Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2006, 11:38 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,333 times

Advertisements

(I thought I would post this under a separate topic - makes it easier for people to search for specific towns...)

What I know about Brighton is that it is rumored to have one of the top ten schools in the nation (please correct me if I am wrong). Houses seem affordable, although the town itself doesn't really have a "town center" or community feel to it (this is solely from my own impressions garnered during a quick visit). Not much you could walk to, as it seems you might be able to a bit more in Pittsford. I have heard that it is one of the more liberal suburbs/communities in the Rochester area. So am I on the mark?

Also - I hear very little about Penfield, and it is one of the areas I didn't get to... how does it compare to Brighton?

Thanks to any who answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 07:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Brighton probably has the most defined center area of any suburb of Rochester (with the exception of Pittsford of course). It's called teh 5 Corners area, right in the middle of town. Other than that, you are spot on. It's one of the more liberal suburbs of an otherwise somewhat conservative area (with the exception of the city of Rochester ofcourse). This is probably explained by Brighton's fairly high Jewish population (the largest of any town upstate I believe). Brighton and Pittsford are in the top 10 in the state (which, being New York State, is really saying something), and top 50 in the nation. Penfield is the northernmost "p town". The ptowns, as they are known in Rochester, are known for being fairly affluent and for attracting pretty much anyone who moved to the Rochester area..... they consist of Penfield, Perinton, and especially Pittsford. You could really put Webster into that category too, except that it doesn't start with a P.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 92,510 times
I may be moving to the Rochester area, from what I can read among a few threads is that their are a few nice suburbs that are reasonably priced. However, is their any life their for singles or do you need to stay in the city? For that matter, is their any life for singles in the city area?

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 29,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Brighton probably has the most defined center area of any suburb of Rochester (with the exception of Pittsford of course). It's called teh 5 Corners area, right in the middle of town. Other than that, you are spot on. It's one of the more liberal suburbs of an otherwise somewhat conservative area (with the exception of the city of Rochester ofcourse). This is probably explained by Brighton's fairly high Jewish population (the largest of any town upstate I believe). Brighton and Pittsford are in the top 10 in the state (which, being New York State, is really saying something), and top 50 in the nation. Penfield is the northernmost "p town". The ptowns, as they are known in Rochester, are known for being fairly affluent and for attracting pretty much anyone who moved to the Rochester area..... they consist of Penfield, Perinton, and especially Pittsford. You could really put Webster into that category too, except that it doesn't start with a P.
Actually the center of Brighton is called the Twelve Corners area. I lived there for about 10 years, about a block from there, on Montery Pkwy, inbetween Elmwood Ave and Monroe Ave. The 12 Corners form a triangular shaped park in the center. When I was 10, we moved to Pittsford, where my mother still lives. (I live in Connecticut now.) I graduated from Pittsford Sutherland High School, which is regularly listed as one of the top high schools in the country (I graduated in the 1970's). I think I received a top-notch education there, certainly better than much of what is being taught these days, based on a lot of the forums I go to (mainly fitness forums), some of which are frequented by teachers, who could stand to go back to school for spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.
Penfield is another nice town; my younger sister lives in Penfield. There is a 4 corners area in Penfield, but it really isn't a central area like Pittsford or Brighton. And Perinton, well Perinton is just a town with borders, there is no center of town. Parts of villages are in Perinton - such as East Rochester, Fairport, Bushnell's Basin. There is no "Perinton" school district.

As far as single life, when I was single, I lived in Penfield, right on route 441, Penfield road. I don't really know what the City of Rochester is like now...back when I still lived there, the Park Ave/East Ave area was a great place to live.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area