U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,744 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Long time reader, first time poster.

It seems that there is a large element of social stratification in Rochester, particularly with respect to the Eastern suburbs vs the rest of the Rochester. This is evident from certain comments on these city data threads and during the course of normal Rochester life.

Discuss.

Also- does anyone have particular stories regarding this? For example, I know from personal experience that when someone mentions what area they're from it's considered a BIG deal to others I'm with (ie if someone is from a nice vs not-so-nice area).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Rochester
859 posts, read 1,742,790 times
Reputation: 1206
^As you can see, racial tensions are very high in Rochester. We are one of the most segregated metros in the entire country. In every single aspect of our culture we are divided. Social class, residence, race, ethnicity, income, education etc. we are not united. This is a very cold town, and I'm not talking about the weather. People from the suburbs hate urban residents. People from the east side hate people from the west side. Daily stabbings. You walk down the street and nobody communicates unless its to provoke or act aggressive towards you. Perhaps its an illusion created by the media, but things seem to be getting worse with time and we appear to be far behind the rest of society.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
 
64,125 posts, read 89,519,327 times
Reputation: 13981
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
^As you can see, racial tensions are very high in Rochester. We are one of the most segregated metros in the entire country. In every single aspect of our culture we are divided. Social class, residence, race, ethnicity, income, education etc. we are not united. This is a very cold town, and I'm not talking about the weather. People from the suburbs hate urban residents. People from the east side hate people from the west side. Daily stabbings. You walk down the street and nobody communicates unless its to provoke or act aggressive towards you. Perhaps its an illusion created by the media, but things seem to be getting worse with time and we appear to be far behind the rest of society.
I don't know if it is one of the most segregated metros in the country, but metros in the Northeast and Midwest tend to be more segregated due to more ethnic based concentrations along with racial concentration in terms of housing. Western suburbs seem to be more integrated, while being more working to middle class, while most Eastern suburbs aren't as integrated. It plays out similarly within the city of Rochester as well, give or take. Black people have been in Rochester and surrounding areas for centuries and aren't a new phenomenon in the area. Even towns like LeRoy, Caledonia, Sodus and some others have Black populations that go back well over a century.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
 
199 posts, read 1,015,498 times
Reputation: 268
I'm not from Rochester so I can't really speak on the topic but when I go onto another certain forum (that happens to be another common site for ppl to vent in anonomity), the Rochester forum is like 1965 Mississippi! Even Buffalo and Long Island's [domain blocked due to spam] aren't nearly that bad and these are areas that are associated with racism.

(I would mention the forum but it's against the website's rules to mention competitor websites).

Last edited by Guidance100; 05-22-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 PM
 
64,125 posts, read 89,519,327 times
Reputation: 13981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
I'm not from Rochester so I can't really speak on the topic but when I go onto another certain forum (that happens to be another common site for ppl to vent in anonomity), the Rochester forum is like 1965 Mississippi! Even Buffalo and Long Island's [domain blocked due to spam] aren't nearly that bad and these are areas that are associated with racism.

(I would mention the forum but it's against the website's rules to mention competitor websites).
I think you mean segregation(even though racism is probably involved to some degree), as both the Buffalo area and Long Island are viewed as a couple of the most segregated areas in the US, based on metro housing patterns. This isn't necessarily the case throughout those areas, as there are integrated areas to some degree, but this is the view in relative terms.

Also, many forums being out the closeted racists and other characters due to the anonymity. So, unfortunately, that isn't surprising to hear/read.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,916,576 times
Reputation: 2744
The area is no more segregated than your average area in the Northeast or Midwest. This forum has trolls and is no reflection on day to day life. It is cold in a sense where people just kinda go about their day to day lives while staying out of other people's business.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,765 posts, read 12,007,663 times
Reputation: 35334
The OP makes an interesting point. Believe it or not, I've lived here all my life and hadn't heard the "east side/west side"[of the Genesee River] references until about 10 yrs ago when a co-worker (who landed here in te 70s from Louisiana) began to I.D. everyone using that criterion lol. I listen quite regularly,too, to a morning radio show and both hosts, also transplants, do the same thing.It must be something people who move to this area are ultimately schooled on!

P.S. I'm two weeks into a casted broken wrist on my dominant hand, so please excuse any lack of self-editing you might encounter on my posts. It's time-consuming and tiresome pecking with one hand!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,609 posts, read 2,869,095 times
Reputation: 1468
Personal experience:

I dated (albeit briefly) a girl there several years ago who grew up in Perinton. Upon hearing where I'd grown up (Town of Greece) her father who lives in a different state told her she shouldn't date guys who are from Greece. Honestly, Rochester has some of the most sheltered people in America, many of them have little life experience beyond Monroe Cty.

Where did she live at the time? Why East Rochester, of course, and last I'd heard she still lives there and never married. An East Rocheeter resident looking down her nose at Greece people. East Rochester is a ghetto, these days, and a haven for drug dealers.

Where I grew up, the people in the neighborhood worked in skilled trades, engineering, management jobs in manufacturing, medicine, dentistry, law, academia, public schools, etc. So I never understood the whole east v. west side thing. Certainly parts of Greece, Irondequiot, and Gates have seen better days, but compared to a lot of metros Rochester's burbs have held up well. Greece alone could be its own city, a large swath of humanity live there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 AM
 
5,265 posts, read 15,340,200 times
Reputation: 4280
There is a very, very, stark contrast filled with tension between suburban residents and city residents to be sure. But at least in my experience the whole "East side v West side rivalry" within the metro is tongue in cheek for the most part

Greece is huge; larger than the population of all 3 P-towns combined. There are pockets of newer wealthy suburbia in Greece that easily rival that of those towns; especially in the northern and western sections of Greece.

I'd imagine most people on the East side have family/friends on the West side and vice versa. I personally know a lot of people who grew up in very middle-class blue collar neighborhoods in Greece in the 70s/80s who now live in upper-middle class white-collar neighborhoods all over the area.

Again though; there is no denying the deep-seeded bitterness between city and suburban residents.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM
 
270 posts, read 413,780 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Personal experience:

I dated (albeit briefly) a girl there several years ago who grew up in Perinton. Upon hearing where I'd grown up (Town of Greece) her father who lives in a different state told her she shouldn't date guys who are from Greece. Honestly, Rochester has some of the most sheltered people in America, many of them have little life experience beyond Monroe Cty.

Where did she live at the time? Why East Rochester, of course, and last I'd heard she still lives there and never married. An East Rocheeter resident looking down her nose at Greece people. East Rochester is a ghetto, these days, and a haven for drug dealers.

Where I grew up, the people in the neighborhood worked in skilled trades, engineering, management jobs in manufacturing, medicine, dentistry, law, academia, public schools, etc. So I never understood the whole east v. west side thing. Certainly parts of Greece, Irondequiot, and Gates have seen better days, but compared to a lot of metros Rochester's burbs have held up well. Greece alone could be its own city, a large swath of humanity live there.
Why do people look down on Greece NY in Rochester?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top