Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I just moved to the area and yeah I'm worried. If I knew how NYSEG responds to power outages and how quickly things get back online, then maybe not so much. But it is a hurricane. Sure it may only tropical storm once it gets here, but I was in Fran and Eduardo several years ago. Didn't really want to go through one again!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Absolutely not. The media is over-hyping this storm to a degree I have never seen in Rochester. We're going to get some stiff winds upwards of 40mph and some heavy rain, but this by no means is going to affect us on the scale that the media is making everyone think. This is just the Rochester media showing how bored they are and suckling off the tit of something that will make barely a dent in our daily lives. It's sickening.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
No, we'll get some wind and some rain. Some power outages in a few places but nothing major. People have been buying into the media hype with wegmans being sold out of water. Pathetic.
When I see my friends in NYC having to be evacuated it's kinda hard to worry here.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Absolutely not. The media is over-hyping this storm to a degree I have never seen in Rochester. We're going to get some stiff winds upwards of 40mph and some heavy rain, but this by no means is going to affect us on the scale that the media is making everyone think. This is just the Rochester media showing how bored they are and suckling off the tit of something that will make barely a dent in our daily lives. It's sickening.
Well, I dont have cable so I don't have access to the local news channels. My info is coming from the Weather Channel's website. I'm basing my worries off of past storms, the unpredictability of Mother Nature, being in 2 hurricanes, and that my house is surrounded by trees.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Rochester is too far inland for this storm to be anything more than an annoying inconvenience here. Yeah it'll be nasty out over the next couple of days, we might have some branches fall and there could be some isolated flooding. I usually work from home anyways so I'm basically planning to stay inside with some coffee and watch the trees blow in the wind.

I lived through Hurricane Fran in Raleigh, NC in 1996....now THAT was a disaster. It struck the coast of NC as a major category 3 hurricane and was still a Cat 2 when it went over Raleigh. Spun dozens of tornadoes, widespread flooding (8 feet of water in the major Crabtree Valley shopping mall) and an INSANE amount of downed trees...we lost every tree in our backyard.

Sandy will be absolutely nothing like that when it passes over Rochester.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
We live in the mid-Atlantic and are getting pounded right now..... They still haven't cxl'd schools here for tomorrow yet ( I am sure they will soon) , but my point is that there is NO reason why achools should be closing already in Rochester for this storm. It will no longer be a hurricane when it reaches the area.
I hope everyone is safe of course, but our relatives and the media there are turning this into a huge,megamonster storm there and we are 70 miles from where Sandy came ashore in Jersey and we aren't even playing it up like our friends are doing on FB and emails back there.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I agree....this storm is mostly media hype. They like to do that. First major winter storm will probably get another cutesy nickname too (remember the past few years we've had "Snowpocalypse" and "snowmageddon".) It's all for the ratings. The storm is gonna be a pretty serious issue for the Jersey Shore (watch out Snooki!) and little more than a crappy weather day everywhere else.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Well, I've already lost power for a few hours this evening. Road closures around me....not flooded so I don't know why they were closed. Power came back on a little while ago, but it's been flickering like mad. You could actually hear the electricity earlier when it went out. Creepy!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
I think the main reason schools are being closed is because of the large amount of walkers we have in the surrounding districts, especially the RCSD. There is no reason for any district in the mid-Atlantic to not be closed yet due to the same concerns.

Anyways, I went to Durand tonight with my buddy who wanted to try some surfing. I'd say the waves were 3-4' maybe a few select rollers hitting 6-7' at the very most. This insane 20' estimate they've been tossing around in the media is embarrassing when you consider what the ocean side communities are facing. I highly doubt anything we're going to see is going to top 10' at the very most.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area