Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM

32 posts, read 49,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm origionally from Wayne County (yes, a 315'er ) but my family currently resides in the fingerlakes. My husband works for the state, and will hopefully be taking a position in June that gives him A LOT more freedom location wise. We've always wanted to move back toward Rochester... it's a city we both feel a great deal of attachment to, and let's face it, I need to be closer to Savoia's bakery! Anyway... I was wondering if anyone could give me a few ideas as far as suburbs go, because we really aren't too familiar with many of the surrounding areas with the exception of Webster. Here's some things to take into consideration:

*GOOD school district. We have little ones 8 and 4, we're currently in Auburn and I am not impressed.

*Somewhat small town feel. We don't want closely neighboring houses with tiny yards. I need a big house, with hardwood floors, woodburning fireplace, and at least an acre of yard. Basically feeling like we're in the country, but I'd rather not have to drive more than twenty minutes to Wegmans

*Wayne county is absolutely 100% out of the question, I get my fill and then some when I return to visit relatives.

* Would prefer suburbs either on the Eastern or Southern side of Rochester. Close enough to visit family, far enough to ensure they aren't knocking on my door for coffee every Sunday morning.

*We will probably be looking at homes in the $130-$180 range.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
What about Webster? You can get big lots, close enough to the city and would be close to Wayne county so that you can visit relatives (assuming you have relatives there). Penfield would work too.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This may give you an idea as to what is available according to your criteria: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Also, if you didn't mind the Auburn area, Weedsport or Union Springs are better SD's and Skaneateles, which is 5 miles from Auburn, is one of the best SD's in Upstate NY.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-24-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Webster and Penfield would probably suit you the best. If you think your kids will be into sports...Webster's school athletic programs are some of the best in the state. Fairport would also suit you well though you wouldn't be able to get quite as much house there. Pittsford and Brighton are widely regraded as the "be all end all" of outstanding Rochester area school districts; but Brighton has much smaller lots than what you are looking for and Pittsford is probably too expensive.

I think you'd really be happy in any of the eastern suburbs as they are all wonderful places to live. Just don't tell anyone you're a 315'er

Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM

32 posts, read 49,017 times
Thanks everyone... I was leaning toward Webster/Penfield. Some of the areas around Auburn do have great schools, but it just feels so dead out this way. ONE walmart, ONE wegmans, ZERO decent bakeries. Everyone around here feels about Syracuse the way we do about Rochester. It feels more like home

Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaseys412 View Post
Thanks everyone... I was leaning toward Webster/Penfield. Some of the areas around Auburn do have great schools, but it just feels so dead out this way. ONE walmart, ONE wegmans, ZERO decent bakeries. Everyone around here feels about Syracuse the way we do about Rochester. It feels more like home
I understand what you are saying, as while it is alright, I think its downtown in underutilized. I guess they at least have minor league baseball and plays at the Merry Go Round Theater. Cameron's Bakery is the only bakery I can think of that may work: Camerons Bakery - Auburn, NY

For a bigger Wegmans, check out the Fairmount or Clay(Route 31) locations until the move. Actually, the location in DeWitt/Fayetteville may be the biggest store in the chain.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 PM

103 posts, read 136,206 times
I second the recommendation of Webster or Penfield. I live In Webster and its a really nice area to live and has really good schools and well organized town sports for your kids. A bonus to living in Webster is having easy access to route 104 which affords a quick drive to Wayne county or an easy drive to the city.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM

46 posts, read 144,278 times
Webster and Penfield would be good for you. Also check out Perinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area