Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 12,147 times

Advertisements

I live in Fairport Village, a nice suburb 5 miles SE of Rochester. Excellent schools and they actually plow our sidewalks which I had never heard of before. With an average 100 inches of snow per year it's a nice add on.

When I bought my 1986 built house 10 years ago for under $300k, property taxes were just over 4% of purchase price. They have gone up 2-3% per year since.

East Rochester and Brighton have even heavier levies. A $200k home in a good suburb is easily $7k in property taxes, sometimes $8k. And now we don't get the Federal SALT deduction anymore.

My school tax bill alone is more than the total tax bill on $400k properties in many parts of the country. Monroe Country, population 744k, has 21 school districts. Some of these district supervisors are paid as much or more than Gov. Cuomo who runs a state of 20 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrazek View Post
I live in Fairport Village, a nice suburb 5 miles SE of Rochester. Excellent schools and they actually plow our sidewalks which I had never heard of before. With an average 100 inches of snow per year it's a nice add on.

When I bought my 1986 built house 10 years ago for under $300k, property taxes were just over 4% of purchase price. They have gone up 2-3% per year since.

East Rochester and Brighton have even heavier levies. A $200k home in a good suburb is easily $7k in property taxes, sometimes $8k. And now we don't get the Federal SALT deduction anymore.

My school tax bill alone is more than the total tax bill on $400k properties in many parts of the country. Monroe Country, population 744k, has 21 school districts. Some of these district supervisors are paid as much or more than Gov. Cuomo who runs a state of 20 million people.
I believe SALT impacts Downstate more due to having property tax bills are more likely to be over $10k.

Also, Fairport is another one of those NYPA villages in the area.

Some $200k homes may have lower property tax bills depending on the location and homeowner.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-20-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 PM

That didn't take you very long 👍

Do you research for a change. SALT impacts anyone who pays over $10k in combined property and state income taxes. You pay $8-10k or better in property taxes and it impacts you.

So I save $50-100/month on electric. Big deal, most parts of the country I'd pay a third what I pay in property taxes given the property value. In many places, a lot less.

Property taxes here are the highest proportionate to home value in the nation. It is documented fact. We are being fleeced. It is that simple.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM

^ Didnt take long for what? SALT will impact Downstate more, as they tend to pay more in property taxes.

Keep in mind that the median home price in the area isn’t even $200k and the median percentage in regards to property taxes have already been posted. Same in regards to the Wells Fargo/National Home Builders Association Affordable Housing Index, which factors in taxes along with median family income and median home prices by area.

If you look at median home prices, they are higher in many Southern areas: https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability
So, given that housing makes up about 30% of cost of living(the biggest portion) and is more than just property taxes, price is also something to consider into the total housing equation when comparing different places.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-20-2018 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 AM

You are attempting to defend the indefensible by changing the topic. And by the way, Rochester area real estate values are low for a reason. And they remain low for a reason.

The low cost of real estate works out great only as long as you never leave. If your do, count on other areas to appreciate in home value while yours doesn't. So you lose there as well.

Why not move to Flint, MI? I hear that 4 bedroom colonials there are very affordable.☺️

Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrazek View Post
You are attempting to defend the indefensible by changing the topic. And by the way, Rochester area real estate values are low for a reason. And they remain low for a reason.

The low cost of real estate works out great only as long as you never leave. If your do, count on other areas to appreciate in home value while yours doesn't. So you lose there as well.

Why not move to Flint, MI? I hear that 4 bedroom colonials there are very affordable.☺️
Not at all and is this a new account given the same lines, as well as tone in terms of posting being used?

Appreciation is pretty steady with no big highs or lows, but looking at the information, it appears to be going up steadily. On the other hand, some other areas have had bigger highs, but also lower lows in the past.

Also, Rochester is an area with more older development, which plays a part in the lower prices.

You still have to factor in the housing aspect to overall cost of living and it really comes down to more to government or to banks/financial institutions depending upon where you live in terms of housing. It is still money out of your pocket either way.

With this said, no one on here is saying that property taxes do not need to be lowered, but making a certain situation on here as the norm isn’t true either.

Oh, by the way, if you go with the Flint area, Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek, Flushing, the Kearsley SD area and Goodrich are some solid to nice areas to look into.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
OP the taxes are egregious and likely will not diminish, per the counties web site you are paying about $25 per 1k assessed but it may be as high as $30+ if the additional categories are applicable. I pay 1/3 of what you do for everything including school and our home continue to increase in value.

Seeing the situation in your region likely will not change do you anticipate moving away, at least you speak of positives in terms of the services you receive. I guess you can hope to receive a STAR reduction we all know what a big difference that can make.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:24 AM

^I don’t think the OP is going to make the move, but I could be wrong.

On the flip side, this area has a median home price half of the other area. So, it could also go back to total housing cost, which the Affordable Housing Opportunity Index gets into.

https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...3A67308305DC2F

https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

More: https://www.nar.realtor/newsroom/met...-first-quarter

Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
My boss lives in Henrietta and says he pays $28.40/1000. I'm not sure if he's taxed on full value or not. Either way, it seems reasonable for NYS.
Some current listings from the Rush-Henrietta SD: https://www.howardhanna.com/Property...+Schools%2C+NY

Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I don’t think the OP is going to make the move, but I could be wrong.

On the flip side, this area has a median home price half of the other area. So, it could also go back to total housing cost, which the Affordable Housing Opportunity Index gets into.

https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...3A67308305DC2F

https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

More: https://www.nar.realtor/newsroom/met...-first-quarter
Its not the point of this posting, taxes are high, home appreciation is low and as posters state over and over even when your home is paid off you are paying thousands a year in taxes. When a person chooses or need to move to another location in this country more often then not they have little profit/buying power from there homes sale.

Monroe County's tax table is 23 pages, Ontario Counties is 18 pages its too much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area