attendances do they get at their games?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I second the recommendations above. I'm a big lacrosse fan and like the Knighthawks games. Amerks games are fun too. RIT is a D1 hockey school and are usually highly ranked so those games can be interesting too.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
The only college hoops worth attending is Syracuse if you can get tickets. They're pretty much always sold out but you can usually find some tickets through alternate channels. I know a lot of alumni get them and just turn around and sell them on the internet. Car ride from Roc to 'Cuse is about an hour and a half driveway to parking spot which isn't too bad. So if you don't mind the drive, I'd recommend it. I went to my first 'Cuse game last year when they played one of their rivals, I can't remember who it was, and it was a blast. Especially since they whooped their a$$es lol.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
yeah - for the NHL or NFL you'll need to swing over to buffalo, which isn't bad

Syracuse has major college basketball and those games are fun and it's not that far either

I agree about both the Amerks and Knighthawks

If you want to check out small colleges, those can be a good time ..... completely different feel

with your time in the city you'll miss both the red wings and rhinos ....... you'll probably miss the NFL as well, unless there is a playoff game or something

college football would be out as well

college lacrosse would be starting up towards the end of your stay ...... i favor it a little to the indoor game, mainly because the goalies aren't hyperinflated pivots and you can see some more athletic goal work ........ syracuse again typically has a good team

hobart is usually pretty good for a small school - they are about an hour away in Geneva ...... really small school, but good program

there will also be college basketball & hockey in rochester between schools like RIT, UofR, St. John Fisher, etc

Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
If you get a chance be sure to check out the hockey hall of fame over in Toronto. Toronto is a really cool city to see on its own, it’s about 3 hours to drive and slightly longer if you take the train. Just remember to bring your passport.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 AM

70 posts, read 125,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pduff13 View Post
Thanks for the response - appreciate it. I plan on getting to a few Amerks games. Are the college hockey or basketball teams worth going to see? What kind of attendances do they get at their games?
Definately try getting Syracuse tickets.... It's possible. Nothing like 30,000 fans watching Syracuse basketball. Syracuse football, Buffalo Bills, Rochester Red Wings all good options too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area