Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM

97 posts, read 200,838 times

Advertisements

Something I've been wondering for some time is, what's up with the Swillburg/Highland Park portion of South Clinton Ave? I'm talking about from where it enters the city to the intersection with Meigs Street. It marks the border between two very popular neighborhoods, is safe, and is full of thriving businesses and several landmarks (the Cinema and Highland Park Diner), yet looks so run-down and depressed. If I wasn't familiar with the area, I would probably assume I was in a sketchy neighborhood.

Not saying South Clinton has to look like Disney's Main Street USA but it could still be a whole lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Looks like a typical gritty main drag area that you see in any city. Doesn't look depressed, but also doesn't look overpriced and overhyped.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM

55 posts, read 132,435 times
I agree that that portion of South Clinton is really bad looking, and it shouldn't be. If you put some decent restaurants or other businesses there, they'd probably do pretty well. But right now it's probably a better bet to continue developing South/Gregory.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here's a cool website with information about South Clinton Ave.: Welcome to South Clinton Avenue, Rochester, New York

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
But right now it's probably a better bet to continue developing South/Gregory.
South/Gregory is already developed. The South Wedge is pretty much completely gentrified at this point. Since Swillburg and Highland are often considered part of the South Wedge, maybe they should start concentrating on South Clinton now. Like I said, it already has great small businesses. It actually has a ton of Southeast Asian character they could work with. Now THAT would be cool. Check out the Hong Kong House facade.

South Clinton Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
South Clinton has potential to be Rochester's Asian district.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 21,886 times
Yes I agree this section could verywell become a hot spot. Would be nice to make it rochesters Chinatown.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I wish some of the area along Clinton(more towards mt hope) would transform from industrial/factory to more residential. It's a nice area but makes some of the area lack character when you have factories with big parking lots ruining the urban experience. It would be hard to do since these places are in business so they just can't be kicked out.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I wish some of the area along Clinton(more towards mt hope) would transform from industrial/factory to more residential. It's a nice area but makes some of the area lack character when you have factories with big parking lots ruining the urban experience. It would be hard to do since these places are in business so they just can't be kicked out.
I disagree. I think mixed-use neighborhoods are a big part of the urban experience. In fact, many urban developments now stress mixed-use buildings that have both commercial and residential spaces. So if business and industry are thriving on Mount Hope, that's great. The city should not interfere with something that works. The industrial look is part of the area's character and there are plenty of strictly residential streets nearby to choose from already.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM

55 posts, read 132,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post
I'm talking about from where it enters the city to the intersection with Meigs Street.
I need to amend my comment, because I'm thinking of the couple of blocks south of Goodman. That's where it is oddly rundown and could be a lot nicer. From Goodman into downtown, it seems pretty normal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area