Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeps77 View Post
I have not been there. I have in fact been too Wegmans, lilac festival, park ave festival and many others. Wegmans is a beauty in it self. I just can't see how this beauty can be beat. plus we have seasons change here that includes a magnificent spring, summer and fall. Not at all oppressive high heat levels as dwn sth.
How embarrassing. You haven't really been anywhere and your weather opinions are based on a perception of the South. You sound like a genius. Best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 AM

18 posts, read 24,557 times
Ok then W/O being biased what are the positive and negatives of both locations? what do you miss of Rochester? What dose outside of Rochester have to offer that is not available in Rochester? What about the educational structure and the difference in northern and southern culture? Col, Humidity, home feeling and just the area in General.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Quote:
I-M-O it appears to lack what dwn twn Rochester has in beauty ,cultural and festivals.
Wow, you're able to tell that from just a handful of random pictures depicting .0000001% of Charleston? That's amazing!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM

18 posts, read 24,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Wow, you're able to tell that from just a handful of random pictures depicting .0000001% of Charleston? That's amazing!
Thank you for noticing my outstanding and unique ability. I always as far back as I can remember, I was able too see much more then just what's shown in a photo.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Is the ocean in Charleston muddier than places in the Northeast? From your pics and the pics I see online, the ocean water looks brown. I could be wrong, its just what I've seen in photos.

No offense to Charleston or anywhere else, but I love NJ beaches, especially South Jersey beaches. And I say that even though I hate 80% of the things about NJ. Our beaches are heavily quartz sand, so the water (surprisingly) is pretty blue and clear without any real turbidity. I'll be the first to admit you'd never expect that in NJ, with our reputation for pollution.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Is the ocean in Charleston muddier than places in the Northeast? From your pics and the pics I see online, the ocean water looks brown. I could be wrong, its just what I've seen in photos.

No offense to Charleston or anywhere else, but I love NJ beaches, especially South Jersey beaches. And I say that even though I hate 80% of the things about NJ. Our beaches are heavily quartz sand, so the water (surprisingly) is pretty blue and clear without any real turbidity. I'll be the first to admit you'd never expect that in NJ, with our reputation for pollution.
Somewhat. It's not super brown, but more of a blueish-brown mixture. It's pretty much the sand churn and the particular currents throughout the NC/SC/GA/NorthernFL coastline. It gets super blue not far out, but they call this area the Lowcountry. The slope into the ocean is super gradual. Tides are extreme because of that and the break is full of sand. It feels AWESOME to lay in the surf because of it!

I took a look back at my photos from Carolina Beach (NC) and Atlantic City (multiple visits to both), and it's all pretty much the same color, though. The real nice aqua blue color is further south.

The best part is that the temperature of the water gets up to 82/83 degrees in July and August. Swimming is awesome. I swam in October and November as well and the temperature was reminiscent of normal Lake Ontario temperature during the summer.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
I-M-O it appears to lack what dwn twn Rochester has in beauty ,cultural and festivals.
Downtown Rochester is a depressing hole, by comparison.

We drive down to Charleston about 4 times per year, the islands around there are really nice. During the off-season condo rentals can be had for real cheap.

I laugh hard when Rochester people equate South Carolina with Myrtle Beach. From what I've heard and read MB is a trap, really, we've never been but might someday check out the House of Blues for a show, that's it. We have no reason to go there, but plenty of Rochesterians seem to like MB for some strange reason. Mention Charleston and you get that glazed-over look from people up there.

"Rochester people" who 'down on' other parts of the country really need to get out more often.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Downtown Rochester is a depressing hole, by comparison.

We drive down to Charleston about 4 times per year, the islands around there are really nice. During the off-season condo rentals can be had for real cheap.

I laugh hard when Rochester people equate South Carolina with Myrtle Beach. From what I've heard and read MB is a trap, really, we've never been but might someday check out the House of Blues for a show, that's it. We have no reason to go there, but plenty of Rochesterians seem to like MB for some strange reason. Mention Charleston and you get that glazed-over look from people up there.

"Rochester people" who 'down on' other parts of the country really need to get out more often.
lol so true. I'd rep you 100 times if I could.

MB is a trap. We have met the in-laws there to pick up our son from a weekend in Wilmington with them and it's trap city. Not as bad and bright as Atlantic City, but more of a beach scene, for sure. It is funny though. Back in Rochester, I wanted to go to Myrtle and my friends who went South every few years loved it, but now that I'm down here, it's a trap for Ohioans/Nyers and a place that we sometimes find as the butt of jokes!

Ha! And I've seen that glazed-over look so many times. But that's if you can get past the usual stereotyping Northerners do to the South based on what they saw on TV.

Also, your closing statement is so true. There may be a few, that for some insane reason, have been out and love Rochester, but most don't know what they are missing.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Somewhat. It's not super brown, but more of a blueish-brown mixture. It's pretty much the sand churn and the particular currents throughout the NC/SC/GA/NorthernFL coastline. It gets super blue not far out, but they call this area the Lowcountry. The slope into the ocean is super gradual. Tides are extreme because of that and the break is full of sand. It feels AWESOME to lay in the surf because of it!

I took a look back at my photos from Carolina Beach (NC) and Atlantic City (multiple visits to both), and it's all pretty much the same color, though. The real nice aqua blue color is further south.

The best part is that the temperature of the water gets up to 82/83 degrees in July and August. Swimming is awesome. I swam in October and November as well and the temperature was reminiscent of normal Lake Ontario temperature during the summer.
Jealous...I love warm ocean temps. Myrtle Beach is gaudy but the water is sooo warm there.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I've traveled and spent a lot of time in South Carolina and visited Rochester a few times. Look, both places have their pros and cons; it's that simple. But if push came to shove, I personally would rather live in Rochester, because of the following reasons: (a) culture, (b) climate, (c) architecture, (d) liberal politics, (e) less religion, (f) scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area