Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's bigger, better, nicer, has lots of art and music. Artists have to apply to be included; I'm not sure how it's handled with the Lilac Festival.

Why am I in North Carolina telling you this? Isn't anyone up there?

The Fairy House Tour is, from what I can see, a promotional gimmick thought up by the author of a book about fairy houses. Fairy houses are tiny little tabletop gardens. So no, the fairy house tour is no way "like" the Lilac Festival. Two different concepts.
Thanks for the info. I believe the vendors at Lilac Fest are juried as well.

Why haven't locals been on here? School has been wrapping up this week, graduations happening, parties, etc. I knew someone would eventually respond. Also, it's not as big as Lilac Fest so not as many people have attended. I know people from Albany who've gone to Lilac Fest. It's known outside of ROC. Corn Hill Fest not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
ANYWAYS.....poor Brentwood came on here trying to find out about the Corn Hill arts festival and the parking situation down there.

The only one of those places listed that is a parking garage is the one on Woodbury. It sits diagonal from St Mary's church downtown. The rest are open lots. I have no idea about the rates though I think open lots tend to charge more than garages.
For Lilac Fest parking was $5 in the lots around Highland Park. Could this be the norm for ROC festivals maybe?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 27,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
For Lilac Fest parking was $5 in the lots around Highland Park. Could this be the norm for ROC festivals maybe?
They charge more for parking during Wegman's WPGA as you can see along Jefferson road near the country club.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinniadreamer1 View Post
They charge more for parking during Wegman's WPGA as you can see along Jefferson road near the country club.
Not to nitpick, but a golf game is not a festival. I asked if the $5 parking fee was the norm for festivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Here is info on Corn Hill, which is organized by residents of the Corn Hill neighborhood:
http://cornhillartsfestival.com/wp-c...info_FINAL.pdf

Up to 250,000 people attend the Corn Hill Festival.

Up to 500,000 attend the Lilac Festival.

Twenty years ago, I found the Lilac Festival pretty lame (it's grown since then), and I loved the Corn Hill Festival.

And moving South -- it's not the Shangri-La it's cracked up to be. We're 2 hours from the ocean. The humidity here is a killer -- not even the dogs want to go outside. Mosquitoes have their own union. And traffic is getting worse, of course.

I miss Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM

55 posts, read 132,435 times
Sorry, I thought people were kidding when they asked "what is the Corn Hill Arts Festival"?

For Rochesterians, it is one of the four big summer festivals (the others being Lilac in May, Park Ave. in August, and Clothesline in September), and the only one that is truly neighborhood-based. Clothesline probably has the best art, but Corn Hill is really the best overall.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
Sorry, I thought people were kidding when they asked "what is the Corn Hill Arts Festival"?

For Rochesterians, it is one of the four big summer festivals (the others being Lilac in May, Park Ave. in August, and Clothesline in September), and the only one that is truly neighborhood-based. Clothesline probably has the best art, but Corn Hill is really the best overall.
I'll be going with a childhood friend I haven't seen for many decades -- and she's lived in Rochester all her life. She's never been!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I've lived in Rochester most of my life, and never been to the Corn Hill art's festival. I've only been to the Lilac Festival maybe 3 or 4 times!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here is info on Corn Hill, which is organized by residents of the Corn Hill neighborhood:
http://cornhillartsfestival.com/wp-c...info_FINAL.pdf

Twenty years ago, I found the Lilac Festival pretty lame (it's grown since then), and I loved the Corn Hill Festival.

And moving South -- it's not the Shangri-La it's cracked up to be. We're 2 hours from the ocean. The humidity here is a killer -- not even the dogs want to go outside. Mosquitoes have their own union. And traffic is getting worse, of course.

I miss Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes!
Wow! There's faaaaaaaaaaar more vendors! That should be exciting since it's mostly artists. I'll definitely have to check this out. Thanks for posting!

I lived in SC and was 2 1/2 hours from the ocean. It was all desert where I lived with major humidity.....desert = sand + sun. 100+ degrees was pretty common most of the summer. To say it sucked, would be an understatement. Our dogs never did like going outside. The dog from Jersey especially HATED going outside. He had no need to ever go outdoors in his mind. I think he would have preferred using the toilet! You're not kidding about mosquitoes! Those suckers are huge and there's about 8 million per square inch down there.

Come up for a visit! Bring the dogs. They'll enjoy the cool weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post

Not everyone on here is from Rochester. And believe it or not, there are plenty of newcomers to the area like me. I never heard of the Corn Hill Festival until lovesbrentwood posted about it yet I've heard about Lilac Fest for well over 10 years. Even Albany knows about Lilac Fest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area