Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM

46 posts, read 144,230 times

Advertisements

Which side of Rochester do you prefer and why? Do you ever visit the side opposite from which you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM

205 posts, read 456,386 times
I like the houses on East Ave. But the old buildings on West Main are the most amazing in the city.

So, both.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM

I think the East side has some major advantages, the primary one being close to the SE quadrant where most of the good neighborhoods and cultural attractions are. If you live in Gates or Greece, you have a much further drive to get to Park or Monroe than say Brighton or Penfield. Schools are better in the East side suburbs too. Not really sure what the advantage of living on the West side is beyond having family nearby or lower housing costs. The West side was historically more industrial as thats where Kodak was located. The 19th Ward was a gem 50 years ago, but those days are long gone. Are there any great restaurants on the West side that people can recommend? (not Nick Tahoes!)

Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschap View Post
I think the East side has some major advantages, the primary one being close to the SE quadrant where most of the good neighborhoods and cultural attractions are. If you live in Gates or Greece, you have a much further drive to get to Park or Monroe than say Brighton or Penfield. Schools are better in the East side suburbs too. Not really sure what the advantage of living on the West side is beyond having family nearby or lower housing costs. The West side was historically more industrial as thats where Kodak was located. The 19th Ward was a gem 50 years ago, but those days are long gone. Are there any great restaurants on the West side that people can recommend? (not Nick Tahoes!)
Pizza Stop. He's Chinese Restaurant. Tala Vera.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
I'm in my Sixties. I've always lived on the East Side.

Lately I had been driving around on the West Side and it's like a different country.

S

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 AM

97 posts, read 200,838 times
Quote:
last i heard if ur white u cant go into the west side without getting mugged
Bull. Completely and utterly untrue. I'm a white woman and I visit the West Side all the time. By bike. And I have never, ever felt unsafe or had any kind of problem. The worst place for muggings in the city is actually the corner of East and Alexander. Rates of theft, robbery, and burglary in the Park Ave area are higher than most of the West Side. Ask any cop and take a look at their homeowner's insurance rates.

The 19th Ward, Plymouth-Exchange, and West Main are all active sites of revitalization. Great things are happening over there, as you would know if you got out once in a while.

And by the way, the demographic most likely to be victimized by urban crime is young black men involved in illegal activities. Not respectable white people (/sarcasm).

Last edited by Ilmara; 01-04-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Ilmara, we are a white family with two grammar school age children. We were considering moving to the Park Ave area, but based on your post we are now considering the 19th Ward. Is this a good idea?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM

The 19th Ward has some very nice, middle-class residential parts where people do raise families. The neighborhood also has some trouble spots that give the whole area an iffy reputation, but those are said to be improving. The University of Rochester has been building up Brooks Landing, which has brought a lot of students into the 19th Ward and nearby Plymouth-Exchange. Based on my experiences, I'd say the west side of the 19th Ward is the best part.

I don't know anything about the schools there, however. Most of the Rochester City School District is absolutely terrible, but there are good public elementary schools in the South Wedge and Upper Monroe/Cobbs Hill. The South Wedge one has actually just expanded to eighth grade. So unless you can afford a private school or intend to homeschool, I would consider looking at those three neighborhoods instead. The South Wedge especially has a ton of community (it even has two newspapers) and is very walkable with restaurants and boutiques. Definitely a great urban experience. Upper Monroe and Cobbs Hill have some walkability too but are closer to Brighton in character.

I would definitely not recommend Park Avenue for a family with children. Most of the residents there are young adults and that's who the neighborhood is really geared towards. It's downright uncanny: you walk down the street and everyone you see is in their twenties.

Last edited by Ilmara; 01-04-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post
The 19th Ward has some very nice, middle-class residential parts where people do raise families. The neighborhood also has some trouble spots that give the whole area an iffy reputation, but those are said to be improving. The University of Rochester has been building up Brooks Landing, which has brought a lot of students into the 19th Ward and nearby Plymouth-Exchange. Based on my experiences, I'd say the west side of the 19th Ward is the best part.

I don't know anything about the schools there, however. Most of the Rochester City School District is absolutely terrible, but there are good public elementary schools in the South Wedge and Upper Monroe/Cobbs Hill. The South Wedge one has actually just expanded to eighth grade. So unless you can afford a private school or intend to homeschool, I would consider looking at those three neighborhoods instead. The South Wedge especially has a ton of community (it even has two newspapers) and is very walkable with restaurants and boutiques. Definitely a great urban experience. Upper Monroe and Cobbs Hill have some walkability too but are closer to Brighton in character.

I would definitely not recommend Park Avenue for a family with children. Most of the residents there are young adults and that's who the neighborhood is really geared towards. It's downright uncanny: you walk down the street and everyone you see is in their twenties.
Ironically, School 23(aka Francis Parker Elementary) is the best elementary school in the RCSD and is in the Park/East Avenues area. It is on par academically with most suburban elementary schools too. School 23-Francis Parker - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

There are charter schools that may work as well. Genesee Community Charter School - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

The True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview (in 19th Ward on Brooks)

Rochester Public Charter Schools - Rochester,
NY | GreatSchools

It does seem like the closer to the airport, the better in terms of the 19th Ward(from around Brooks to the Rochester/Chili line).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-05-2013 at 05:02 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Do you know anything about Pinnacle School No. 35 on Field Street in Upper Monroe? I know Martin B. Anderson Elementary on Hillside Ave is supposed to be pretty good but I just noticed this other school today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area