Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparboy View Post
Nah, just one of the many tens of thousands of educated, talented, hard working people whom have left Upstate for greener pastures in the last 15 years or so. We see there's an end game, elsewhere.

Not one friend of mine from my younger years, who left that region. has returned to live there. I'd venture to guess a lot of the folks who move back (and they are few in number) were overly dependent upon others when they left Rochester. At least that's what I gather from folks who know people whom have moved back.

I can't fathom how someone educated in Rochester area public schools, with at least one college degree on top of that, would:

A) Want to move back there.
B) Get home sick.
C) Have a difficult time finding a job, elsewhere.
D) Just HAVE to move back home, as if they have no other choice.

One thing Rochester does have, in some areas, is it's a decent place to raise a family. I can understand why some folks move back for that reason, alone. I can't get my arms around why people would want to pay that much for the price of admission, but, to each his own.

Other than that, I can't imagine why anyone would move back.

Again with the sweeping generalizations and ubased claims with no support to them. You claim to be educated but do not show it in any of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM

96 posts, read 394,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I live in Irondequoit and I do not think this is completely true. Irondequoit police do hassle anyone that rolls into town looking like a drug dealer, but they need to since it shares a border with the highest drug and crime area of the city. However, they could be black, white, hispanic, asian, etc. I have a number of African Americans living on my street in Irondequoit, and the only problems involving cops on the street have been with a bunch of thug white kids.
Hi,
I genuinely don't mean to insult Irondequoit. My husband grew up there and I lived there for 7 years. But, truly, I know of individuals who did not live there, but were , African American and pre-teen age and were not recognized by the neighbors and thus police were called. And it was a public issue a few years ago that police were hassling black drivers. When I lived there, I know white women, friends from our kids' nursery school, who would not shop at the Irondequit Wegmans because they were uncomfortable with the "city" (code-people of color) folks who shopped there and would actually drive to Greece to shop. I don't mean to paint the whole town with one brush. I actually loved the Wegmans because it was the most diverse in the county and had a huge Goya food selection. There are all kinds of people who live there, but it really is true about the cops. No offense to you and there are plenty of examples to the contrary. Just wouldn't be my first choice if I was non-white.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 AM

23 posts, read 69,669 times
Hello everyone,

I was offered a new position in Ontario, NY (WOOPIE!!!!) ; and since I will be a contractor, I was wondering what healthcare coverage, dental plan, and car insurance worked best in that area. Right now I have Geico, Cigna, and Delta Dental. I am not sure of all the rates for healthcare providers in that area, but in conducting some research, I learned that Blue Cross Blue Shield is $368.00 per month (quote for Rochester, NY from customer service representative). If anyone can just point me in the right direction, I can move from there. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansu View Post
Hi,
I genuinely don't mean to insult Irondequoit. My husband grew up there and I lived there for 7 years. But, truly, I know of individuals who did not live there, but were , African American and pre-teen age and were not recognized by the neighbors and thus police were called. And it was a public issue a few years ago that police were hassling black drivers. When I lived there, I know white women, friends from our kids' nursery school, who would not shop at the Irondequit Wegmans because they were uncomfortable with the "city" (code-people of color) folks who shopped there and would actually drive to Greece to shop. I don't mean to paint the whole town with one brush. I actually loved the Wegmans because it was the most diverse in the county and had a huge Goya food selection. There are all kinds of people who live there, but it really is true about the cops. No offense to you and there are plenty of examples to the contrary. Just wouldn't be my first choice if I was non-white.
I can see where you are coming from and when I first moved into the neighboorhood some years ago, I do remember an incident where an African American youngster was going door to door peddling cards for a local pizza shop around 8 or 9pm. I would suspect some of the older residents of the neighboorhood called police about this person and the cops arrived as I was speaking to him at my door. They were nothing but civil with him though and informed him that since he did not have proper permits he could not be doing so. That being said, I think that was more the time when it was first transitioning from mostly white to mixed, and while some older residents may still be resisting, I think in general things are tolerant. There will always be those few in any area, but we will have to agree to disagree that the police are at fault.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
Hello everyone,

I was offered a new position in Ontario, NY (WOOPIE!!!!) ; and since I will be a contractor, I was wondering what healthcare coverage, dental plan, and car insurance worked best in that area. Right now I have Geico, Cigna, and Delta Dental. I am not sure of all the rates for healthcare providers in that area, but in conducting some research, I learned that Blue Cross Blue Shield is $368.00 per month (quote for Rochester, NY from customer service representative). If anyone can just point me in the right direction, I can move from there. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
The big players in town in medical care are Blue Cross and Preferred Care. Any car insurance for NYS should be fine...I have Geico. A lot of times, you can find trade groups for contractors that have group discounts for insurance. You might want to start with something like the Rochester Chamber of Commerce for leads on this if interested.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
The big players in town in medical care are Blue Cross and Preferred Care. Any car insurance for NYS should be fine...I have Geico. A lot of times, you can find trade groups for contractors that have group discounts for insurance. You might want to start with something like the Rochester Chamber of Commerce for leads on this if interested.
Thanks alot. I will be sure to contact them.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 394,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
Hello everyone,

I was offered a new position in Ontario, NY (WOOPIE!!!!) ;
Congratulations!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I have cigna and am not thrilled with it. If you currently have cigna, I would try to find something else.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Little Growth in the Supply of Physicians in Upstate New York, According to UAlbany Center for Health Workforce Studies Report
ALBANY, N.Y. (January 28, 2008) -- Despite overall growth in the supply of physicians in New York between 2002 and 2006, many upstate regions saw no change in the number of physicians per 100,000 people, and two regions, Western New York and Mohawk Valley experienced declines in physician supply over that time period, according to a new study from University at Albany's Center for Health Workforce Studies.

rest of article is below:

UAlbany News Release - Little Growth in the Supply of Physicians in Upstate New York, According to UAlbany Center for Health Workforce Studies Report

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansu View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks! The hard work is paying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area